//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: my $100 3 wheeled find! atc 70 build/restore thread

--
    Straightening a frame is very easy. It's actually two issues you need to deal with, the bent frame causing the fender rub and the bent steering stop marking the tank. I have a theory why they bend in the first place , its because kids don't have the physical strength to activate the hand brake and the machine hit things dead on. I've straightened two now and haven't been easy on them. No repeat issues so far. PM me if you need straightening pictures.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    i found this thread for fixing the frame. they recommend a 3 ton bottle jack. i just picked up a nice 4 ton bottle jack from harbor freight last week for $19 shipped

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...front-fender-Q

and to everyone else, i guess ill make this thread my build thread for this little guy. should have some time on friday to put the carb on, dump a splash of gas in and see what itll do. i have high hopes that itll run
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2004 Kawasaki KFX700 V Force
    1985 Suzuki LT230GE(wifes toy)
    1985 Honda ATC 70
    1979 Honda ATC 70 (daughters toy)

--
    Thanks for the link. That will be an off season project for me. It barely rubs right now.

--
    Well finally got around to attempting to get this little guy to run. Plumbed up fuel lines put In new fuel filters' installed tank and new carb. Pulled and pulled and pulled with out even getting a pop out of it. Put in a tiny amount of gas through spark plug hole. Got it to pop once then that's all it wrote. Still has good spark. Its getting gas into the carb. I'm thinking it just too cold to start right now, unless it has a problem that I don't know about. But it has gas,spark, and compression. When I gave up on it and pushed it back into the garage i pulled the spark plug and it was wet, which tells me its flooded. Which also goes with me thinking its too cold to get it to run as it is 4 degrees here.

--
    Its 44 degrees here so I attempted to get this thing going. Forgot I had starting fluid last time I tried to get it running. So today i shot then starting fluid in the carb and pulled its guts out via the recoil without even a pop. It has spark compression and fuel. So I shot more starting fluid in it thru the spark plug hole. Still no luck. So I shot it again thru the carb and then held it wide open will puling. Now I can get it to back fire through the carb. So that tells me the timing is way out, now what timing? Would it be the valves out if time? Or would it be the points out of time? And how would I tell for each?
    So i got kind of fed up with it. In had bought a new carb save kit for the 85 on eBay. So I tore into that as the carb on it was leaking thru the bowl seal.Got that csrb all cleaned up and put back together, but dididn't attempt to start it yet' as the fuel lines are brittle, but I did by new lines and filters. So ya that's where I'm at with the 2 little boogers.
    Last edited by SteveCZ28; 02-18-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    1985 Honda ATC 70

--
    somewhat of an update. bought a new set of points and condensor. bought new fuel lines and filters. gonna install new timing components and see if that fixes it. hopefully it does, as i dont really want to tear the motor down. im still thinking its timing related as my 85 has only a pound more compression wise and it runs, where as this one doesnt, and just farts through the carb. i did buy a brand new set of red plastics for this a while back, which i think ill use on the 85 now to save me from scraping all the paint off them, as im considering buying a set of pink plastics for this one for my lil girl. been seeing a few pink ones running around on here, that actually dont look half bad. my little one might like that more. i decided also, im keeping the 85 atc 70 now, as earlier i didnt know what i was going to do with it. well i have a plan now as my wife is pregnant with baby number 2. were about 11 weeks along. so i guess there was a reason i bought 2 of these things so close together. haha. ill try to get pictures of where im at on these things
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    1985 Honda ATC 70

--
    Hopefully you bought a flywheel puller when you ordered your parts, you'll need it. Check for a partially sheared flywheel key, I've heard that's common. The timing on these can be finicky, that's why I think most of the pull starts on 70's are missing; from people pulling the crap out of them, breaking them, removing them and losing interest. I would also check to see if the cam chain has jumped one tooth if the ignition timing is spot on and it still doesn't fire. A plugged exhaust would cause it to not start either. Congrats on baby #2!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    ive had a puller for it from another bike i had. who knew a yamaha banshee flywheel puller would work on the 70s? saved me some extra cash. ill have to do some checking on this. ill check for the sheared flywheel key. makes sense. ill yank the exhaust too, maybe theres a rats nest in there from sitting for so long, i wouldve never thought to check that either.
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    1985 Honda ATC 70

--
    figured id do an update to this, as I recently dug out my 79 atc70. joined a atc 70 page on fb, and its recently re-lit the fire in me to work on one of the 70's. my daughter is growing up (seems to quickly). shes 3 now, and is fairly tall for her age imo. I kind of gave up for a while, when I last had it out to work on it. same issues, had spark, 120psi of compression cold, and was getting fuel thru a clean tank, and new carb. all I could do is get it to pop thru the carb. plus having 2 rugrats running around kind of ties up a lot of spare time I used to have.
    recently, I have cleaned and adjusted points (getting bright white to blue/purple spark) with a very audible arc noise when it sparks
    adjusted valves. I know the intake valve rocker was over .010 gap wise. and exhaust felt just as loose. tightened them both down to .003
    did remove flywheel to check for broken woodruff key(which it is not broke or sheared)

I pulled and pulled and pulled again with no results. shot some starting fluid thru the carb. got nothing
    shot starting fluid into spark plug hole. got one pop, then that was it. so from there I adjusted the points again. and unknowingly tightened the points too much, to where they wouldn't open, so I temporarily lost spark. found that out, and readjusted, and now have spark back again.
    I do have new points and condenser sitting with the bike that can be installed. but for the brightness of spark, im thinking the ones that are in the bike now may be fine. someone on the fb page did mention it could still spark with a bad condenser? not sure how that would work tho.
    im gonna go home and try starting it one more time today. if it doesn't start, im gonna lean towards it needing a top end, or other mechanical work. as im slowly exhausting all options at this moment. I so badly wanna hear this thing fire up. had it for 3 years now, and all ive heard is a back fire thru the carb. which isn't very motivating. lol

anyone have anything else I can look at or ideas for this thing?
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    1985 Honda ATC 70

--
    Well it took 3 years to do. But this little guy took its first breath of life again. I wish I knew how long it has Sat since it was last ridden, or ran. I just know.it had to be a long time. To have 1/4 inch of sludge covering the entire insides of the gas tank. Ruining the carburetor
    I got home from work yesterday. Cleaned the points again. Tightened the flywheel nut with my impact wrench. Then put my drill on it to start it, to save pulling it's guts out with the recoil. The carb has Sat with gas in it for close to 3 years as well. But I put the drill on and started cranking. Immediately it started sputtering and popping. I shot some starting fluid thru the carb as I was cranking to help suck it into the motor. It started popping really good then, and you could hear my drill pull a load, then the load would let up, letting me know that motor was indeed popping enough to catch up to the drill speed. I kept spraying starting fluid into it, and the more it cranked the more it popped and sputtered, until finally I heard the load come off the drill. I pulled the drill off the motor, and there it was. This little 3 wheeler was running on its own after who knows how long. I immediately jumped in the air throwing fists in the air in excitement. It did take some finessing of the throttle and a few more cranks to get it to where it would idle. Took about 5 minutes of running before it was running really good. Seemed to be loosening up the more it ran. After a little longer I was able to rev it up and let off and it would come down and idle again. I'm just beyond thrilled that it runs again. Now I can finally do the fun stuff to it, and prepare it for my daughter. And do some fine tuning as well. Probably gonna clean the gas tank again, and clean the carb as well. As the gas was a dark rusty color again. But everything now is little tinkering items.

https://youtu.be/flnoFISX3bU
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    1985 Honda ATC 70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //