//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cylinder boring

--

cylinder boring

Was just wondering if anybody has bored a cylinder on a Bridgeport before and if so how it turned out. Also what about honing?
    All my X's live in the garage

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

lokisbuddy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    damn haven't heard that name in a bit. I used to have an old bridgport I honed it but never bored it I would suggest contacting kevin from herr jugz racing if anyone can tell you it would be him.
    200x build
    My Feedback
    The world is broken up into two very different groups of people: there are those who like me, and those who can go to hell

--
    Well the answer is definitely yes, but I will leave it to the machinists here to tell you why or why not to do it.

--
    Could one of those machinist's come out of the woodwork would greatly appreciate it

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

--
    Cylinder boring is typically done with a boring bar. Using an end mill requires perfect alignment or you could trash the cylinder sleeve. A line boring machine can be used to bore perfect holes but that's a different animal than an end mill. Honing you can do with a simple finger hone and a drill but if the bore integrity is in question, take the cylinder and the book to a machine shop. Cylinders don't wear concentrically. They usually wear egg shape so measurements have to be taken at different points in the cylinder to determine the largest dimension. That largest dimension is what will determine which over-size piston you will need.

--
    I am a machinist I know the cylinder needs boring and I do understand that it would require a lot of setup but was just curious if any one tried it and with what results???

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

--
    Many many motorcycle cylinders have been bored on a Bridgeport mill with success.

Many many motorcycle cylinders have been bored on a Bridgeport mill resulting in failure.

Got an extra cylinder?

Very interesting topic by the way.

OK back to the machinists.......

--
    I do have an extra just would like some info before I attempt

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

--
    Any info???

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by waynekreitzmann View Post
    Any info???
    What is it you are wanting someone to tell you that hasn’t been said? Short answer: YES. You’re a machinist, you know it can’t be positioned with a carpenters square and held down with duct tape, so what else is it you want to know? Many world record setting motorcycles were punched out on those mills by guys that weren’t career machinists if that puts you at ease.

lokisbuddy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    lol just realized you weren't talking about the Bridgeport motorcycle
    200x build
    My Feedback
    The world is broken up into two very different groups of people: there are those who like me, and those who can go to hell

--
    I just thought if someone had any hints that would be helpful, you didn't have to be rude.

85-350x
    85-250sx
    82-200 bigred
    81-185s
    84-110
    70's-70

--
    I know guys that have good results boring them on a lathe. If you do it on a mill you would want the the biggest boring bar you can get.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

sanchez is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    U need an indexable boring head. One with an adjuster with graduations in the .001 or less range. Adjusting a fly type cutter to cut .001" larger is crazy. Lathes work well because the tool moves 2 axis, and instead of indexing the head larger u move the tool out. On a mill u lock two axis table to hold center last axis is the length of bore how do u adjust to bore size without the tool for it
    Boring heads aren't cheep

Now the game of per stressing the cylinder (heard of this with cr500 jugs) so with the head on and bolted to the motor the cylinder is still round that's your party
    Appearing since '07

Looking for a place to happen...
    Making stops, along the way

--
    Quote Originally Posted by waynekreitzmann View Post
    I just thought if someone had any hints that would be helpful, you didn't have to be rude.
    With all due respect you should likely ask a machinist with some experience in this area to come over and help you with this. The fact that you haven’t articulated a specific question relating to the set up or process would indicate that you may not be qualified to take this project on yourself. Not trying to be rude, just don’t want you ruining your cylinder. For what it’s worth I ran a machine shop for a few years and while the title “machinist” appeared on the top of everyone’s employee evaluation sheet, there were massive differences in their individual skill sets.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //