//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: looking for suggestive help with my 110 please.

--

looking for suggestive help with my 110 please.

1984 110. Completely stock except for tires. motor has never been taken apart Has a new spark plug. New air filter and fresh oil change. When I start the trike it starts first pull and idles like a brand new machine. The pilot screw is set at 1 1/4 and tge idle screw is set at about 1 7/8 or 2 turns. The problem is that when it is in gear just putting around slightly off idle but below mid throttle it pops/sputtered/backfires. When you high mid range on the throttle or go full speed reguardless of what gear it operates normal. What should I be looking at here. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have

--
    Sounds to me to be a plugged Pilot jet or the pilot jet circuit.

--
    Thanks for the tip. I will try taking the carb apart and cleaning the jet with a strand of copper wire. Carb cleaner and compressed air. I took it for a ride yesterday and with the ground thawing out everything in the woods was really soft so I kept it at low rpms so I didnt tear up too much earth but at the speed I was trying to move the bike just went pa pa pa pa pa pa pa like I described in the original post but when I ed the throttle down or just pushed it farther then the pa pa pa pa backfiring/missing/popping stage it didnt do it any more until I went back to the low rpm crawling stage again.
    Last edited by DickyDanger; 04-03-2014 at 11:35 AM.

--
    Try running it on full or half choke .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Try running it on full or half choke .
    Why do you suggest that?

--
    if it runs better with the choke on after it warms up, it indicates you do have a lack of fuel. on these carbs the choke limits the air. less air requires less fuel. if it runs better that way then you know for sure it is running too lean (ie. plugged up somewhere) with choke off.

if there is no difference then you more than likely have a rich condition. bad float valve or float. the float on these bikes is made of plastic and they do get wore out and cause it to run rich
    Trikes: All Honda: 84 250r, 85 86 and 87 250sx, 84 and 85 125m, 79 82 84 and 85 110's, 73 us 90 and 77 atc90, 75 atc70
    Cycles: Honda: 71 cb100, 78 cb750 coming soon cb750 trike. Yamaha: 67 yds 3 (250cc, 2cyl, 2 stroke), 82 750 SECA
    Other toys: Chenoweth VW sandrail dune buggy, old race go kart, racing mower, 76 Arctic Cat Pantera 440 snowmobile

KEEP IT ON ALL 3 OR AT LEAST 2 AT A TIME

--
    Just try it and get back to me lol
    These 110's can be very temperamental could be an air box issue as well .

Quote Originally Posted by DickyDanger View Post
    Why do you suggest that?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Lack of fuel.Mine does it after 20-30 minutes of constant wheelies!!!! Really.........check your fuel flow starting at the tank, then petcock.....maybe the carb if the gunk got that far. Do you run inline fuel filters??? If that does not cure it look to the pilot jet and it's circuit.......
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    fuel flows free from the tank and i did clean it with vinegar over the winter to get rid of the slight surface rust. i did not take apart or inspect the pet cock when i last had the carb off so maybe i can look there. does the 110 have a metal screen in the pet cock like some other models? i was looking up prices on the float and float valve and after shipping im looking at 50$ yikes. i do not run inline filters but i guess that i should invest in some. both fuel lines are new as well. im hoping i can get over to my parents this weekend and tinker with it. it really does run well mid to top end just not down low where i want it for crawling around i do appreciate all the help every one is giving me i hope i can get it running the way i want it to

--
    Well I took the carb back apart. I checked the fuel filter in the carb and that looked nice and cleaned but I blasted it with carb cleaner anyways. All jets seem to be clear carb cleaner sprayed through them nicely. I also tried running it with half choke on with no change in performance. Still wants to back fire and not have clean throttle at low rpms

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyDanger View Post
    1984 110. Completely stock except for tires. motor has never been taken apart Has a new spark plug. New air filter and fresh oil change. When I start the trike it starts first pull and idles like a brand new machine. The pilot screw is set at 1 1/4 and tge idle screw is set at about 1 7/8 or 2 turns. The problem is that when it is in gear just putting around slightly off idle but below mid throttle it pops/sputtered/backfires. When you high mid range on the throttle or go full speed reguardless of what gear it operates normal.

I took the carb back apart. I checked the fuel filter in the carb and that looked nice and cleaned but I blasted it with carb cleaner anyways. All jets seem to be clear carb cleaner sprayed through them nicely. I also tried running it with half choke on with no change in performance. Still wants to back fire and not have clean throttle at low rpms

fuel flows free from the tank and i did clean it with vinegar over the winter to get rid of the slight surface rust. i did not take apart or inspect the pet cock when i last had the carb off so maybe i can look there. does the 110 have a metal screen in the pet cock like some other models? i was looking up prices on the float and float valve and after shipping im looking at 50$ yikes. i do not run inline filters but i guess that i should invest in some. both fuel lines are new as well. im hoping i can get over to my parents this weekend and tinker with it. it really does run well mid to top end just not down low where i want it for crawling around i do appreciate all the help every one is giving me i hope i can get it running the way i want it to
    Hello DickyDanger;

Since your bike idles consistently and your mix screw setting is correct, it strongly suggests that your pilot jet is the correct size or very close to it and it is not plugged. It’s really that simple.

It is not a fuel flow prob. If it was it would not run well above idle like you say it does.

It’s a little strange that the choke has no affect.

How much time is on the new plug?

Are your tires larger than stock?

Is your gearing stock?

Do you know the jet sizes?

What is your elevation?

How much choke is required to start it?

What is the air temp when you start it?

SPARK PLUG

Take the plug out and report what it looks like.

Almost white = very lean
    Lite tan = slightly lean
    Medium tan = ideal
    Dark tan = slightly rich
    black and dry = very rich
    black and moist/gooey = burning oil and possible slightly rich

Check the plug gap, if it is outside of .024” - .032”, I would correct it.

PLUG SPARK

Lay the plug on the cylinder and kick it over and see what the spark looks like, yellow or pale blue?
    The fact that it starts easily and runs well suggests that your prob is not due to a weak spark but that’s no guarantee.

Try another new plug [yours might be faulty but I doubt it] or try cleaning that one with a wire brush but it could still be faulty, new is safer.
    If your spark plug cap is removable and your plug wire is long enough, I would remove it and cut ¼” off of the wire to insure a good connection.

CARB

Try raising the needle all the way then lowering it all the way to see if one is better than the other.

If it” burbles/sputters” upon acceleration, it is rich.

If it simply fails to accelerate for a second like it is out of gas, it is lean.

If it pops it’s hard to determine.

VALVES

Check the valve adjustment.

If it was a burnt or leaking/tight valve, the prob would be consistent.

COMPRESSION TEST

I would do one just so you know what you have. I do not think your prob is compression related.

FYI – I did all the development work on this bike when I was at Kawi and I can assure you that In stock form near sea level, this bike will lift the front tire off the ground if you speed shift it at full throttle on level ground. If it does not do that it is not running properly.

Since you want it for crawling around, if your tires are stock size, I would suggest trying a smaller front sprocket once it runs right.

Here's my avatar. I named her Bacon. Isn’t she cute?

Hi, my name is Bacon Aren't I cute.

--
    Did you run a steel wire horizontally thru the pilot? You must use a steel wire that is ridged from a wire brush or such. Make sure you can see light thru it when you hold it up and look thru it. I would double check......
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Please do not clean your jets with a steel wire, as they are made of brass, and can easily be damaged.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Please do not clean your jets with a steel wire, as they are made of brass, and can easily be damaged.
    +1 on that, read the instructions on carb cleaner. It even says do not use a wire, you can damage the jet easily.

Check for air leaks, that could also cause backfiring, inconsistent idling, etc.
    Thats what was wrong with mine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    +1 on that, read the instructions on carb cleaner. It even says do not use a wire, you can damage the jet easily.

Check for air leaks, that could also cause backfiring, inconsistent idling, etc.
    Thats what was wrong with mine.
    So it WAS an air leak...
    Glad you got yours fixed ghost!

Ya, no steel wires in jets, it was the one of the first things Motorcycle Mechanics Institute confirmed for me.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //