//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 450R swinger install info for 85/86 250r

--

450R swinger install info for 85/86 250r

Ok so heres my attempt at the 450r swinger conversion for the trike guys that want to try it out. Theres other threads out there but I was unable to find a solid answer about using the 250r components in a 450r swinger. Lots of people do the swaps, but normally use all 450r components which is fine and dandy, i just treid to keep it simple and done on the cheap. Most of what I type here probably wont make sense until you try this yourself, but its simple and straightforward. Anyone that can turn a wrench can fumble their way through this, i managed to

Go with the 06 and newer 450 swinger, its an inch longer than the 04/05 swingers and pretty much the same length as our 85/86 swingers. I went with an 06 on my 500R and an 07 on my 310. The 310 got the 07 bolted up last night. I ended up using the stock 250r carrier, 250r axle (I have a durablue extended axle but the same essential parts), brakes and brake stay, and jam nut. I used the 450r swinger, 450r linkage (front link and dog bone).

I had to use the 450r swinger bearings but ended up sliding my old 250r swinger bushings/sleeves/whatever you call them into the needle bearings in the 450r swinger. The 250r sleeves are probably ¾ inch shorter than the 450r sleeves and this way everything bolted right into place on the frame with the rear motor mount and the clearance was perfect.

Pictured is the linkage mount, I had to notch it out with my sawzall for the front linkage to have enough downward travel to clear the frame. Nothing major. I don’t have ‘after pics’ to ad right now, but it’s a minor amount of material to remove, probably about ¼-1/2 inch of material from the very back edge. It will make sense when you get in there to do it. Disregard the sand from Little Sahara, i havent had a chance to wash the bike since we got back from that ride
    Here is a link to the aussie guys that have done this swap using mostly 450r parts, but you will find a pic of the notch you need to cut out of the frame in this thread. and lots of colorful pics ;D

http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5459

I had extra junk laying around that I used to fab up a few pieces. By ‘fab’ I mean I cut and grinded them down lol no fancy lathe or cnc here . I used an old swinger bushing from a 250r cut in half to fill the space on the front linkage for the frame, there’s like 20mm or something to that extent on both sides of the front link that need to filled with something so it stays put in the middle. I cut the sleeve in half and ran a bolt through it and tightened everything down after a good dose of grease was slathered inside the sleeve halves and link bearing.

250r Carrier bolted into the 450r swinger with no issues. It sits off center by a few MM since it’s a tad bit wider than the 450r swinger carrier housing, but with the 4 clamping bolts tight its not going anywhere. I moved it over just a hair to get chain alignment where I thought it was perfect.

There is a little sleeve that the brake caliper stay sits on for the side of the swinger. No clue where I found the sleeve I used or what it came from, but I grinded down two sides of it to make it resemble the stock sleeve but it has a flared back to it so it will actually stay sandwiched between the swinger and brake caliper stay since I was unable to get the 250r sleeve to clip on. I am sure the 450r sleeve for the brake caliper stay may work but I used what I had on hand since the swinger didn’t come with one. Gotta be creative!

The stock 250r shock bolted onto the linkage. I ended up using a smaller bolt for one part of the linkage because the linkages for the 450r use a smaller diameter bolt than the 250r does. I will ad pics, but for the most part it wasn’t an extremely hard install and I was able to get it done with only 75$ worth of a 2007 swinger and 450r linkage and my existing 250r axle and brake components. Def a good swap if you want to go for a lighter swinger to replace your old stock cracked swinger or an extended impractical swinger.

I will take some pics of the bike tonight and how it sits, and some close ups of the front linkage and the brake stay sleeve and other parts. I am running an ebay 45$ adjustable rear link for lowering the bike's ride height on the atc500r bike. I was told using the stock 450r linkages will give the bike too tall of a ride height. I planned on buying another 45$ lowering link but after getting the bike assembled and sitting on its own wheels i think the ride height is perfect. pics soon
    Last edited by JasonB; 04-14-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--

Not completely done but here's some shots.

TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    I need to go back through a few things, and I need new rear brake pads too. Lots of little stuff but it's mostly fitted and ready for abuse

--
    Stay tuned folks, next up after I get the rear end of this 310 dialed in is going to be a minty fresh 86 350x from Mr Clean that's going to get a set of Halls inverts and an 06+ 450r swinger as well. 310 will be gettin a set of inverts to match this new rear end along with a rebuilt/revalved rear shock. My fleets all getting new legs lmao

--
    Ive got brake pads for you. For whatever reason I have like 10 sets for 250r's, and NONE for the x's lol.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Looks killer Jason! I have an 05 and 07 450 and the 07 rides sooooooo good in the rear end. Couldnt imagine how a trike with that plus inverts would feel like..... guess my 85 350X will have to find out too lmao
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    OK.

I just went through the process of performing this swap. i did a couple things differently than Jason did and wanted to detail these small changes and cover a caouple thigns that Jason didnt cover.

First issue when doing this swap that one will encounter is the front link sleeve (pro link). this is the sleeve that the new 450R link will ride on. You will need the OD the same as the 450R sleeve, and the ID the same as the 250R sleeve that went in its place before the swap. This can be custom machined, or it can be found inside the dog bone link that you removed from the 250R shock linkage. this is a direct fit. You will then need spacers to keep the link centered. you can use a pivot sleeve cut in half, or have a set machined. i had a set machined.

The final issue you will run into is the bottom shock mount bolt. You will only encounter this issue if youre using the 250R shock. 450R shock wont have this issue. to get this right you will need to have a sleeve machined. no getting around it. the bottom bolt is a strange size to fit the bottom shoch mount holes. i had a sleeve made that has the same ID as the 250R bolt and the same OD as the 450R sleeve in the suspension link. I also had the bolt shortened, drilled, and tapped for an 8mm bolt to secure it in position with no binding.

As i understand what Jason wrote, he used the 450R 12mm bolt through the 15(ish)MM 250R shock mount hole and 12MM 450R linkage sleeve. for my purposes, this would not have held up so i had a sleeve machined and a bolt shortened. you can get away with just having the sleeve made and use spacers to keep the long 250R bottom shock mount bolt centered.

this may not make much sense to someone who has not done this swap, but if you're considering it, know that to do it properly with the 250R shock, you will need at least one custom machined sleeve.

again, if you use the 450R shock, or an aftermarket 450R shock you will not need to machine a bushing

--
    Just did the same swap. I used an 05 because it is an inch shorter for my flat track bike. I used all 250 linkage and shock. Only thing I changed was the dogbone. I made an adjustable one with 450 on swingarm end and 250 on shock end

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //