//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 200s Fresh Bore, Smoking Quite a Bit??

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

200s Fresh Bore, Smoking Quite a Bit??

Just rebuilt my 200s. Was bored over, new piston +rings obviously. Also did the valve seals. Just got it back running a little bit ago. Started it up, and other than it running a little rough, probably carb adjustments, all was good, until about 4-5 minutes in when it started smoking pretty good. After I completely filled my garage with smoke, I shut it down for a few minutes. I started it back up, and same thing, started smoking again after a few minutes. Its been a while since I did a bore but I don't ever remember this. I have had it running about a total of 25 minutes and its still smoking. Plug is carbon fouled but not wet. Do the rings need more time to set, or do I have other issues here?
    84'200s (Dad bought new in 84, long gone)
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84' Big Red (Cobra exhaust,good shape) sold in 08
    84' Big Red (Parts Bike, runs good though)sold in 08
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    I think your exhaust is filled with oil from it being whooped before you rebuilt it. That's why it's smoking after coming up to temp. Go ride it,run it. Don't lug it or over rev it. Check your oil. And after an hour or two,all will be clear if you did things right inside.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    I think your exhaust is filled with oil from it being whooped before you rebuilt it. That's why it's smoking after coming up to temp. Go ride it,run it. Don't lug it or over rev it. Check your oil. And after an hour or two,all will be clear if you did things right inside.
    Agreed but I would do a compression test before you do this. If nothing else it's a good reference if you have any issues down the road.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    What brand piston kit did you use ?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Im not sure off hand. Had G&H do the work.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Shindy brand piston
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Bill's theory is very sound and I hope for your sake he is correct.

--
    Me too. Dont know what else it could be. I mean I had the valves out wh enough I did the seals and they looked fine. Piston was matched to the bore. What else could it be?
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    You didnt use synthetic oil, did you?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    No synthetic oil. Regular 10w-30
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    You can run syn in this fresh engine till the cows come home. You'll never have a problem. And I would recommend it strongly if you pulled the clutch cover,cleaned your strainer and crankcase?? Hopefully you did! If not you have work to do lol ! If you want reassurance your top end is sound. Pull the breather hose ,if it's smoking out your crankcase. You have a top end problem. But if you're sure you didn't pinch a ring going together,you should be fine.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

--
    No I did not pull the clutch cover. Had the oil draining for about 4 months so I figured most of it would have dumped out, but the strainer was not cleaned. No smoke from the crankcase breather tube though. If I pull the plug out after its been running, it will smoke a little but figured the new parts will smoke for a bit.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Just to add my $0.02 to all of the good advice already given: I did the topend on my ATC110 with a cheap ebay piston about 4 years ago. Like yours, it smoked initially after the rebuild nearly as much as it did before. But the more we ran it, the better it got. Now it doesn't smoke at all. In point of fact it runs so good now, my boy smoked the clutch pack in it! LOL!

Work work work...always something!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    4 months is a great drain! But I would tear in and clean the strainer out. There are manuals on here if you haven't done one before. Also,I Always flush the engine while ANY cover is off. Gas is what I've always used,,diesel or kerosene if that makes you feel better. Then ether as my last clean up. Starting over fresh again. Get all that grit out of there and that top end will last forever with a fresh oiled air filter and clean oil,of any kind

--
    I ran it yesterday with basically only the things to make the engine run. Have to put the air filter and gas tank back on and get the carb adjusted right. If you turn the fuel/ air screw in, is that more air or fuel? After I get it all back together, ill bomb it around the yard and see if it clears up. Im hoping the rings may have not quite set yet or like Bill said, left over oil in the head.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //