//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda line tachometer, canister repair.

--
    Now that's some nice work, well worth the wait, can't even see the scratches the broken glass made on the face plate. Almost seems a shame to reassemble. Once again John I have to thank you for taking on this project, WOW you do good work.....

"HJ"
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Well I reckon I don't hafta assemble right away. Come on down to Bundy Hill July 12th and take all the pictures you want.
    I am not interested in laying face down for a scan (oh hell no)

--
    Hey John, I think I'm in for Bundy. It will be nice to get to see a real one of these in person!
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--

Made more work,,,

Yeah, by making the inside and the bottom a wee bit thicker I found the electronics mounting studs came out to be a little short. Plus the original mounting stand off's are a weirdo thread,,, so I made up a pair of longer ones,,,
    Tinker with it some more tomorrow to kill the boredom,,,,.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach work 4.jpg   tach work 3.jpg   tach work 2.jpg   tach work 1.jpg  

--

Tach done.

Got spacers made (originals MIA), proper washers located and tach assembled ~ done .

The holding fixture I had made up worked very well holding tach in place + absorbing the blows from peening the bezel lip back over.
    Probably my only real noticeable goof is the depth of face plate is about 2mm to low,,, shows the white around edge but good news is indicator needle swings free.

Interesting project ~ thanks Harry ! john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach done 9.jpg   tach done 8.jpg   tach done 7.jpg   tach done 6.jpg   tach done 5.jpg   tach done 4.jpg  

tach done 3.jpg   tach done 2.jpg   tach done 1.jpg  

--
    Looks great man! Actually, its not a goof with regards to the face appearing lower showing some of the white. Thats just how they are. Mine is the same way. I have one that works great and has never been apart and I also have a broken one that is apart that I did the same thing you did by molding some of the plastic back and putting new studs in it. Looks perfect. Trouble is, something on the board is fried. I replaced a bunch of capacitors but still a no go. Then I took it to a local place here in Phoenix and they royally screwed it up even worse.

--
    Oh, okay,,, thanks for that info Vince ! I was just getting ready to get off this computer and look for some photos in old photo albums of the tach I had sevral years ago.

Harry PM'd me and said to go ahead and keep it for a spell and show it off + bolt it up to a X and see if it works so that is what I am gonna do

Darn shame about your 2nd. tach getting jack'd up ~ dam.

--
    Hey Dirtwheels, I've sent you a PM. I have some ideas on how to fix your tach. No idea if it will work or not, but I think an old Magna motorcycle tach has compatible guts. Details are in my PM.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    can provide more pics if you need them Mr. Swinehart.

--

Oh wow, it even works :)

Thanks Man Bear Pig, I am done with this project but definitely appreciate the offer of more pictures.

I stopped by DizasterFuns (Kevin Shively) place on my way home from work to test out Harrys tach and it still works just fine even after all the abuse it suffered years ago.
    Kevin had never seen one in person that he could remember so he took some pictures too.

I will be taking it to a get together at Bundy Hill ORV park so show Wonderboy and let him take pictures or what ever then it will be on its way back home to California towards the first of the week.

Got some more cool work coming up in the months ahead so looking forward to having a go at that project in cooperation with one of our very tall German members ~ lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach 7.jpg   tach 6.jpg   tach 5.jpg   tach 4.jpg   tach 3.jpg   tach 2.jpg  

tach 1.jpg  

--
    Looks fantastic ! Absolutely outstanding

--

Another tach project

I been entrusted to yet another rare Honda line tach project !
    Although not as busted up as the one original post was about,,, it will require it's own set of challenges.
    After having this peice for a couple of days I am running everything thru a thought process of how to best remove the JB weld and replace with casting plastic. Kinda sorta got a direction on that ,,,,
    Definitely will need to bor row a "cushion" for the mounting bracket. The taller cone shape ones you don't see ~ lol.
    I have mold made for the other two,,, go figure,,, should have made mold of both kinds now looking at it in hindsight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160226_230318.jpg   20160226_230254_000.jpg  

--
    Great projects John. Great work as always. I feel like I need a tacho for my 350x now. Would definately be the only one in Australia I would say! Now where does one even begin the search for a tacho! I'm assuming the 350x was the only model which was offered with an optional tacho? Does anyone know the original Honda part number?

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atcmatt View Post
    Great projects John. Great work as always. I feel like I need a tacho for my 350x now. Would definately be the only one in Australia I would say! Now where does one even begin the search for a tacho! I'm assuming the 350x was the only model which was offered with an optional tacho? Does anyone know the original Honda part number?

Matt
    They made one for the 86-87 200x too. Part number for the atc 350x tach is: 08172-ha5-00

--

progress

Spent some time tonight with this tach and will be concentrating on the housing repair tomorrow.
    I believe the owner thought the face plate would need some touch up but it is in near perfect condition.
    Who ever done the jbweld fix really done a nice job. That stuff is super hard to work with since it sets up so quick.
    The repair had the bolt at a slight angle but heck all broken area had a coating of jbweld and not all slopped in on the inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //