//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Specific pre-trikefest footage needed

--
    Blog Entries

Specific pre-trikefest footage needed

We'll be making a list of specific shots we need in this thread for those of you willing and able to supply them. These are for what is planned to be a collage of user submitted opening footage. Just quick shots I can use to break things up, for transitions, that sort of thing. Of course these are just suggestions. As I've been saying all along, feel free to get creative but some of these will help me out. Just keep in mind these will be real quick shots in the final cut so there's no need for long takes with most of this. With the exception of potential time lapse stuff.

Don't forget to make sure there's enough light! If there's not enough light your camera will compensate. This compensation adds noise. This noise will be increasingly obvious on bigger screens. A well lit scene will allow your camera to capture what it's seeing much more cleanly.

-Opening and closing close ups of tool chest drawers. Couple different angles.

-Installing of parts on trikes. Adding fluids, etc. Again, different angles, close ups.

-Cleaning of trikes.

-Loading the truck/trailer. Easy way to do this is to let a GoPro run, prefer in 1080p mode but 720p has a wider FOV so that works too. Avoid using a 60fps setting for just this part. Always use 60fps for action shots. For this though it's just a waste. I can speed it up in post and make essentially a poor mans time lapse. If you want to get fancy you can use the oven timer trick for a panning time lapse. I did that in the Invasion 2011 vid if you want to see an example. That would make a good shot for loading or even wrenching in the garage if there's enough light. You just let the camera run for 20 minutes or something. Easy. I want the RAW files though. Don't speed them up for me. And before anyone goes there, I know this is not the proper method for doing a time lapse. It's the EASY way and it will work for what we're doing. Not to mention it has the added benefit of variable speed in post.

-Welding shots or any kind of fabrication. Billy will be getting some of these for sure but if any of you are able to capture that with a quality camera I might be able to do something cool with it. Don't go through much trouble with this one though. If it's easy for you, grab it for me. If not, no worries.

-Opening and closing of garage/trailer doors. Again multiple angles and zoom levels.

-On the highway. Tavel footage. REALLY important. Especially for those of you that travel in... interesting groups. lol. Break out the camera once in a while on the road. Film the driver, film the passenger, film the road, film the road from the rear view mirror, film the trikes riding in the trailer. It sounds like a lot but you could do all of that in just a few minutes. Film a stop for food or gas. Interview your buddy while he's putting gas in the truck. Go up to a stranger and excitedly tell them you're going to Trikefest. Just whatever. If you fly film that. See if you can get a window seat and film the take off and landing. TURN THE CAMERAS ON YOURSELVES if you're so inclined.

-Testing/tuning trikes. Starting them up, rev, etc. Close up of 2-stroke smoke. Or 4-stroke smoke if you need rings.

-Here's one I think would be really cool if anyone wants to do it. If you are coming to trikefest with your kids. Grab the camera when you wake them up the day you're leaving. Kind of like you would on Christmas morning. Might be cool and useful, might not. I think I could use a little bit of that though. If any of your kids are competing in the mini mx get me some behind the scenes training footage.

-Give the camera to a friend/relative and have them filming you showing off your best trike that you're taking. Pointing out the highlights like rare parts. Same way you would if I was standing there and you were showing me the trike. Have the camera person try to get good shots of the items you point out. Probably best to do this outside during the morning hours or better, late afternoon. Avoid mid day for this. Harsh shadows.

-If you have any difficulty during your travels, have someone film pieces of it. Flat tires, traffic jams, things like that.

-Just thought of this. Get some footage of the gas pumps when you fill up. Just aim your camera at the dial while it's filling when it's almost done.

Just some suggestions. More will come. None of you are OBLIGATED to do any of this but it would be extremely helpful and just make the movie that much better.

--
    I have some stuff like this but it's all just photos. Never been published though.
    Appalachian American Racing
    the home of
    Appalachian American Engineering

"Can't", never could do nothing

There's nothing like the sound of screaming 2strokes and the smell of race gas in the air

--
    Blog Entries
    I won't have any use for photos from past events. We'll end up with more than we could ever use from this year anyway. Unless it's just some kind of crazy cool image or something.

For anyone who ends up doing any of the shots outlined above let me know after you get it. I want to keep track of who has what. I need multiple people to do this stuff though so if you see anyone chime in saying they did this or that, don't take that to mean we're done with that shot.

--
    assembling some machines this weekend with a few people, I will set up my gopro and some lights and try to capture it and see if you can use it. Im thinking quick interviews of the guys working and probably an hour or so of raw footage from above in 1080p ( i think thats the default on the hero3 silver i have) of us taking a bare 250R frame and rebuilding the entire bike. It should go back together in about an hour with us 3 guys wrenching on it at the same time. Suggestions?
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Blog Entries
    Sounds awesome. Don't know what mode 1080p by 30fps would be. Billy has one so he can answer that.

Just remember gopros can't hear very well in those cases. If you have a safe way of using it outside of the case the sound will be a ton better. Or you could use the open rear door. I think yours came with one of those.

When getting a shot as your holding the camera try and stay as steady as possible. Handheld shots are pretty shakey for the most part even when you're making an effort to not move. Tripods or just solid objects to set the cameras on whenever possible help a lot. Holding the camera close to your body helps. Like tuck your arms in a little so your elbows touch your sides. Hold it with both hands. When panning pan with your torso. Little things like that do make a difference.

--
    I will be shooting once the spring rolls around. The X probably won't get out of the shed much until it warms up, but I'm doing all I can to rectify that. Provided I get some parts and money for my birthday next week, I'll film for you doing some maintenance work.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //