//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Putting the 83 Big Red back together... Finally!

--

Putting the 83 Big Red back together... Finally!

This is going to be a continuation of the following thread:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...building-begin!

This is something that I've been trying to get to, all winter, but I've had way too many things going on.

I have applied POR-15 to my chassis components. I finally got some chassis coat. I'm going to apply that, today.

Here's my list of objectives, for the month of April: (not necessarily in order)
    - Install new wheel bearing and steering stem bearings (ordered and impatiently awaiting their arrival)
    - Install new brake pads (front & rear)
    - Clean up my rims, apply POR-15 and chassis coat.
    - New tires

For the time being, I'm just going to use the engine from the Big Red. While I'm running that, I'm going to rebuild the engine from my parts trike (84 ATC200M).

By the end of this month, I should be able to cheat death, once again, with my 3 wheeled death trap. LOL!

I'll post pics, as I proceed.
    They keep telling me that those trikes are unstable. It doesn't bother me because I'm a little unstable, too.

...but officer, You have it all wrong. I wasn't speeding. I was fasting. After all, the Bible and my doctor tell me that it's good to fast, once in a while.

--
    These are the frame components with the POR-15 applied.

I applied the chassis coat. I'll post pics... hopefully, tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0017.JPG   HNI_0018.JPG   HNI_0019.JPG  
    They keep telling me that those trikes are unstable. It doesn't bother me because I'm a little unstable, too.

...but officer, You have it all wrong. I wasn't speeding. I was fasting. After all, the Bible and my doctor tell me that it's good to fast, once in a while.

--
    I got the second coat of "Chassis Coat" on the frame, fork, and rear end casing. I forgot my camera, at home, so I can't post pics, today. It really doesn't look much different than the pics in my previous post.

I also took my rims, rim rings, foot pegs, trailer hitch, and rear rack to the body shop. They're going to sandblast those things for me. Each of those things is going to get the POR-15 treatment, as well.

--
    These are a few pictures of my current progress.

The second coat of Chassis Coat has been applied. The lighting wasn't working with me, for the frame pictures, so I'll have to take a few more.
    The cleaned up the front hub and installed the wheel bearings.
    I cleaned up the rear axle and rear hubs.

In the meantime, I ordered new brake pads (front & rear), a twist grip throttle kit, a drive chain tensioner bolt, and a new front tire. I'm going to try to seal my rear tires with some slime. They have decent treads, yet. It'll also allow me to lighten the cost of this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0020.JPG   HNI_0021.JPG   HNI_0023.JPG   HNI_0024.JPG   HNI_0025.JPG   HNI_0026.JPG  

HNI_0027.JPG   HNI_0028.JPG  

--
    Here's a few more picture from Big Red's resurrection ritual.

I have installed the front wheel bearings and seals.

I got the rear wheel bearings started. I need to get a driver to finish installing them.

I put the shocks back into the fork.

I have a few things on order:
    - twist throttle kit
    - drive chain tensioner bolt
    - more POR-15
    - front and rear brake pads
    - new front tire

I was going to order 3 new tires, but I deciced to settle for 1, for now. I'm going to try some slime in my rear tires because the treads are decent.

I'm basically on standby, until those items arrive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0033.JPG   HNI_0032.JPG   HNI_0031.JPG   HNI_0030.JPG   HNI_0029.JPG  

--
    This is awesome to watch.. Good luck with that devilish twist throttle!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    @ atc007: Thanks. I still have the thumb throttle components, just in case. I'll have to share my thoughts on the twist throttle, after I roam the dusty trails.

--
    3-Wheeled Death Machine Update: Thursday April 17, 2014 1900hrs CDT

My parts have been sandblasted, and I've brought them back to the compound.

In the pictures, I have, 1 new tire, 2 foot pegs, 4 rims, 8 rim rings, rear rack, and trailer hitch.

Tomorrow, I'm going to celebrate by breaking open a six-pack... of POR-15, of course.

After about about a week, I'll apply Chassis Coat to everything.

After the chassis coat cures, I'll mount my new front tire.

After all that, I can finally start putting my WMD (Wheeled Machine of Death) back together.
    One of these days, I need to get a huge plot of land, so I get a stockpile of “WMDs” going.

I almost forgot to mention that every box comes with free targets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0005.JPG   HNI_0004.JPG   HNI_0003.JPG   HNI_0002.JPG   HNI_0001.JPG  

--
    3-Wheeled Death Machine Update: Saturday April 19, 2014 1900hrs CDT

I applied POR-15 to my 4 rims, 8 rim rings, foot pegs, trailer hitch, and rear rack.
    This wasn't a pint-sized job, either. I had to use 2 pints of POR-15. I'm going to let that cure, for about a week. After that, I'll be applying Chassis Coat to it.

While I was playing in the POR-15, my trike marked me... for death. What else would a deadly machine, such as that, mark me for?

Upon further inspection, I noticed that my fork was wobbly. It turns out that I forgot to put the top race cone in. I'm glad it's only the top because that will be easy to fix. After looking through my parts, I can't find it, so I'll probably have to order one.

I still haven't gotten around to driving my rear wheel bearing the rest of the way, but I'm hoping to get that done sometime this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0009.JPG   HNI_0008.JPG  

zoomerman is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    looking good. Looks like a back in black theme
    1985 suzuki alt 185
    1985 honda atc 250sx
    1985 honda atc 200m (all apart)
    1984 honda atc 200es
    1984 honda atc 200x- need motor, plastics, axle, exhaust.
    1984 honda atc 125m- times 2
    1985 honda atc 200m all apart
    1983 honda atc 200e times 2
    1983 honda atc 250r-times 2
    1983 honda atc 200 4 parts

1983 honda atc 110 times 3
    1979 honda atc 110 smokey
    1978 honda atc 90- restored

Have lots of extra parts, if interested email at e_mcy@hotmail.com

--
    I suppose I should start referring to this trike as the Shadow of Death.

--
    Then I'll never have to merely walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I'll tame tame the shadow of death, itself. I'll ride it too!

--
    Update: Monday April 21, 2014

I finished driving the rear wheel bearings in. I installed new brake pads and put the rear end back together. I bolted the rear end to the frame. The rear tires are almost ready to go. I just need to figure which one doesn't hold air, so I can seal it with a bottle of slime.

The front hub has been installed. There's new brake pads on that, too. The tire in the pictures is not the one I'm going to be running. I just put that one so the trike doesn't have to sit on blocks.

I couldn't find that top race for my steering stem. I was about to buy a roller bearing upgrade kit when I remembered that I still had the bent fork from my Big Red. It turns out that the bottom cone race was still there and intact. I was able to get it off, and I used that as my top cone race. I'm just glad I didn't make my run to the scrap yard, yet.

The air box is mounted. I put the engine back in. The drive chain has also been reinstalled and adjusted.

In regards to the pictures of my gas tank, I bought that about a year ago from Covers4Gear. It was the cheapest plastic tank I could find. For the $105 I paid for it, I'm pretty impressed. It feels very sturdy.

In order to install it, I had to cut the dust cover off my air intake, but that hasn't caused me any problems.

The only big issue I had was that putting the gas cap back on was a hassle. I shredded one cap, in the process. The company sent me a new cap, free of charge. It turns out the cap wasn't the problem.

The picture doesn't show it well, but used a knife to shave the corners of the fill hole; making a forcing cone to guid the gas cap into place. It worked really well. I haven't had any more shredded caps, and I haven't had to deal with any more splashing gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0026.JPG   HNI_0027.JPG   HNI_0025.JPG   HNI_0010.JPG   HNI_0013.JPG   HNI_0011.JPG  

HNI_0012.JPG   HNI_0014.JPG   HNI_0019.JPG   HNI_0018.JPG   HNI_0017.JPG   HNI_0015.JPG  

HNI_0016.JPG   HNI_0024.JPG   HNI_0023.JPG   HNI_0022.JPG   HNI_0021.JPG   HNI_0020.JPG  

--
    3-Wheeled Death Machine (aka Doomsday Trike) (aka Shadow of Death) UPDATE: Wednesday April 23, 2014

My footpegs, rims, rim rings, and rear rack have been bathed in their first coat of Chassis Coat. Tomorrow, if it's not raining, they'll be getting a second coat in the morning. I should be able to get that front tire installed the middle of next week. Once that happens, I'll be able to ride so fast, the when I get hit with twigs and pebbles, it will hurt. Protecting the children from these deadly devices isn't easy, but somebody's got to do it.

I have installed the brake linkages. I left the rear hand brake linkages out because I only use the foot brake. After I get my foot pegs back on, I'll have to fine tune the adjustments.

I installed the twist throttle kit, today. I can't wait to try it out. Installation was very easy. That was approximately a 10 minute job. It seems to work well. I'll have to post some more of my thoughts after I get out on the trails.

After I installed that twist throttle, I learned that I couldn't use. I'm not a trained technician, so I can't ride this trike anymore. I'm joking, of course. LOL!

I cleaned the carburetor and reinstalled it. I'll be cleaning my air filter, tomorrow.

I have the wiring harness hooked back up. I still have to tie downs in place.

After playing with the carburetor, for a while, I was able to ressussicate it. That was the most beautiful sound that I've heard all year. I would have took it for a ride, but I'm not finished painting my foot pegs. I almost cried.

For my gas cap vent, I used a 90 degree, rubber elbow. The idea there was to keep the vent tube out of the way. I'll have ride for a while to make sure it does't have any problems.

That red plastic, that my gas tank is made of, isn't going to work with my intended uses for the trike. For that, I have some OD green paint. My foot pegs, rims, rim rings, trailer hitch, and rear rack will be getting a coat of OD green, as well.

By Wednesday April 30, I should be ready to go risk my life, once again. It's a hard life, but somebody's got to do it.

UPDATE: Thursday April 24, 2014

I applied the second coat of Chassis coat to my foot pegs, rim rings, and 1 of my rims. The weather wasn't working with me, so I still have to get the second coat on my rear rack and my 3 other rims.

UPDATE: Friday April 25, 2014

It's might be able to apply the second coat of Chassis Coat to the remainder of my components, by this evening. I'm planning to mount my new front tire, on Sunday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HNI_0028.JPG   HNI_0029.JPG   HNI_0030.JPG   HNI_0031.JPG   HNI_0032.JPG   HNI_0033.JPG  

HNI_0034.JPG   HNI_0035.JPG   HNI_0036.JPG   HNI_0037.JPG   HNI_0038.JPG   HNI_0039.JPG  

HNI_0040.JPG   HNI_0041.JPG   HNI_0042.JPG   HNI_0043.JPG   HNI_0044.JPG  

--
    Update, I'll have to put picture on my next post. That will probably be on Tuesday.

The rear rack has been installed. I took it for a short ride. It seems to be running well. It isn't pulling to one side or the other, so that's good.

This week, I'm going to be building some improvised rear fenders for my baby. There's not much left to the original plastics, but I want to try some customized ideas, anyway. It might not be the prettiest thing I build, but it will be functional. I have some plywood left over, from a different project, so I'll be using that to build my fender prototypes. I'll be sure to get take pictures of that part of the project.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //