//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My 1985 250ES just got a little brother....

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	191932Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	191933

Starting to get excited!! Seat cover came today. I did the Thailand cover lol. Shoot me I guess. This is gonna be a daily rider so I didn't need a spec cover, but it looks like it will be a good one anyway. I'm using a nice 85 keypad for now, I have a couple of the grey ones for the 86-87 years, but they would need some work prior to mounting. I found a nearly mint kill switch. All new bearings, grips, bar ends, etc. Just painted the tank today, going to clear coat it and then I just have the rear rack to blast and coat. Everything else is painted (except the foot pegs lol). I have to sand out the rear hatch and the right side panel. Finished sanding out the fenders and the left panel. The photo is fuzzy, but the front fender is almost perfect. All new cables. Re-wrapped the wiring harness and hooked it up for a trial run, it worked great. The front headlight cord had never been unraveled, had to unravel it to clean it then I'm going to reapply the tie. Found a NOS stator and flywheel on eBay (wasn't cheap, ya probably saw it lol), my stator wire was sort of chewed up and it drove me nuts. I may or may not use the NOS flywheel, haven't decided yet. I guess this will be a daily rider, that what I started out thinking I was going to do, but my OCD kicked in and I before I knew it I was standing over my blast cabinet with every little piece I off the bike, buying every little part, and just plain going nuts. I will post photos when I put the tank and seat on this weekend....hopefully lol.

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Views:	8 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	192085

First ride tonite since I tore it down. Used my 85 tank, my 86 is still in my paint booth lol....,it ran good, but it did die on me once. I haven't changed the spark plug or anything yet. The seat turned out good. No seams and no folds showing. Looks like an 86 seat.

--

Views:	11 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	192466Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	192463Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	192464

HALLELUJAH!!!!! I am about 97% finished, just have to tidy up a bit tomorrow, add the rear moldings, front brake cable stays, some minor house cleaning details and the little brother is resurrected!!! It's been a fun time but I'm ready for the ride!!! Added the before photo lol
    Last edited by OKSTATE#1; 05-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

--
    Had to use an 85 key dash for now, waiting on a decent 86-87 one later. I have a couple but they need some work. Also have to flip the front tire around and repaint the wheels. The rears are nice but they are the wrong color.

--
    Looking good, very nice pair!
    -Chad

--
    Very nice. You going to stop by LS this weekend?

--
    Prolly not, have to work this weekend unfortunately. Tomorrow morning though, it's Friday morning coffee and big red rides lol.

Can't wait to have the two BRs out side by side....my wife has now gotten the big red bug. Was going to sell the 86, but she's definitely hooked and I am glad, I didnt want to sell it after that all that.

--
    Oh bummer. Oh well, there is always next year.

--

Views:	9 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	192775Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	192776

COMPLETE!!!!

Finally got everything in it's place....all shined up and ready to ride. 4 day weekend coming up, my wife and I are taking the brothers out for a ride this weekend!

--

Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	193001Click image for larger version. 

Views:	14 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	193002

The wife and I posing on the Big Reds. Helmets are off since she wanted to post them on Facebook lol.

--
    Very nice transformation. No idea sanding the plastic could bring them back like that.

--
    It wasn't easy as far as the sanding goes. I had to keep going back over some areas. The photos don't even tell the tale really. These were as bad as you can get without severe cracks and bubba Frankenstein repair jobs. The top layer of plastic was like a grey crystal substance. Looked like dead skin on the heels of your feet. I was using 60 and 80 grit at first on the fenders in some spots just to get through that crap. Using that made the final sanding just that much longer. Not to mention I painted my tank twice...had a run the first time. Blasted it again and did all the prep, only to have a little dog pecker gnat fly into the paint and start doing a back stroke just after I had finished up. Luckily I was able to pull his little ass out with a set of tweezers and a steady hand. The paint ended up flowing in and it was right over where the tank decal went, so it essentially covered up that area. I was livid lol. There were other little issues that popped up, but I have almost all the bugs worked out now...heh.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //