//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 225dx running poorly

--

225dx running poorly

So here is what i have done thus far. New gas, new plug, adjusted intake valve (exhaust was still on spec), cleaned carb to my best ability, put air box back on.
    Here is a video of what it sounds like so far. Runs better after the valve was adjusted, but still poorly. Mid range throttle is fine, but everywhere else is horrible. Is it carb related? Should the intake valve be adjusted tighter or more loose? A new carb pieced together on Rocky Mountain atv is $300+, no cheap chinese replacements like atc's. I have two carbs but i am not experienced in rebuilding them, i might look into sending it to someone, there use to be a member on here that did it if i remember correctly. And the carb has a 120 main to compensate for the exhaust. I think stock is 112.5?

Any insight appreciated.

Keep in mind i only gave it gas twice near the middle of the video.

--
    In my opinion it is a carb problem, no doubt. The problem should be your fuel/air mixture screw, adjust it till you get it right but do not tighten the screw all the way up into the carb because you could damage the seat. The fuel mixture screw is number 21 in the schematics below . You may have to get it rebuilt, they are not hard to do and there should be a manual for that on this site somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbairfuel.jpg  

--
    That's my old 225dx correct?

Did you rejet once you took the clamp on filter off and put on the airbox?

Good way to get a good clean carb is to remove all rubber o-rings, and springs, and put the carb in chem-dip for a day. Take out, rinse with gas, and dry with air gun, blowing in all the little passages.
    84' Yamaha Tri-zinger 60
    85' Honda ATC 70
    84' Honda ATC 70
    83' Honda ATC 70
    78' Honda ATC 70 (140cc lifan)
    79' Honda ATC 70
    73' Honda ATC 70
    85' Honda 200s
    83' Honda 200e
    85' Honda 250sx

--
    I believe the manual says screw it all the way in until you feel resistance than 1 1/2 turns out? It was screwed in too far for me to get with the screw driver when I was cleaning it so I left it go. Should it be flush with the hole do you think or just go by the manual?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Cert88 View Post
    That's my old 225dx correct?

Did you rejet once you took the clamp on filter off and put on the airbox?

Good way to get a good clean carb is to remove all rubber o-rings, and springs, and put the carb in chem-dip for a day. Take out, rinse with gas, and dry with air gun, blowing in all the little passages.
    And yea it is. I'm trying to get it running smooth before I tear it town to make it look pretty. Should I go back to stock jetting with the 112.5 main? If not I'll have to order one and see if it works.

--
    Maybe not stock jetting as it still has the exhaust on, but it is getting less air now, so that main is probably too big.

When I bought it years ago it always had that exhaust and that air filter, so I never had to mess with it.

Maybe try some thing in between.

But you might wanna check the pilot jet too, since it's not idling right. That might have been bumped up when they put on the clamp on. I don't recall what that was, or what stock is.
    84' Yamaha Tri-zinger 60
    85' Honda ATC 70
    84' Honda ATC 70
    83' Honda ATC 70
    78' Honda ATC 70 (140cc lifan)
    79' Honda ATC 70
    73' Honda ATC 70
    85' Honda 200s
    83' Honda 200e
    85' Honda 250sx

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    I believe the manual says screw it all the way in until you feel resistance than 1 1/2 turns out? It was screwed in too far for me to get with the screw driver when I was cleaning it so I left it go. Should it be flush with the hole do you think or just go by the manual?
    First, get another screwdriver. If you did not remove the fuel screw and the jets, then you did not clean the carb.

--
    sound like its getting to much fuel,start from stock main jet and work up.also sounds like timing chain needs adjusting
    Signature pic removed,becuase of no helmet.

--
    This is mainly for DohcBikes, didnt wanna jack that guys thread. Figured id tell you whats wrong.
    After adjusting everything i possibly could (needle clip, valves, air screw, you name it) i got it running decent after fixing an air leak. The carb wouldnt tighten on the one side because when you would tighten the nut, the piece that it screws onto would screw out of the carb making it impossible to tighten properly. So i addressed that. I knew i still needed a bigger pilot since it was stock and it had modifications as stated. So idle-low range throttle still wasnt too good. But rideable.

So yesterday since it was raining i worked on it getting it ready for a benefit trail ride that takes place on a soon to open 6,500 acre+ atv park thats practically in my back yard. I went and got myself some jets the day before, 22.5 and 25. 25 was the ticket. It also had the wrong shock on it causing it to sit low. So i destroyed a air box, dented a battery box and even my pipe. So i replaced the shock with the stock one and now it sits like 4 inches taller. So running a pod filter for the time being.

Waiting for summer when i have money to order parts and begin to tear it down for repainting and re freshening. Some pics and junk.

--
    Awesome! Nice wheelie.

If you still need the correct shock, pm me I have one.

Isn't jetting fun!?? If I'm planning to modify an exhaust or an intake I always get a bunch of jets for that model.

Obviously many jets interchange so once its jetted correctly, the extra jets just wait patiently to be used on another project.

Seeing pics of that wheelie makes me wanna go tear somethin' up right now......

--
    No i had one, i installed it yesterday. Might go for a ride today and test it all out. I have an entire parts machine plus a bunch of other extra parts i got for free, like a couple sets of plastics. Its just actually getting to working on it. Last night it snowed, two days ago it was 80 degrees. So you cant plan on when itll be nice enough to pull it out.

I had a video of me screwing around on it, that was a still shot of the video, maybe ill upload it tonight.

--
    nice glad you got it figured out do you know what hubs they are and what bolt partern they are??
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--
    Pm cert88. It was his machine before me, he might of put them on. I have no idea what hubs they are. The rims are ITP.

brd812 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    4 x 115 Yamaha I would guess. I did that years ago, so I could swap between the shee and raptor. I run 20 x 11 x 9 pure sport bandits on my dx with spacers most of the time.
    "If you are going to piss like puppy, Don't Get Off The Porch"
    Trikes:
    84' Suzuki ALT185 (old Orange)
    85' Yamaha 225DX, piped and spaced ( First Girlfriend)
    Quads
    87' Yamaha Banshee, built and very very fast (The Whore)
    01 Yamaha Raptor 660, built and piped (The Beast)
    03 Suzuki Vinson, 26's and piped (The Crowd Pleaser)
    Once apon a time:
    85' Tecate 300 alky flattacker, 6 in over swingarm, 88 Suzuki 500"Quadzilla"PIA , 91 Yamaha Warrior Built and Modded. (luved that Baby Tank)

--
    I wanna get some spacers for mine. These seem a bit more tippy than my hondas. Maybe its just me.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //