//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning small parts....

--

Cleaning small parts....

What has everybody considered.... I'm a mechanic by trade, so when it comes to the tedious... I get burned out real fast. So I tried throwing a bunch of small parts in a tumbler that I use for cleaning my brass. That will be a different thread. I wasn't sure what to use for a cleaning agent, so I rolled with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, like I use on brass. These parts came out spankin' clean and ready to paint...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140413_201027_229.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	191196

Additionally, I have stripped the silver paint from my front wheel, and did a light polish on my lower fork tubes... just waiting on the mailman for more stuff.

Name:	IMG_20140413_241729_088.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	191215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140413_241720_404.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	191213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140413_154852_620.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	191214
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250R.jpg  

--
    pics work fine for me.
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--
    small parts painted.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140414_092858_321.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	191235

any suggs....

--
    I use clear paint on nuts & bolts. I would zinc coat but I'm not set up for it. Sending out all the nuts and bolts would be great but I blast and paint 'em in small batches so I can keep track of where the go. Sending out the whole batch would require a little more documentation up front on my part.

I should PC some of the smaller brackets and stuff but I'm not set up for that either.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I use clear paint on nuts & bolts. I would zinc coat but I'm not set up for it. Sending out all the nuts and bolts would be great but I blast and paint 'em in small batches so I can keep track of where the go. Sending out the whole batch would require a little more documentation up front on my part.

I should PC some of the smaller brackets and stuff but I'm not set up for that either.
    Nothing was sent out.... in my garage....!

--
    The results look good, but I would NEVER put threaded parts in a tumbler. Be careful threading those back into aluminum, they may be deformed enough to do damage.

I usually put bolts I plan to reuse into a tin can and cover them with paint thinner. When I pull them out I use a toothbrush covered in dishwashing soap to get the remaining crud off them and then rinse them in hot water before rolling them around on a towel to dry. If the gunk is really heavy a soak in WD-40 before the thinner seems to help.

If paint is needed I push them all through a sheet of cardboard and then paint all the heads at once.

--
    I guess I ASSumed he was gonna run em through a tap and die set before recoating
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

lokisbuddy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    The results look good, but I would NEVER put threaded parts in a tumbler. Be careful threading those back into aluminum, they may be deformed enough to do damage.

I usually put bolts I plan to reuse into a tin can and cover them with paint thinner. When I pull them out I use a toothbrush covered in dishwashing soap to get the remaining crud off them and then rinse them in hot water before rolling them around on a towel to dry. If the gunk is really heavy a soak in WD-40 before the thinner seems to help.

If paint is needed I push them all through a sheet of cardboard and then paint all the heads at once.
    I have never painted bolt heads before... How do they turn out?
    200x build
    My Feedback
    The world is broken up into two very different groups of people: there are those who like me, and those who can go to hell

--
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisbuddy View Post
    I have never painted bolt heads before... How do they turn out?

Great! ... untill you use them Seriously, if you don't put on too heavy a coat and use a good quality wrench to put them back on they arent too bad. Not show quality, but better than rust and grease. You can always touch them up with a match stick if perfection is required.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 04-14-2014 at 10:55 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    I guess I ASSumed he was gonna run em through a tap and die set before recoating
    I should have said "male" threaded parts. I've even sand blasted female threads and just chased them out, but I prefer to put old bolts in them for the sand blast and powder coat if possible.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post

yooz guys are on meth.... tumbling parts will NOT damage threads....but I'll let you know how it turns out... I've been wrong before! AND YES tooling is gonna dick my paint job a little, I could have installed them NAKED..... or ....? powdercoat.... really?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    yooz guys are on meth.... tumbling parts will NOT damage threads....but I'll let you know how it turns out... I've been wrong before! AND YES tooling is gonna dick my paint job a little, I could have installed them NAKED..... or ....? powdercoat.... really?
    Whoa there buddy, don’t let this meth head stop you from tumbling handfuls threaded parts together. You do whatever you want. As far a painting goes I only use the spray bombs because I like the high I get off the fumes. Powder coating bolts would be way better (less the buzz) and all you would have to do is go up one wrench size to put them on. Not sure about doing it naked though. I guess if you reason to count past 20 it might help.

--
    I can't count past 20..... I'll let you ladies know how it turns out....

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --

Name:	frabz-I-dont-love-meth-it-loves-me-265ebd.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	191315

I prefer having hardware zinc plated. This process still needs prep work and a good plater.

New2Tri-Z is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    ^^ The only way to go. Spray bombing the bolts will not hold up past the first round of picture taking.
    Currently Owned
    1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 350???
    1985 Honda ATC 70
    1985 Honda ATC 250R
    2006 Suzuki LTR450
    2005 Suzuki LTZ400
    2005 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 Polaris Predator 90
    2-Honda Trail 90's (need to be brought back)

Feedback Thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-New2Tri-Z

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //