//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My XR650L conversion

--
    I wonder how it would look with those stock air scoops put back on, or would they not fit.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown 331 View Post
    I wonder how it would look with those stock air scoops put back on, or would they not fit.
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit. My buddy and I were looking at that when the two bikes were side by side.

--
    That's what my thoughts where the triples for the forks look too wide for the stock shrouds. You might be able to retro fit second gen 200X or 350X shrouds on it though.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    So another ride on the XR today, it's an adventure every time. I can't say it enough, everyone goes nuts over it... blah blah blah. This thing is making me a local celebrity and it wouldn't surprise me if it got me laid.

I made a couple of changes with the blinkers and headlights. Take a peek.

The turn signals are on the front side of the mirrors and I put some LED spots where the turn signals used to be.

Today I did some mild drifting on dry pavement. There will be a lot more of that. Didn't get pulled over today surprisingly enough. I've still got a lot of work to do to this bike but just no time. I really don't want to have it down for a weekend as I enjoy riding it so much. I took off today with an idea where I was going, but no real destination. I just keep riding and riding, I can't get enough! I came upon a Harley rider who was broken down on the side of the road and pulled over to see what the issue was. Turns out his throttle cable had snapped. I told him there was a Hardly Ableson dealer about 2 or 3 miles up the road and he said that's where he was originally heading. He's not from the area so he wanted to grab a sweatshirt or something. He called them up and they had the cable on hand so I went up to grab it. When I got to the stealership, there were leather clad bikers all gawking, of course. No sooner did I have my helmet off when the tallest, baddest biker of the group came over to tell me that "This thing isn't street legal!" I asked him why that was. He said "It just isn't." I asked him (in front of his oil leaking friends) to name one thing on my bike that made it illegal for road use. "Everything" was his answer. I asked him to name one particular part. He could not. Then everyone came out of the stealership to gawk as well, and I can't say I blame them. I grabbed the poor guy's throttle cable and came back outside. It was great talking with people but I felt bad for the guy on the side of the road. It took more time to talk to the gawkers than it did to get to the place and back. I ripped a nice healthy wheelie out of the lot and went back the the broken down guy.

When I got back to him and handed him his cable he offered me a check, as he had no cash on him. I told him no payment was necessary. It was then that he said "Y'know, I've been out here for an hour and bike after bike has rolled right by me without looking. Harley's, Honda's, whatever. Then a guy on a three wheeler rolls up and I was like what the hell is going on here!" I told him that's how trikers are. So we've got another one on our side.

Steve I'll be over soon! Possibly tomorrow!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Laid,really?Ha ha.Well it is possible with that sexy ride of yours.

--
    I've kept quiet for quite a while here John,letting this play out . I was literally picking up the phone to go buy this when you posted you were going to look at it the next day. Obviously,I then didn't call I'd seen it for sale here,and the desperation growing as it was posted on CL and Ebay. I knew I could get into it for a price I would be VERY comfortable paying. Sometimes things work out just as they are supposed too. And THIS trike was built for You It makes me feel giggly all over when I see how much FUN you are having with this!!!!! Just PLEASE keep the stories coming. And I will keep planning EXACTLY what trike I am gonna street!! Almost def a KTM ...Does it feel like it's gonna bite you quickly when drifting? Or semi controlled. That's a good hunk of weight down fairly low. Seems like it might be fairly manageable?
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    cool trike! i have a 2001 xr650l theyre great bikes. i see you have the smog stuff still on there. you should do the delete and do "daves mods" to the carb. it adds quite a bit more power and will run cooler with richer jetting. i put an xr600r je piston into mine when i rebuilt it last winter and it feels alot stronger it takes the compression ratio of 8.3:1 to around 9.4:1. these motors run very hot and an oil cooler is recommended. im buying a sutton oil cooler for mine once theyre back in stock. cheers, enjoy the new ride!

--
    Thanks for the appreciation of me enjoying myself, haha.

It feels like it was built for me as well Bill and the price was absolutely right. It's not without its needs right now, but still a bargain just for the fun factor which is off the charts. The poor Buell...

The drifting is in its infancy as of yet Bill. I've done it a handful of times and it's just sort of developing organically which is a good way to approach it in my opinion. If you take too big of a bite and push things too fast too soon, it's liable to bite back. Getting bitten back on dirt is one thing, asphalt is another. I've mentioned how you have to come into the corners hot and attack them. I've been increasing the speed a bit so what I end up doing most times now is hanging way inside and low off the bike and turning aggressively to the point that the inside wheel comes off the ground at a rather good clip. With just one rear wheel in contact with the road now, you can apply throttle and break traction. I've done it in both second and third gear, and that's on dry pavement. My intention was to start drifting on wet pavement but it's just been developing on its own as I ride. The rear tires are brand new as well. I always kept half worn tires on the rear of my Mustang for similar reasons if you catch my "drift" It's really easy to get the wheels spinning in first to spin around and what not. Yes Bill, it is very manageable so far. It certainly is low.

After this weekend the forks are completely lunched. I ordered progressive springs, seals, and front brake pads today. The front brake is soaked with fork oil and possibly brake fluid as well.

Thanks for the tips Jones, and I'll be looking into a lot of those. I may hit you up for advise from time to time if you don't mind!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 05-04-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Very sweet ride!

fastatc70 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Wow. Very cool ride. Great posting!
    Trikes:
    1985 ATC 70 mod to 184cc
    1984 ATC70 mod to 124cc
    1983 ATC 70 Xmas restoration

Quads:
    1986 TRX 250R
    2002 TRX 400EX
    2- LT80 for the kids
    1986 LT 50

--
    Practic any 5th gear wheelies?

--
    I ordered a big oil cooler last night. Might be on this week. The speedo is a work in progress at this point.

No 5th gear wheelies yet buddy! Controllable wheelies with extended swing arms are an exercise in brute acceleration usually, which requires gobs of horsepower. This bike has balls, but not brutal power. So far I just bring it up in first and hang it as long as I can. I've not yet been able to shift up to second. When you have to balance the bike instead of being able to rely on brutal acceleration it makes the balance point tougher to maintain due to the extended swing arm. I've tried to push down and "pop" the front end up at speed, but both the forks and the clutch are rubbish. Not for long though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Don't bother with "Dave's Mods" on the carb. Spend the money on an FCR from a crf. Hands down worth every penny.

Then dump the smog pump, install block off plates, remove snorkel, uni foam filter BUT KEEP the black "charcoal canister"! It's not a charcoal canister is an oil separator for the engine breather line.

This is the link to the sutton oil cooler mentioned earlier. http://suttoncycleworks.com/oilCooler.html I'll be purchasing one of them eventually.
    Last edited by Louis Mielke; 05-05-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Awesome story about the bikers. How neat.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mielke View Post
    Don't bother with "Dave's Mods" on the carb. Spend the money on an FCR from a crf. Hands down worth every penny.

Then dump the smog pump, install block off plates, remove snorkel, uni foam filter BUT KEEP the black "charcoal canister"! It's not a charcoal canister is an oil separator for the engine breather line.

This is the link to the sutton oil cooler mentioned earlier. http://suttoncycleworks.com/oilCooler.html I'll be purchasing one of them eventually.
    Louis, not 3 hours ago I was out there looking at the smog stuff as it is the next to go. All of the answers you just gave me were questions rattling around in my head such a short time ago.

I was looking at the Sutton cooler last night. I opted for a much cheaper and more effective route as I have the luxury of the wide front end from a Tecate which at one time held a radiator. This leaves me an area roughly 2/3rds the size of Wrigley Field in which to place my oil cooler. The cooler I ordered is definitely bigger than the Sutton unit. The hard line to the reservoir is obviously very accessible so that should be chicken. Plenty of mounting space and plenty of air going across it.

Smog block off is in the mail.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 05-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //