//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda line tachometer, canister repair.

--

Honda line tachometer, canister repair.

Being allowed the privilege to have a go at repairing one of the harder to find Honda line accessories, HairyJR sent me his Honda line tachometer that had sustained damage a long time ago from a shop near him. I will ask HairyJR to chime in + tell the story on that.
    Basically he wants it usable again so he can mount it back onto his 350X and use it

For some SILLY reason Honda made these tach canisters in plastic (speedo's are steel can's) so you can't pry up against them like speedometers that many of us have done taking those apart.
    I will just post up what pictures I have so far and until I get the faceplate back from a artist friend who is touching up the white number lettering and small scratches on it. She said towards late next week she should have done so won't have much if anything until then to show.
    So for those of you that never seen the innards of one of these (I ain't never), here ya go.

john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach 5.jpg   tach 3.jpg   tach 2.jpg   tach 1.jpg  

--
    Is it possible that the cans are plastic on these because they are more electrical and the speedos are more mechanical with just a back light? Just a thought.

--

Next step

I had a choice to make. As close to oem (and flimsy weak as designed) or go for a more durable repair. I choose more durable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach 1.jpg   tach 4.jpg   tach 3.jpg   tach 2.jpg  

--

More,,,,

and on to the 3rd. step (or some where around that),,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach 7.jpg   tach 5.jpg   tach 6.jpg   tach 4.jpg   tach 3.jpg   tach 2.jpg  

tach 1.jpg  

--
    Soo cool !!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--

More, for now.

I need to get some spacer material and cut 2 new ones (originals missing), wait on the touched up face plate and reassembly. Got new glass installed in the glued in grooved flat washer on crimped on bezel (pita that was).
    Neat little project to mess around with.
    Not a perfect cosmetic repair IMO,,,, but it will be usable once again soon Suppose I better give Dizasterfun (Kevin Shively) a call and see if he will have his shop warm next week end and if any of his 350X's will start,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach 6.jpg   tach 5.jpg   tach 4.jpg   tach 3.jpg   tach 2.jpg   tach 1.jpg  

--
    My Tach housing got broken years ago (1991) when the front end got removed by a local vendor to weld/install 3 x 4 conversion front end. I recently found a polaroid picture of how the mechanic disassembled the bike, notice the headlight, handle bar and tach all just hanging there. Glass is broken and the mounting studs in the bottom plastic where broken off. NOT a word to me about the damage. Never really liked the conversion so last year I cut off and reassembled back to a 3 wheeler, lucky I kept all the parts. Also attached a pic of original conversion when completed.

All I can say now is John you do good work, thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350x-11.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	186310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350x_0034.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	186311
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Awesome job. I have never even seen a ATC tach in person, they must be rare.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--

Hold jug fixture

I figured while I was waiting on the artist to get done with the faceplate I might as well figure out a holding jig for re-assembly.
    Done some looking around online and a fellow who was working on BSA + Triumph speedometers used this method to hold his gauges while he peened the crimp ring back in place.
    Sounded like a great way to hold in place to me so I made my own version.
    It will get screwed down to the hobby room table. I did not color the shore 40 hardness rubber, that is what this particular product cures out to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jig 4.jpg   jig 3.jpg   jig 2.jpg   jig 1.jpg  

--
    Wow! Very impressive. You're a speedo/tach surgeon. My hats off to ya.
    Thanks for sharing your hard work!

--
    Wow John, your work absolutely astounds me sir. Excellent work per usual!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

Marty is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    This guy has major skills going on!

--
    Your the Man John!!!!!!!!
    Need Honda ATC TRX NOS restoration parts??? or come check out our ATC brochure site
    www.offroadvintage.com

--

Hey, remember this project ???

Well the artist sure took her sweet time getting this back didn't she ! In all fairness she told me upfront she had quite a number of projects going on at the time I dropped it off for her to touch up.
    IMO, it was well worth the wait !!!
    I will be tinkering around with this over the weekend so ~ stay tuned

john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach is back.jpg  

--
    Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a scan of that faceplate... any chance you can throw that on a scanner? Or can you get a real nice straight-on picture? I'm trying to recreate that faceplate. (nice work by the artist to touch that up, by the way...)
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //