//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x Swingarm questions..........

jsmay is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

200x Swingarm questions..........

Hey fellas, just wondering. How strong do you think a swingarm machined out of a solid chunk on 6061 aluminum would be? I know calfab, and white bro made aluminum swingarms. I'm thinking like 3 to 4" think block.. Then machined for pivot bolt, and axle bearing.. Then slot the center for the shock, ad have several positions to bolt the shock. I'd sleeve the holes for the shock bolt with steel.. Also sleeve the pivot bolt hole and axle. I think that would not only strengthen but also prevent egg shaping.

Thanks Jason.
    200x race parts needed

--
    I wouldn't want to take on that job, for sure.

A"solid hunk??" You'd be shaving off 75% off the aluminum. I'd make a carrier, make the pivot and shock mount and then TIG weld it all together.

White bros, Calfab are hollow, not solid billet aluminum.........
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I can't comment on the strength, but solid? Even with aluminum, wouldn't it be really heavy, defeating the purpose of using lightweight materials?

--
    the entire thing would have to be hard anodized....any aluminum part you see with a bolt, axle, or anything else attached to aluminum suspension components was also likely hard anodized to prevent that egging....the threads are also usually formed rather than cut...different process that ensures threads wont easily strip out due to cutting across the grain with a standard tap....form taps don`t cut the threads into something solid like a cutting tap. they "smash the material into a thread shape" like forging in a way but without heat.

most aluminum swingarms I`ve seen had some machined parts usually the ends while using aluminum tubing for most of it.

the kind of billet you would need and the size required to machine an entire swingarm out of a solid billet would put you up around $1K LABOR+ whatever matrl costs for one swingarm unless you had the machinery and cad cam software yourself to do all the labor...I would quote just the billet at $600 minimum....folks don't realize what good quality aluminum costs these days.....then you must hard anodize the entire thing or it will still have a tendency to bend.....however hard anodizing does not harden all the way thru it will harden the surface enough to prevent wear and some bending.

you`re gonna end up with at least a 2500$ swingarm to have someone else do the work. Being that you only want one instead of 150 units also has a huge effect on the costs.

as for sleeving the holes in steel, that only prevents wear until the sleeve starts to move a little and then it will only egg the hole around the sleeve rather than around the axle/bolt....still requires anodizing to prevent this.

I machine for a living and I would suggest against the idea.
    Last edited by ironchop; 03-03-2014 at 11:39 AM.

--
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/catalog_cart_view.php?msg=

that's for a billet that's 4" tall by 12" wide at 4 foot long.....now while you don't need a whole four foot, you will need three for sure and on top of that you`ll need at least 12" wide rather than just 6"....I would bet the cost of that 4"x12"x36" would be at least $100 higher than the quote above for 4"x6"x 48"

--
    e-mail HRE and just get a steel one, they hold better anyway. He has a jig make to build swing arms like mine in different lengths and with different brake caliper mounts.

http://www.hreatv.com/custombuiltparts.html my swing arm listed here, billet aluminum would be heavier then my Chromalloy swing arm

--
    I stretched a stock one and it really isn't that much heavier

1984 ATC 200XR
    1984 ATC 300R
    1983 ATC 88

Feedback for Mike Pargiello

jsmay is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well shoot... Lol back to the old drawing board! Lol I was a machinist as well and do have a bridgeport and lathe in my barn, but had to air my idea out. I also know that certain metals don't react well with others as well. I just hate spending lots of bread on older parts that are usually pretty beat.. I will get in touch mike at hre cause he does beautiful work. Thank you guys for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Jason
    200x race parts needed

--
    If you already have the Bp and the Lathe, all you need is some material and a Tig welder
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    i have a 200x with a handbuilt +2 chromoly swinger built on it to a 450 honda rear, i didnt expect it to be so dang heavy, im not sure what the point and craze about aftermarket swingarms is? my frame was a xl200 dual sport thats why i had the custom swinger built, it looks amazing and can handle any amount of air you can dish but in retrospect i bet the stocker is lighter and just as strong.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //