//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 200s Fresh Bore, Smoking Quite a Bit??

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mike84bigred View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think its where it would closed. It never worked so I'm not exactly sure and dont know how you would be able to tell.
    If it were me I would leave the decompression lever ALONE do not attempt to hold it in place with wire. Is this how you have been riding it around after the rebuild?

keep us posted

--
    There is basically no way he's been riding it with it tied open or closed. It may be tied up, but its not holding that valve in any certain position if the ngine is running.Think about that for a minute.

You are low on compression for some reason. Continue to search for the reason.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by mike84bigred View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think its where it would closed. It never worked so I'm not exactly sure and dont know how you would be able to tell.
    Hi bigred;

Easy deal, if it is open even a little you would hear air puffing out of it if you listen closely.

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    There is basically no way he's been riding it with it tied open or closed. It may be tied up, but its not holding that valve in any certain position if the ngine is running.Think about that for a minute.
    Hmmm, I thought, and pondered, and consternated [not constipated] over this potential conundrum for many a second and have come up with the following answer. In this rare instance, you are actually incorrect my friend, although it is unlikely that someone would not hear a compressor type sound from a partially open decompression valve and continue to ride it thinking the sound is normal. I have actually ridden several bikes out of necessity with the decompression valve partially open. I have also seen and heard others do the same.

Back in the Jurassic days, this was an occasion prob with desert racers or races in the mud. The valve Mechanism would get full of sand or mud, they might stall their bike then pull the cable to start it and the gunk would prevent the valve from closing.

--
    Lol yes OK youre right. I suppose I was figuring that the noise would tip the person off, and soon after would be shutting it down, but I digress.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Lol yes OK youre right. I suppose I was figuring that the noise would tip the person off, and soon after would be shutting it down, but I digress.
    This is not in reference to the op, however, in general I have found that when dealing with such things, it is best to keep in mind the mentality/mind set and/or level of experience of some of the tricycle riders and therefore NEVER assume.

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have been beating it around the yard the past couple of days and for the most part the smoking seems to be clearing up. Also did another compression test on it and was getting between 150-160 psi, so maybe everything is starting to settle. Going to change the oil sometime soon.
    84'200s (Dad bought new in 84, long gone)
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84' Big Red (Cobra exhaust,good shape) sold in 08
    84' Big Red (Parts Bike, runs good though)sold in 08
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

hogmuffin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I had the same issue after I rebuilt the top end on my 200x. Smoked real bad after the initial startup. After a few hours of riding it cleared up. Hasnt smoked a bit since. I figured it was just the rings seating but I never thought about the exhaust being full of crap. Could have been either one I guess.
    1985 KLT 160
    1985 YTM 200ERN
    1984 YT 60

Reproduced KLT 160, 110 decals for sale
    Reproduced YTM200ERN decals for sale
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2655

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...uffin+feedback

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //