//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honda line tachometer, canister repair.

--

Apart and begining repairs

Got a great start on housing repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   5.jpg  

--
    That looks awesome John!

--
    Hey John!

I think you may have shown it elsewhere, but I can't find it...

How do you cleanly open up the tachs? Did you have the modified needle nose pliers to open the lip? I saw somewhere a fairly blunt set of needle nose pliers that had the tips ground in a special way to help open that metal ring.

EDIT: Ok, so I actually read the first post and see the pictures... Can you get some closeups of the business end of those pliers?

Double EDIT: I think you've got a good enough pic in the very first post. I see what you did there. Carry on with your normally scheduled program.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wonderboy; 02-29-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--

ruff in done

Done a backer pour on the inside in white to marry outside bottom to inside for durabilty.
    Plenty of sanding to do while I wait on some tank parts to come in that I need to make molds of to repair this project as close to oem as I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160301_203437.jpg   20160301_203520.jpg  

--

Got a loaner tach to prototype parts from

I gotta admit, I was not expecting to receive a brand NEW tach to use for making a mold of the little round stand off's for the tach I am repairing. Holey crap, almost to nice to be handling !
    And also included was a rubber cushion that I need to make mold of so I can produce a couple of replacement ones that are missing from the mounting bracket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

--
    That....is....beautiful...

--

and cute little molds can be made

Done the round peg thingys differently then I originally thought to do them. And got the start of the pieces I need to make,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160305_204844.jpg   20160306_094521.jpg  

--

picture

And another picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160306_091442.jpg  

--

About done with resin pours

Done with resin pours,,, well perhaps a little touch up (?) as the wet sanding begins.
    The remaking of the 2 post turned out well. 1 solid pour. Inside + out side married together for optimum strength.
    Only thing left to do with them is to cut too length. Not sure if they need to be hollowed out some what like oem but if need be it is just a detail to do.
    Lots of wet sanding coming up ~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

--
    Outstanding work. Its looking great.

--
    Great work John! Love watching restorations

--

Molds producing, sanding,,,, well its coming along

The Mrs. took the little molds and had her way with them while I was at work () ,,,, she definitely nailed both spot on and is recasting a few extras for me.
    The canister sanding is coming along, kinda slowly but improving. I done 1 touch up and will need to do it again. I just can't get the last of the "witness" marks out unless I do a over pour,,, again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

--
    Looks terrific John! I see that you poured into the canister as well - I assume this will strengthen the cannister making it less prone to future cracking?

Additionally, I tip my hat to you and Mrs. S! Those spacers are top notch! Can't wait to see the finished product!

--
    Yes, the mounting area will be much less fragile then originally made. I have handle a small number of these tachs over the years and don't ever recall seeing a one of them with the little round plastic sealing cap that fits into the housing where main wiring loom pass's thru.

--
    No clue lol,,but would spotting glaze cover up your witness mark? It looks like it would,but maybe doesn't adhere well enough?
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //