//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda ATC 250R build / rebuild also with a 300kit

--

1984 Honda ATC 250R build / rebuild also with a 300kit

Well I fired this up last week and drove it to the shop. Took about 10 kicks and ran great, pretty good as it has been sitting since July and it is still cold here. I rode it around in the snow for a little and into the shop it went, never to come back out the same again. It was all low speed riding as the rear shock is blown out as are the fronts, makes it a little bouncy.
    What I am starting with is an 84 250r with a 300 kit, it runs great, shifts great, light works, and all electical is good to go. Has either a Sand Scorcher or Cobra full pipe on it, that i will be reusing most likely. I have most everthing I need for this build already, I need to get nicer footpegs, a chain slider, and maybe a better airbox,and a few other things I am finding wrong.
    Some of you may remember when I got this, I traded a ratty 85 Tri-Z for it. I have not done anything with it until now.

Here are some pics from last year the day I got the 84R

And now to last Monday nonthing really changed but I washed it and drove it some.

Welded up bars

Chain damage to the air box.

Guess what the front brake did not work either.

Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    Worked on this some more. I started taking it apart. Lots of stuff is bad, bent, cracked and rusted like usual I guess. I am going to have to use the 83 250R for some parts for now. These tripples are a mess. Front axle was seized in the hub. Only crack in the frame I found is the little seat latch bracket, that will be an easy weld. Gonna have to get some nicer foot pegs also. Can I use an 83 swing arm with all 84 suspension? My 83 one is all rebuilt. Also the revalved shock with the works spring is for the 83, might still use the spring. The headlight was missing the little spring retainers and had an interesting fix.
    My wife said perfect ebay listing title would read - RARE, atc 250R headlight socks. There was also some news paper keeping everything tight, looks like they messed the headlight up in 89 by the old news papers.

Some of the new stuff so far.

Shop cat.

--
    nice man, diving right in now eh!! looks like you got all gens of the R covered! Plenty of space too, thats a plus lol. like the helper!

--
    More tear down.

My one son helping get the brake rotor off. It was rusted on tight.

Gettin there.

GRRRRRRRR !!!! welded shifter.

Stripped and ready for some welding and lots of cleaning and then new paint.

Here are the other cracks, right along this factory weld.

Well thats it for now. Might try and get some done on the frame and get that shifter off today.

--
    dig the homemade stand also! Now the fun begins!

bigdaddyvw185 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice! love to see the fooler builds! especially the 300 foolers! Lovin the helper, Bet he is close to whippin that 70 around too! lol. Bummer about the welded shifter... In for more progress!
    Last edited by bigdaddyvw185; 03-17-2014 at 01:12 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyvw185 View Post
    Nice! love to see the fooler builds! especially the 300 foolers! Lovin the helper, Bet he is close to whippin that 70 around too! lol. Bummer about the welded shifter... In for more progress!
    That 70 is his He has been riding it since he was 3. My other son has a trizinger that he started riding when he was 2.

--
    Got the shifter off. Was not really welded that bad mainly just built up weld alot. Shift shaft is wore real bad and needs to be replaced, shifter is junk also. Got all the broke off bolts out of the frame, only had to drill one.

--
    Love the 300..can't wait to see the finished product..lovin those lo-pro rear fenders, wish they still made some like that, not sure why they don't they would sell like crazy..and I think I have the same pipe..is there a "22" stamped on the front mount tab??

--
    Worked on this some more last night. Got the cracks all fixed on the frame and started working on the swing arm. 83-84 are differant, the link mounts are in differant places. My 84 carrier is junk and the rebuilt one in the 83 is not great, gonna have to order a new one for the 84. Got the 83 all stripped down to get some parts for now. Gonna just put it together with all the not so great parts for now. The 83 tripples are real nice and going to use the 83 forks as they have no rust and the lower legs are nice, the 84's are a little beat up and have rust on the tubes. The 84 also has an extra guesset in the front of the frame, gonna leave it alone. frame is ready to be cleaned and stripped now. My wife found 2 small cracks on the 84 swing arm I need to fix also. Got a parts 250R engine that had a real nice shift shaft, so that is apart and will go in the 84 300. With this being an old race trike it is kinda cool that the vin and engine #'s match yet. Here are some pics.

New shift shaft.

Look twins!!!

--
    This is what I found when I removed the 84's axle carrier. It had been broke and welded up and then reshaped, what a mess.

lokisbuddy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice build I love the chalk out line of Alfred Hitchcock in pic 5 fools getting blasted on in your garage lol wild in the streets.
    200x build
    My Feedback
    The world is broken up into two very different groups of people: there are those who like me, and those who can go to hell

--
    Next up is the axles the 83 had this big beefy one stock width and the 84 had a for sure stock one. Is the one a NASA axle? They are a little differant by the sprocket hub but both fit the same.

Thats it for now.

--
    coming along man! Hey I may be way wrong on this, but I feel like those low pro maier's belong to the 85/86 R. My bro in law has an 83 and used a 85/86 rear fender and the seat sits on the rear fenders just like that since he didnt cut the fenders to fit the seat. Just throwing that out there, i dont know if I have seen low pro's for an aircooler is why i ask. Looking good man, keep the progress coming! Dont toss those fenders out though lol
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Your axle on the left looks like my nasa as far as the spline ends go and shape. Mine is an 81 version. The axle on the left in my pic is a nasa.Also if the castle nuts are flared and a little smaller than oem they are nasa. The one on the right is durablue.Disregard the circle and arrow its was for someone else.The gusset on the frame is a good addition a friend of mine had a 83 and his broke right there. My 83 has the old dull Mieres on the seat fits the same. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axle a2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	189579
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //