//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tecate Engine Locked up!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeswinehart View Post
    Slotted mounting holes ~ hmmm on the stator (?) ,,,, those be for timing adjustment
    Yeah, I figured it must be something like that, but it's under the flywheel...how would you adjust it? I admit I'm rather clueless on this machine. Now that I think of it, the only machines I'd adjusted timing on are the old points-type like my CT70.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4speed View Post
    Yeah I would say the flywheel would be fine too.

Sure does look like there is a lot of oil and black stuff??? carbon?? going on in side that flywheel cover. What's up with that?

And the slots are to line up to the 3 marks on the stator plate to the triangle that is cast into the case half.
    Oh, I hadn't seen your response. So there's a timing mark or marks? Thanks for the info on that.

Yeah, there was a lot of carbon. Maybe the wiring was shorting out and arcing in there...? It wasn't oily though.
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Carbon and oil could be from leaking crank seal allowing exhaust and oil to blow in there instead of out the pipe. Or maybe there was a fire in there??? lol, idk. Usually I just find it dry dusty or rusty under a flywheel cover.

Um yeah there are 3 timing marks, and rotating the stator plate counter clockwise retards the timing.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Ok, I got the Ricky Stator, but I'm still wondering about this flywheel. What's with the glue on the inside? Is that supposed to be there, or did something melt?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040524.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	191453

--
    WEll the last T3 i got had a flywheel in it that looked just like that except that glue or what ever is inside yours. Mine was all clean on the inside just metal to metal surfaces.

I suppose it could be an overflow / excess epoxy they used to glue magnets in place.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    It's the "except that glue" part I'm concerned about. The main "bead" seems to be out of the way, but there's a large blob at the top of the picture that looks sure to interfere with the stator coils. I don't want to spend another $125 without cause, but I don't want crap coming loose and ruining my new stator either.

--
    Call ricky stator.. tell them what you see..
    explain to them politely that you will post picts of their product and what happened.. see if they will make it rite..
    TECATE RIDER, HASPIN SURVIVOR!!
    Trikefest 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and beyond
    RAFFAs Ice-fest 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15
    Pensyltucky 09, 12, 13, 14, 15
    New England Ride 4/13

--
    Good idea, MIK6, I did exactly that. Talked to the guy and he was really nice. He asked me to email him a picture, so I did that on Wednesday. I haven't heard back yet.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankencelery View Post
    Good idea, MIK6, I did exactly that. Talked to the guy and he was really nice. He asked me to email him a picture, so I did that on Wednesday. I haven't heard back yet.
    Man.. I had a magnet let go on a RS flywheel a few years back, 1 call and I got a new one at a discounted price. The flywheel was a few years old but only had a few hours on it, they made it rite for me.. call them back.. lol
    TECATE RIDER, HASPIN SURVIVOR!!
    Trikefest 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and beyond
    RAFFAs Ice-fest 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15
    Pensyltucky 09, 12, 13, 14, 15
    New England Ride 4/13

--
    I would certainly appreciate it if he'd get back to me, but I don't really expect them to warranty it. It looks to me like the stator plate came loose and that's what caused all the damage in the first place. As far as the "glue" inside the flywheel, I had another friend who's been a mechanic for years (not on motorcycles or ATVs) look at it, and he thinks it's foreign material as well. Maybe melted plastic from when the coil came loose and got really hot scraping around inside.

--
    Ok, Ricky Stator got back to me. Here was the response:

"Looks like it got so hot it started melting the glue inside. My guess is it will still work ok"

I think I'll clean out the glue, put it back together, and ride it. What could go wrong?

--
    That's what I would do.

--
    As of tonight, she's back up and running! Bonus...it idles now with the stator plate actually bolted in tightly!

Couldn't really go anywhere in the dark, so now it's time to get some lights and put that 80w stator to use!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //