//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front tire question 250 SX

--

Front tire question 250 SX

I noticed that my front tire is on my SX is wide like the rear tires.... I remember on some of the older 250R's and 200X's that the front tire was somewhat narrower.... What is the advantage to the narrower tire?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxsux View Post
    I noticed that my front tire is on my SX is wide like the rear tires.... I remember on some of the older 250R's and 200X's that the front tire was somewhat narrower.... What is the advantage to the narrower tire?
    Improved handling and less side slip in turns..

Consider this update if you own one..huge improvement especially if teamed up with similar rear tires.

This is the one I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV and it cost around $100 shipped..

Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0
    Tire: Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10( Feel free to sub in your own fav tire..but this size is a good fit )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full trike.jpg 
Views:	13570 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	186064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontr.jpg 
Views:	5417 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	186065

Alot cheaper and simpler than the alternative 200x/250r/350x front end swap some guys like to do.

Looks pretty kickazz too!
    Last edited by dougspcs; 02-06-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    i agree with doug. its an upgrade. minor drawback is it will bite and try to pin a bit more, but 100% worth the upgrade. nice name BTW. welcome aboard!
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Know that if you run a tire that is to wide on the front it will rub the lower tube . In the pics the tire on the right is the one that came on it , tire on the left is the replacement .

--
    I have seen forks wore right through on 250 sx's and 250es's from to wide of tires. Here are a few pics of my wifes sx with a narrow front tire. It has a 21x7x10 on it when this tire wears out we will put a 22 on it.

Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    I went the same route as the guys above, following Dougs advice, and really dig the look. Like what was said above, its a lot easier than a full front end change over.

--
    The 250sx is suppose to have three tires of the same size. Chopsaw posted the proper tire shown to be the one on the left.
    The common problem is that people (even dealers) just threw on a tire that fit the Big Red and called it even, but as the tire spun, the tire expands and
    as you can see rubs away the shock. Unless you plan on using it on a track, I suggest that you run the proper front tire.
    The 250sx was made for off-roading on the trails where the 250r wasn't designed to go.
    The tire for the sx should be 22x11-8.0 Flatwall for all three.
    The one that is commonly put on by error is the Big Red 25x12-9.0.

[B]
    1973-74 Honda ATC 70 Chrome Custom

Argo (ODG) Taurus 650, Pacesetter WR-PIII, Commuter 380, TE390, Granger, Sasquatch, John Deere AMT 600, Honda 250es & sx

Trikefest Survivor: 2014, 2015, 2016
    Trikefest Alberta: 2017, 2020

Trikefest 2015 A.K.A MUDFEST
    Coolpool: TURN!
    hoosierlogger: I'M TRY'N TO TURN! (Riding his ALT50)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDragontamer View Post
    The 250sx is suppose to have three tires of the same size. Chopsaw posted the proper tire shown to be the one on the left.
    The common problem is that people (even dealers) just threw on a tire that fit the Big Red and called it even, but as the tire spun, the tire expands and
    as you can see rubs away the shock. Unless you plan on using it on a track, I suggest that you run the proper front tire.
    The 250sx was made for off-roading on the trails where the 250r wasn't designed to go.
    Matt, some of the fun of rediscovering trikes almost 30 years after their production demise is exploring some of what the last quarter century has brought to the ATV world.

Tire & rim choices that never existed then are suddenly there for the picking.

Old school is great, but there is alot in that original tire setup that was lacking..balloony unstable ride, unprecise steering and handling at high speed and horrible side slipping at slow speed just to name a few.

I hope some day we get a chance to meet and I'll let you take a spin on my '85 250SX so that you can feel the difference a bit of experimental tire choice can do for that machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250sxbattle.jpg 
Views:	1798 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	186105

Not to say the designers didn't know what they were doing, but these modern choices didn't exist when they fitted this animal up with it's boring 22x11x8 boots..if they had some of the choices available to us now I'd be willing to bet they would have come to market with something much more exciting.

There is so much more out there than OEM now!!
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    Thanks for all the replies! I look forward to trying out a new front tire!

Larry T Moore is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I put scorpions on both my 250sx's and couldnt be happier...they turn great and soak up the bumps

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDragontamer View Post
    I disagree with some of this. The SX handles and rides much nicer and better steering response than it could ever of had with a 22x11x8 front. As for trail riding my wife has put more miles on that sx with the narrow front tire than most people ever would put on a trike. Front tire holds up better also because it slides less, do to the fact it can bite in better.
    Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    Wow! That Bear Claw on the front is sexy! I think after I convert my front end to the 200X front. I will be getting a Bear Claw. I was planning to take rear Bear Claws off my Auto-X when the SX is ready to ride.
    86 Honda ATC 200X Frankentrike (Project)
    80 Honda CB650C Conversion (Project)

3WW Feeback Thread For DasUberKraut

Retired Machines - 02 Honda TRX 300EX, 85 Honda ATC 250SX, 84 Honda ATC 200X Astro Kit, 85 Honda ATC 70, 85 Honda ATC 200 Auto-X, 83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red, 84 Honda ATC 125M (X2), 82 Honda ATC200, 81 Honda ATC 185S, 81 Honda XR250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by pipeline triker View Post
    I disagree with some of this. The SX handles and rides much nicer and better steering response than it could ever of had with a 22x11x8 front. As for trail riding my wife has put more miles on that sx with the narrow front tire than most people ever would put on a trike. Front tire holds up better also because it slides less, do to the fact it can bite in better.
    I agree with pipeline triker. Now that I have rode both my OE "fat tire" 85 SX, and my new "skinny tire" 85 SX, I agree that the skinny tire makes the SX a lot more agile, and the front end a lot lighter. It makes it easier while out riding to throw around the SX with that skinny tire on the front.
    Last edited by UPNATM; 02-07-2014 at 11:43 PM.

--
    Don't get me wrong, you can put any tire you want that will work, I do agree that the skinnier tires make for better turning and the fact that with modern tires you can give the SX some performance that you just could not in the past. But, from where I ride, where there is a good mix of pretty much anything from jagged rocks, riverbeds, soft to hard soils, sand, ice, snow, slush and jagged ice chunks protruding from the frozen lake.
    This is where the balloon tires show their ability to take on the surfaces.

Now, again, don't get me wrong, If I were in more tame areas where the ground is flat, dirt most of the year and not doing any hill climbing. I would gladly put a narrower tire on mine, some nice modern rears too.

It comes down to where you are and personal preference.
    I am working on possibly going to Trikefest... I have some things to finish and paperwork to complete before I make my decision.
    I might be able to run into you Doug next time I drive back to Ontario.

[B]
    1973-74 Honda ATC 70 Chrome Custom

Argo (ODG) Taurus 650, Pacesetter WR-PIII, Commuter 380, TE390, Granger, Sasquatch, John Deere AMT 600, Honda 250es & sx

Trikefest Survivor: 2014, 2015, 2016
    Trikefest Alberta: 2017, 2020

Trikefest 2015 A.K.A MUDFEST
    Coolpool: TURN!
    hoosierlogger: I'M TRY'N TO TURN! (Riding his ALT50)

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Love the look of the modded front tire . My point of posting was to inform sox of tire rub incase he did not know . I like my set up , does a great job for me , I ride a lot of wet spill ways , cows stompin up the ground . It has sideways push at low speed for sure , but I like the way it goes thru swampy ground .

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //