//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tecate Engine Locked up!

--

Tecate Engine Locked up!

We finally had some warm weather yesterday, so I dragged all the trikes out and got them washed and we rode them all. Saved the green one for last. Kicked it once and the kick starter stopped 3/4 of the way down. It won't turn at all. I've heard of engines seizing, but not when it's not running. Is there anything common that might freeze up on this engine that anyone knows about? It's an '85.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Flywheel magnets jammed in the stator coils?

--
    Try pouring a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder, let it soak for a while. Then try it again, it's supposed to be good for getting rings and cylinders unstuck. Google it, lots of uses for it!

--
    Rats nest in the cylinder?

Did you put it in gear and turn the rear tires to see if the trans would spin the crank? If it does then it is something jammed on the clutch or flywheel side.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Flywheel magnet.. been there, done that!!
    Thats the 1st place I'd look. Good luck!
    TECATE RIDER, HASPIN SURVIVOR!!
    Trikefest 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and beyond
    RAFFAs Ice-fest 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15
    Pensyltucky 09, 12, 13, 14, 15
    New England Ride 4/13

--
    No, it doesn't move at all when you push it in gear. I don't think the cylinder is seized. I'm no expert, but I always think of that as being something caused by either sitting for years without moving, or running too hot, or with no oil. It ran well a month or two ago, and when I kicked it Sunday, it did move a bit before locking up. Anyway, I like the flywheel magnet theory. Well, I don't LIKE it at all, but it's something to go on! I might have to wait until the weekend before I can get it apart to look at it.
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Yeah I got to crunch a magnet one day...gotta love the TEcate...Mik is probably right.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Iwould also look into the flywheel area, i had the key shear off and got wedged in there. i was convinced the crank was locked up but come to find out i just needed a new key!

--
    100% SURE flywheel magnets, as mentioned above.
    THE 80's RAGE! Currently owns:
    81, 85 Yamaha Tri Moto 125
    83 Yamaha Tri Moto 200 x2
    82,83 Yamaha Tri Moto 175 project
    85 Yamaha Tri Z 250
    84 Kawasaki Tecate 250
    84 Honda ATC 70
    85 Honda ATC 350X
    84 Honda ATC 250R
    (2) 84 Honda ATC 200x
    82, 83 Honda ATC 185s
    81 ATC 200
    Lots of other parts and bikes

--
    Finally got it apart today. What a mess!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040516.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	190753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040517.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	190754

Interestingly, the flywheel already has internal magnets, so it wasn't those that fell apart. It looks like the bolts for one of the coils came loose. Do you guys think I can re-use the flywheel?

I found this stator assembly on Ebay, is this a good choice? I know Ricky stators have a good reputation....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KXT...15012d&vxp=mtr

--
    I am 100% confident your Ricky Stator flywheel is fine. What a MESS ! Yes, your choice of replacement electricals is a good choice too.

john

--
    So it sort of was a rat's nest

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeswinehart View Post
    I am 100% confident your Ricky Stator flywheel is fine. What a MESS ! Yes, your choice of replacement electricals is a good choice too.

john
    I thought that had to be a Ricky Stator flywheel. It has the same symbol on the front as the one I saw for sale on Ebay. Very cool. I just ordered the stator assembly too.

By the way, what are the slotted mounting holes for?

--
    Slotted mounting holes ~ hmmm on the stator (?) ,,,, those be for timing adjustment

--
    Yeah I would say the flywheel would be fine too.

Sure does look like there is a lot of oil and black stuff??? carbon?? going on in side that flywheel cover. What's up with that?

And the slots are to line up to the 3 marks on the stator plate to the triangle that is cast into the case half.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //