//ArrowChat Code
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: My XR650L conversion

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I don't mind making a mess on a project, but I have to clean up before I start the next thing.
    Yes..YES...HELL YES! I don't mind dust and grit flying everywhere when I'm making something or grease/oil up to my elbows when necessary but before I move on...things must be nigh spotless.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

stoshu is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Shep has insisted I use the following clear. It's a very high quality two part spray bomb.

Very good stuff. Definitely need a respirator to spray it. It will kill you.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by stoshu View Post
    I have like a home depot respirator with vapor filters. Is that the right device?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Has to be better than a clean snot rag tied around your face.....which is my usual go to.

*hack...cough**

Excuse me.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Oh I know what I can use. I have a military protective mask (gas mask).
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Says you need a a2/p2 type respirator. Haven’t googled it yet though. I should buy one too, I guess spraying upwind with a swearshirt wrapped around my face I’ve just been lucky.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4EF20EAD-8DDB-479B-A580-877B7B8BFF87.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	257107

Shep

--
    OEM parts!! My favorite!

I've been getting out there periodically to work on the bike but the winter does put a damper on things. It's coming along though!

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Oh I know what I can use. I have a military protective mask (gas mask).
    I guess the one the Ssgt didn't get from you when the scud alarm went off?
    Love those stories on your deployment thread.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by stoshu View Post
    Be mindful of the fact that Spraymax 2K can also be absorbed through pores in the skin and eyes, so full protection is a good idea.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Fabio, i have done a fair amount of painting, and i actually used a 2 part spray can clear just a few months ago and they have a tendency to splatter and there is no real way to stop them from doing that and you will easiltut be able to notice it but if you are going to xolor sand it afterwards is not a big deal xxvu at thwe very least i woulsc warm the paint can up to around 75 or 80 and also spray the tank in a room that is at least 60 degrees and preferably a little warmer. If a can is cold, i put it in a pan of hot water for a few minutes and shake it every 30 seconds or so. It will flow better and lay out smoother if it is warm, just in case you didn't know.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Oops, no edit button to correct my mistyping on my tiny key pad.

--
    I would also hang the tank so it is upright. This way the can can't drip on top of it which it probably will. You can also reduce the splattering some if you wipe the accumulated paint off the spray nozzle after each pass.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    I guess the one the Ssgt didn't get from you when the scud alarm went off?
    Love those stories on your deployment thread.
    Thank you! No, it's not my mask from the army unfortunately. It's a navy mask that my buddy kept after his service.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

My XR650L conversion

Two things I recently realized. One is that this machine needs a new countershaft. I'd somehow completely forgotten about that until the day before yesterday. I slept on it, and I've decided I'll run this shaft for this year and change it out next year. I'm already getting things together, I just don't have time to split cases right now.

The other thing I realized is that if I have to wait for the weather to cooperate in order to do my final paint and clear coat, the bike is going to be done long before I could paint anything. I'm not leaving this halfway done for months waiting on weather. I started thinking about where I could bring my stuff to squirt it, and anyone I thought about would have just told me they'd squirt it the right way with paint guns. I've already dumped a lot of money into $50 cans of Honda spray paint and a $25 can of two part clear coat in a spray can, and I really prefer doing things myself. Last night I got an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Looking good John, but overspray is a bit*h. Think of painting as sex, you want to cover-up, cuz some stuff doesn't wash off with soap and water
    I decided to make a spray booth, it was my best option I feel. I made this by myself in under an hour with zero items purchased, so it's pretty good for free. I was going to put the little space heater right inside the tent, but then I thought I might blow up, so I put it outside the tent blowing in through a pipe. I'll probably insulate that pipe a little better.

So it's not ideal but it was cheap and I'll be able to paint no matter what the weather is now!

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    How many cans of passion red (?) did you have in the frame shoot?

I ended up using three cans @ $19.95 a can shipped. Frames are kind of deceiving. I wasted alot in overspray just getting into all the corners and blind spots.

I'm much more comfortable and skilled with an HVLP sprayer, but I couldn't easily find that color in a quart size without custom mixing so I got the ColorRite cans

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //