//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Big Red - 5 Inch Swingarm Extension and 6 Inch Lift!!

Stonewall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1986 Big Red - 5 Inch Swingarm Extension and 6 Inch Lift!!

I got this Big Red from a neighbor (apparently I have lots of neighbors with these....) a little over a year ago, but it sat on the back burner for a while because I was workin on other projects (my Suburban) and last fall I started college at Texas A&M. I had some time to work on it over Christmas break, which was when I built the rack and fenders in the video posted below. So anyhow, this year I finally have the opportunity to go the Mud Nationals with some buddies from down here, and I plan to take this BR since it already has my Vampires on it and runs the best out of all my machines. I want to spend my spring break gettin it all ready to go. As of right now my plan is to seal everything up with plenty of silicone and put on a snorkel, put on a exhaust stack, lift both the front and rear, and possibly extend the swingarm if I have time, rebuild the front rack to hold a cooler and still have useable headlights, and consolidate the electrical system into one waterproof box on the handlebars (eliminating the dash and handlebar switchbox). A couple things I need to know; how much angle can I put on the swingarm before the u-joint gets in a bind? Has anyone run grease instead of oil in the rear diff and how did it turn out? Any other input and advice is greatly appreciated.

-Pockets

Last edited by Stonewall; 03-19-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Changed Title
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1985 Honda ATC 250 ES Big Red
    1986 Honda ATC 250 ES Big Red
    2008 Honda Rancher 420
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 6x6 - Fire Breathing 627cc V-Twin Monster
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 LT
    1983 GMC K10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Liter Diesel

My Feedback:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-Stonewall

There is no Z in Diesel!!!

--
    I like it.
    Send me your address, I want you to wear my Shirt at The mud nationals!! 2XL?
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

--
    A fellow Aggie? Well Howdy You should get involved with the Formula SAE team, especially if you can tig weld.
    -Chad

--
    I love it!! Pure 3 wheeler passion right there............. Nice job building that rack!! Looks like you could drive a truck up on that sumbiotch...... Awesome garage by the way......huge.....
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I liked the video ,,, well done . Not to many I can watch all the way thru . Looks like a lot of weight on the back , and your a big dude . Might have to send that mono shock off to get it set up .

Chop

--
    Grease in the differential?

That's crazy talk..why would you ever consider that?

Grease doesn't flow, it would simply clump up and your gears and carrier bearings would die from lack of lubrication!!

And on the rear lift idea..some thinks it a cool option.

I personally will stick with stock height for the sake of my driveshaft. I'd like it to last another 30 years!!

Some guys do the lift thing..in my opinion if you lift more than 1.5" you best keep a spare driveshaft on hand at all times!
    Last edited by dougspcs; 02-28-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY70MAN View Post
    Awesome garage by the way......huge.....
    Yes awesome garage. What I'd give for a work area like that lol.

Looks awesome tho. You should upload some pics also with the fenders raised up and everything. How are the edges of the fenders? Thought about putting a finish piece of rubber on them maybe?

Stonewall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Captain I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveRider View Post
    A fellow Aggie? Well Howdy You should get involved with the Formula SAE team, especially if you can tig weld.
    Howdy! I wondered if there were any other Aggies on here. I’m actually already on the ¼ Scale tractor team, Aggie Pullers. We MIG weld everything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY70MAN View Post
    I love it!! Pure 3 wheeler passion right there............. Nice job building that rack!! Looks like you could drive a truck up on that sumbiotch...... Awesome garage by the way......huge.....
    Thanks! I wanted it to be real stout. That “garage” is actually my dad’s farm shop. The enclosed working area is 60’x100’ with a 20 or 25 foot ceiling. Modern farm equipment is so damn big you gotta have that much room to work on stuff. All 5 of our Peterbilts with 40’ grain trailers can fit in there at the same time, and theres still plenty of room lol, but a combine almost takes up half the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsaw View Post
    I liked the video ,,, well done . Not to many I can watch all the way thru . Looks like a lot of weight on the back , and your a big dude . Might have to send that mono shock off to get it set up .

Chop
    It is a good bit of weight, that’s why I’m gonna mount the cooler on the front rack lol. Shock seems ok for right now, but I may upgrade to dual shocks instead of the single.

Quote Originally Posted by dougspcs View Post
    Grease in the differential?

That's crazy talk..why would you ever consider that?

Grease doesn't flow, it would simply clump up and your gears and carrier bearings would die from lack of lubrication!!

And on the rear lift idea..some thinks it a cool option.

I personally will stick with stock height for the sake of my driveshaft. I'd like it to last another 30 years!!

Some guys do the lift thing..in my opinion if you lift more than 1.5" you best keep a spare driveshaft on hand at all times!
    I saw a Fourtrax 300 one time that had the diff packed with grease and an alamite on the fill cap to keep it full. I assume it was intended to keep water out, just like keepin the axle tubes full of grease to keep mud out of the splines.

I think I’m gonna extend the swingarm 3” before I lift it any, and see how it is at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by afdfirefighter View Post
    Yes awesome garage. What I'd give for a work area like that lol.

Looks awesome tho. You should upload some pics also with the fenders raised up and everything. How are the edges of the fenders? Thought about putting a finish piece of rubber on them maybe?
    I’m home this weekend so I’ll take some better pictures of the rack and fenders. They edges ain’t as bad as you’d think since it’s 14 gauge steel. I thought about the trim idea, but it would just get ripped of ridin around.
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

--
    Here's some better pictures of the custom rack and fenders.

1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

--
    i have my bigred lifted 2 inches in the rear with 27x12x12 executioners and have had no problem with the driveshaft
    current rides
    82' ATC110
    85' ATC310R
    85' ATC250R
    85' ATC250ES
    16' brute force 750

--
    That turned out pretty nice!
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by threewheelin-feelin View Post
    i have my bigred lifted 2 inches in the rear with 27x12x12 executioners and have had no problem with the driveshaft
    Good to know. Yesterday I took my driveshaft to the machine shop to be extended 4". I'm going to clearance the U-joint so I can run about 4" of lift.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    What does that fender set-up weigh?
    I don't really know, I've never weighed it. My guess is 50 lbs, give or take 10. It does steer a little lighter now, and it's easier to pop wheelies lol, but when I get the swinger extended it won't be as bad.
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

big yeller is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Sweet looking br! Iv worked on to many quads with grease packed rear end please save your dif and don't do it. As for "waterproofing" the grease still allows water in and grease kills the rear end. I know there is people that mud who thinks its good but it's horrible. It's so hard to get that crap out of the housing and tubes as well with out tearing apart.
    1984 yamaha 200k
    1985 honda 70...some times swap the 125 lifan for fun
    1984 honda 200es
    1985 honda 200x
    atvs:
    2013 Honda Rancher 420 ES

--
    Grease is for compromized rearends, if you have loud bearings, or a crack in the housing, grease can be used to both quiet it up, and keeps it from leaking out. I bought a truck once with the tranny filled with grease to quiet it up from a dishonest person. Luckily i had a spare and swapped it out one afternoon.
    Speds take like half a qt, seal it up good and check for milk after every ride, if its milky, dump it and start fresh!
    Rack looks good, but them front corners would have my ass scared! You might end up rounding them instead of the sharp 90* after you get a cpl bruises

--
    Well grease in the diff is obviously a bad idea, i had just seen it and thought I'd ask. Any tips for waterproofin the electrical system? Got a can of dielectric grease, and i'm gonna silicone stator cover real good. Also wonderin about liftin the front. SX forks are too tall for what I want, so is weldin a split tube on Mondexbrute style my best bet?
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    2008 Honda Rancher 420

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //