//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Honda ATC Fat Cat Conversion(THE Fat Ass)

--
    After a weekend of testing I have learned a couple things. first it is way heavy to be lifting out when you are stuck. Possibly adding a small electric winch to the front for self recovery.(I end up riding alone in the deep woods a fair amount). I will also probably remake the rear axle assembly to make it lighter. The next biggest thing i will do is a kick stand. I thought it would not be bad to just lean against a tree but more often than not there is nothing there when you need it. I have a kick stand off an old honda 750. It rides quite well figuring what it is. runs down gravel nice through fields and soft ground nice. Mud is a hard place but it is for dirt bikes too which thats basically what this is just fat tires. soft ground is best very low ground pressure. being that it was a 1982 200e the electric start is really nice to have along with the high and low range transmission. High is great down the dirt roads and low is really nice for hilly of road and crawling through the woods.

--
    I really love your build I'm making a fat cat to but mines a hard tail

--
    If I were to build another one I would probably use an early 185 or 200 with no front suspension. And i would do a hard tail. It would be more like a fat tired mini bike. It would also be much lighter that way. My current bike is very heavy. I am tempted to build another but one is enough for now.

--
    Years ago there where pictures of a 250 sx converted two a fat cat, I'm looking for someone with any information on the build.
    Last edited by Timothy Geier; 08-29-2021 at 05:26 PM.

--
    The swing arm I used was off a late 70s Suzuki dirt bike. It is more of a square tube built arm. I went with it because it was easy to widen with it being mostly square tubing to start with. I cut the arm in the center and used round tube in the front and a square tube in the middle and slid the tubes over the existing tubes and welded it together. I have pictures in the albums in my profile.

--
    After a few years for testing it is time to fix the front lift. The factory forks for an 82 200e do not have very good suspension. With how high the back was lifted to add shocks I need to lift the front 4 inches. I built some temporary lift blocks and they fix the look and level the bike out. What is the best way to ether lift the factory 82 forks or upgrade to newer forks off a 250es? I could make my own triple tree and use proper dirt bike forks but that is a ton of work to keep my 25x12x9 tires.

--
    I finished up my 4 inch lift for the front. I took a parts fork for an 83 or 84 big red and cut the lower tubes and welded them on to my original lower fork tubes. Doing it like this gives me 4 inches of factory appearance lift. It also lets me run the newer style aluminum brake housing. It also allowed me to continue to use the ski mount I made that uses the old style brake holes in the front fork.

yz96 is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    Updated pics? Any advice you would give to someone thinking about building one? Was it worth it? Is it fun?

--
    I've been wanting to do one of these for a while now got a 85 200s with a broken frame. Wasn't sure how to mount the sprocket to the wheel hub but now that I see how somebody else did it I think I'm going to start on it this weekend. The only difference is I'm making mine without suspension only riding in sandy washes.

--
    I would for sure build another one. I did aquire a 82 200 complete with a bad rear frame. I plan to work on making it a hard tail this time. It will still have the 25x12 tires. It is a lot of fun to ride but it's not really good at anything. It's good on soft ground but it is just a heavy machine. It gets tons of attention when I haul it around to ride different places. I like to ride mine through the woods and over swampy marsh land. I stay clear of mud and difficult obstacles because it is just a heavy machine unlike a dirt bike. The reason I am going hard tail on the next one is to keep it as light as possible and at factory ride height with factory wheel base. In hopes that it is more mini bike look than giant dirt bike. I will add more picture's soon.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220312_111948.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	896.2 KB 
ID:	269909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220320_135503.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	706.3 KB 
ID:	269910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220228_172934.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	670.1 KB 
ID:	269911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220301_150241.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	694.8 KB 
ID:	269912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220311_105400.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	269913
    Last edited by kowboy; 10-13-2022 at 05:35 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //