//ArrowChat Code
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: My XR650L conversion

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Never heard of using plastic bushings for high rpm applications, I've seen brass used though. I suspect the plastic bushings must be high temp.

Sounds like the real fix would be to figure out how to mount up an actual diff rear end into the bike so it gives around corners, but there isn't much out there except like lawnmower rear ends that are not exactly the strongest for high speed driving lol.

Just an idea/theory that's a bit weird for a chain drive machine, but the shaft drive machines have bearings right out to the hubs. I wonder if some sort of pipe/support system made to work around the chain drive parts could be made and a shaft drive axle modified to run a sprocket + disc break would be a good option. Less stress on the bearings that way since it's right at the wheel, but keeps the same/similar driving characteristics.
    Swing arm bushings are not high RPM nor are they high temp. A lot of people use plastic (delrin or something of the like) for swing arm bushings. It is not at all uncommon.

As far as differentials, axle tubes, combined sprockets/diffs... Umm, no, nah, and absolutely not, lol. We're not re-inventing the wheel here. This machine is awesome and works great. You're talking about some very serious, unwarranted modifications that in the end are going to change the handling characteristics drastically on a machine of which I'm quite fond of how it handles now. I have zero desire to have a differential or start modifying things that work perfectly fine. Very simply, very easily, very cheaply, with very little effort and time, I'm going to replace my metal-to-metal OEM Honda roller swing arm bearings with a delrin bushing, which has give, which is all I need. They're worn out and need replacing anyways. Rube Goldberg was certainly interesting but nary effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    For the vibration based on low rpm is probably more due to the large engine size being a single cylinder than anything. The rubber dampener setup on the rear sprocket would fix that if you can figure something out for that. Just for an example, my dad's 650 rincon (and later 680 rincon he upgraded to) would rut up trails with the engine speed vibration, no other atv we had did that to the trails. I guess it could be called washboard like a dirt road. Theory behind it is each time the cylinder fires, it spins the tires a tiny bit, on smaller engines the tire doesn't break traction so it doesn't cause the ripple effect in the trails.

Anyway, the harness thing shouldn't be that hard to figure out on your end, just the main route is the most critical thing. The branches off from that are just measurements from the string to where like the regulator is at etc. This is how people DIY build car harnesses. The actual wiring and such is the hard part, a wire diagram or something probably would be needed for me to follow for wire color/routing unless you wanted to probe each of the connections to match where each wire runs lol. Having the machine/harness in hand would be easiest, but I don't think you want to pay to fly me out with my tools and terminals and such lolz.
    Yup you got it with the vibration. It's a really big single cylinder, and you feel that at low RPM. And you do know what I'm talking about with the rubber sprocket mount. So unfortunately those are not available for my application.

I'm glad you're confident in me helping with building a harness, at least one of us is, haha! If you think it can be done I'll try. If it can clean this pig up a bit that would be nice. I'm just uncertain if there are things which could be left out. If you made a new harness, if it's just as big and bulky, that's might not solve that much. Sure it would be nice to have a nice new harness, but this one does still work. It just needs a diet or something, lol. I don't know.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 01-10-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Ahh, I was thinking rear axle bearings for some reason.

The other option on the harness is to have fun taking it all apart, removing the unused wires, then re-wrapping it up, it could turn into a mess quickly if things are allowed to fall apart too much though.

I took a quick peek on ebay for a harness to get on hand and didn't know that the machine was so much newer. There's atleast a couple connectors I'd have to find a source on, so I guess I'm not as prepared as I thought I was lol. I was thinking it was like a 80's bike, but I dug back to your build thread and see it's a 2002. What all do you need working from the bike? Battery charging and lights I'm sure you'll need, but what about things like horn, blinkers or any of that kind of stuff? Here's a pretty crappy (small) wire diagram I found. Huge year range so I suspect it's very generalized.

https://thumpertalk.com/applications...4a3de20c90bb65

What all have you trimmed down on the harness so far?

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

My XR650L conversion

I'm hesitant to post so close to when Nico has, haha. A build like that can easily make others not look so great!

So the lipstick is going on my pig nicely. It's a lot more steel than aluminum, it's a low revving old fashioned four stroke, and the front end is from an antique. It's crude, but so am I.

I stripped the frame with aerosol chemical paint stripper which worked great actually, but it didn't touch the paint on the gas tank. I had to use my angle grinder with a wire wheel on it to get the paint off the tank, and it took a lot of muscle as well. I really had to lean into it. Now the frame and tank are both in primer.

There were other small issues I had to fix on the frame, like 5/16 standard hardware holding the grab bar on. Way too small and not even metric... The previous owner really liked his standard hardware. So those have been upgraded to 8x1.25. It needed braces for the rear fenders so I added those as well.

Bryan has my swing arm bushings done and on the way, so those are going to be nice to have here. I'm also waiting on a seat cover as well as a new set of decals.

The cylinder and head had to go to the machine shop for bolt extractions, which they did. I have those back now and on hand. I made a massive parts order so I'm waiting on parts and doing a lot of painting at this point.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 02-04-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Pretty neat machine. Looks like you had some issues mid point with ot running but all seems better now. Cant wait to see it finished.
    I had a new 06 xr650L back in, 06. It was a fun bike and took it up a 6k ft mountain in socal the first day I had it. Did 110mi with most being off road. Was great fun.

--

My XR650L conversion

I'm really excited for this bike and today it feels like it's reached a turning point. It's that time when things are going to start to be put back together. I'm really digging the Honda Passion Red but I ran out and had to order another can. I'm going to take a bit more care with the tank and do some sanding and priming and sanding and priming before I paint it. I'm going to try to make that come out as nice as I can.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 02-04-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Looking good John, but overspray is a bit*h. Think of painting as sex, you want to cover-up, cuz some stuff doesn't wash off with soap and water
    It sucks to get old

--
    She's going to be epic fabio! Digging the color for sure! What else is in store, ;-)
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Yeah that color is looking awesome! Can't wait to see this.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Looking good John, but overspray is a bit*h. Think of painting as sex, you want to cover-up, cuz some stuff doesn't wash off with soap and water
    Lmfao!! Funny thing is, I almost posted in your thread about how ridiculously clean your shop is! You build bikes like my older brother, lol! I'd like to have a nice, clean assembly room at my next house. I've been working in the back yard, driveway, and on the ground my entire life. The fact that my engine is on a work bench right now and not the floor is a big deal, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    She's going to be epic fabio! Digging the color for sure! What else is in store, ;-)
    Loose lips sink ships bud!!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hey Fabio - just wanted to mention something to you, as I have the same trike - and had it as a bike for 8 years prior. That "self destruct" feeling when pulling super low RPMs - it felt the same way as a motorcycle honestly. It always felt so odd having to shift to a lower gear, not for more power, but as to not shake itself apart, and to keep my kidneys in tact. Just a little FYI.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    That's some great intel Tim, thanks! I've never ridden one of these in bike form so I really wouldn't know, lol.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    OT but for your SX. Was it the swinger cap you needed or the clutch adjust??

Here's a nice clean swinger pivot bolt with a good cap, decent cost for a clean part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Honda-...KsX:rk:31:pf:0
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    OT but for your SX. Was it the swinger cap you needed or the clutch adjust??

Here's a nice clean swinger pivot bolt with a good cap, decent cost for a clean part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Honda-...KsX:rk:31:pf:0
    FYI, you can get the caps brand new from Honda.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...e8ecb833f2b58d

The bolt is out of production, but the locking nut is still listed.
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...e8ecb833f2b58d

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Lmfao!! Funny thing is, I almost posted in your thread about how ridiculously clean your shop is!
    I'll spare your thread the whole story, but I worked for a hoarder when I was younger and it made me a clean freak. Your shop looks approximately 3 million times cleaner that that fab shop was, I HATED IT. I don't mind making a mess on a project, but I have to clean up before I start the next thing.

Are you using a base/clear on the tank, or an enamel?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Shep has insisted I use the following clear. It's a very high quality two part spray bomb.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //