//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 1985 250ES just got a little brother....

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

My 1985 250ES just got a little brother....

Just brought home an 86 250ES. other than the front rack and the missing key ignition.....its a good start for a facelift. The plastics are not cracked, no dents in the tank, no rust in the tank, it runs GREAT, shifts smooth, and appears to be all there except for the rear cargo box and a battery. Need to reconfigure the wiring so that the electric start works again.

But the cool thing was when I raised the fenders and wiped the mud off the frame...its cherry! shiny black paint. And I started trying to bring the plastics back to life, looks like theres some good red under all that age. One cool part was when I lifted the seat and found a nice tool kit. The bag is wrinkled but not punctured, the tools were spotless, and there was a little Honda tire gauge in the set. Did the 86 come with these? I have only seen the tool kits on 85's. And I have a tire gauge that I got in 85 for my old Big Red, but it was brown and shaped different and didn't say Honda on it like this one.

Probably could have got it for less (paid $900), but oh well. It was worth it to me. Never had an 86 and always wanted one, and I wanted a nice project so here it is.

I had more pics, with the little honda tire gauge, the frame and of me doing some quick plastics work, but I am having an issue at the moment...but heres the ride home anyway....its really dirty and its going to get some Ohtsus put on it first thing in the morning....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4099.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	189739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4100.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	189740

The seat and the side covers are off during the trip home so I didn't lose em...

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Ah, heres the other pics. Took me a bit to get them off the phone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4104.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	189741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	189742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4115.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	189743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4120.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	189744

I hate the seat. That will be going quickly too. I want an original style seat cover.

--
    Nice find man, your other BR looks beautiful too!

--
    Congrats ! Can't wait to see her all primped back up ! Tire gauge was standard.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

clmeue37 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Nice find! I really wanted something with reverse (250es, 200es, 250sx) but I found the 83 200e a couple weeks ago and couldn't pass it up. The "brothers" look great together!
    1980 Honda atc110, 1981 Honda atc110, 1983 Honda atc200e Big Red, 1984 Honda atc200es Big Red, 1984 Honda trx200, 1985 Honda atc200s

Trikefest '15 '16

Before destruction a man's heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.
    -Proverbs 18:12

--
    Did some sanding on the plastics yesterday and got past all the spider webbing and surface crud with 80 grit. I tested to see what I could get with going back up in paper and ended at 600 so far with great results. Will go up to 2000 to finish it all out....but wow....it looks nice and red again and appears I will make it back to dam near original finish.

It's amazing what you can do with these old plastics. Makes me think twice about shunning some of the old fenders I have seen on eBay. This restoration process on these old trikes is easier than having to completely dismantle an old Jeep and restore from the frame up. Next, the tank will get some sand blasting and paint. Hope to have the brothers looking like twins soon!

--
    Ok....problem.

My 86 leans to the right a bit. I can't seem to figure out what it making do that. There's no real bend in the frame that I can see, and the rear tires are now original style Ohtsus that are in great shape. It was leaning with the tires that came on it as well. Anybody else ever encounter this? If so, what was the deal? This is driving me bonkers. I had to run my mouth about this being easy to do....

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	190241Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	190242

A before and after photo after hours of sanding, buffing, and little polish....I was able to get rid of the deep gouges and cracks, but I was unable to save the original embossed warning label for the 86 fender. Oh wellski....I have it just hangin there by a bolt just for kicks. Now comes round two....the right rear fender...

--
    This may be my best work yet on sanding these fenders....Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	190778Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	190779

Also just restored the front forks....painted and bought new bootsClick image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	190780

--
    Very nice work!!!!! Did you get a replacement ignition switch for it?

--
    I did in fact get a replacement switch. I have just about everything I need to bring him back to spec...now if I can find a matching NOS tool box, speedo, and headlight guard so the brothers can both bling it

--
    A little expensive but here is a NOS OEM seat cover on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1985-Hon...b8dc2e&vxp=mtr Looks like that 250 is going to get a good face lift. I know first hand it's a lot of work to get the shine back on those plastics, nice job on that front fender, looks great.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATE#1 View Post
    I did in fact get a replacement switch. I have just about everything I need to bring him back to spec...now if I can find a matching NOS tool box, speedo, and headlight guard so the brothers can both bling it
    You going to come out next month and ride?

--
    I might. Depends on work, got a new business starting soon....so hopefully i can get away some

--
    What kind of business?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //