//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Red Tecate Project

--

My Red Tecate Project

Last July, I picked up this red Tecate on the cheap.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...94#post1240194

Since then, I sold both my green ones and the parts Tecate is dwindling away so this is, technically, my only runner.

I decided, after the spring ride in OK, I'd like to have a T3 to ride at Rampage so the thrash is on!

This trike ran and I rode it when I bought it but it needed, primarily:
    - front brakes top to bottom
    - replacement fork tubes & fork rebuild (no damping at all)
    - swingarm bushings
    - rebuilt or replacement shock (no damping at all)
    - chain and sprockets
    - some welding on the frame (broken coil mount and replace steering stops)

But, you know how these things go:
    - if I have the swinger off for bushings, I should repaint all that stuff since somebody went nuts with a
    - if I have the forks off for a rebuild and the rear suspension off, I'm about 10 bolts away from pulling the engine and painting the frame

Anyway, I have the rear suspension apart and wanted to compare the swingarm and dogbone with some of my assorted spares.

Turns out, my swingarm is just under 2" extended.
    Also, I learned about some Tecate rear suspension differences you experts probably already know:
    - 84 and 85 dogbones are different, 84 is shorter and it looks like my custom one is an 84 extended to about 3/4" longer than the stock 85
    - 85 bolts have grease fittings and the dogbone bearings can be lubed but the 84s do not have zerks or easily greaseable bearings
    - 84 v 85 carrier mounts attach differently

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swingers_close.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	191398

Name:	Swingers.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	852.7 KB 
ID:	191397

Name:	Dogbones1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	191395

Name:	Dogbones2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	909.7 KB 
ID:	191396

--
    sounds ilke you have some serious work to do before rampage! you got 2 weeks lol. And i hate how it works out like that; take a few parts off and somehow end up rationalizing a full tear down to redo the entire bike lol. good luck! in for updates
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    I spoke with atv-innovations today and they said they have in stock Red Low Pro Maire fenders. The guy said Maire made some molds for the T3. I've never seen the red ones up for sale lately, not sure if that's what you need?

It looks like your all set up for swapping different shocks with that collection of parts. Do you know what that shock is from? I've been wanting to try a banshee shock, I heard its a bolt on deal.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Drive; 04-19-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: It was atv innovations w/ the red fenders.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    ...my swingarm is just under 2" extended.
    Hello jb2wheels;

I like that length, it's close to what I ran on my race bike.

I have the rear suspension apart and wanted to compare the swingarm and dogbone with some of my assorted spares.

Also, I learned about some Tecate rear suspension differences you experts probably already know:
    - 84 and 85 dogbones are different, 84 is shorter and it looks like my custom one is an 84 extended to about 3/4" longer than the stock 85
    The rocker and shock are different also between the two years.

The 84' Tecate was made in a rush and by the time the first prototype was built and we had tested it and determined the rear bottomed excessively, it was too late to redesign the suspension links so we had to modify the shock to get it to work as well as possible. One of the band aids installed to reduce the bottoming was a VERY long bottoming cushion. If you look at an 84’ shock the cushion takes up around 1/2 the shaft length, lol.

This was one of the issues we addressed in 85’. I ended up using a different rocker ratio and the link and shock were designed up around that.

I suggest you use the 85’ set up of you have it otherwise the frame will bottom out on large jumps and your feet will smash the ground, lol.

84 rod . . - 46102-4008

84 rocker – 39007–4006

85 rod . . - 46102-1128

85 rocker - 39007-1078

84 parts “fish”

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...1984/080182D-6

85 parts “fish”

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...1984/080182J-6

Hope some of this info helps.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Drive View Post
    I spoke with Chaplin Kawasaki or atv-innovations today and they said they have in stock Red Low Pro Maire fenders. The guy said Maire made some molds for the T3. I've never seen the red ones up for sale lately, not sure if that's what you need?

It looks like your all set up for swapping different shocks with that collection of parts. Do you know what that shock is from? I've been wanting to try a banshee shock, I heard its a bolt on deal.
    That's interesting. I should call them. This Tecate has a set of cracked up Red Maier low pros on it now.

I have 2, 85 Tecate shocks. The one on my parts trike has damping but the reservoir is damaged. The one on this trike literally drips oil on the floor if it sits shaft side down. I have a seal kit for it and thought I would try a rebuild since I've never done it before.

I also have a Banshee shock on the way

NO-SCALES is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    You gonna have it ready in time? Sure wish i could make it
    85 Honda 250sx- STILL IN PIECES!!!
    84 Honda 185s - traded off
    85 Yamaha 225dr - parts machine for now
    83 Yamaha tri-zinger 60cc - my sons first 3wheeler. $300 for zinger, $4000 for a broken leg, memories for a life time - PRICELESS
    85 Honda Big Red 250es - traded off
    86 Honda 250r - traded off
    85 Kawasaki Tecate - new toy
    84 Honda 200m - super clean puttin around toy

--
    I'm cutting it close!

It's completely down to the frame now. Frame and other black bits (pegs, shock mount, triples, bars) painted with epoxy today.

I'm not touching the engine. It ran good when I got it and the piston & cylinder look great through the exhaust port. Although, I sent my flywheel to jeswinehart for some preventative work and he turned it around in days. Excellent!

I rebuilt the shock today. I've never done that before. Good thing I had a spare shock - the piston in the reservoir had a hole in it. Unfortunately, I don't think the new seal will last long - the shaft has some significant wear on it. Regardless, it was a fun experiment. I have a Banshee shock for a backup when this one pukes again.

I rebuilt the Forks, too. No surprises there since I already had useable tubes and new seals ready to go.

More painting tomorrow. And swingarm bearings. I might actually start bolting pieces back on it.

--
    Nuts - I had to work late a couple of nights this week so no working on the Trike those nights but:

Monday:

Name:	BareFrameR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	875.8 KB 
ID:	192051

Name:	BareFrameL.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	192050

Name:	MonNightR.jpg 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	192053

Name:	MonNightL.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	192052

Clean parts waiting:

Name:	ShinyBits.JPG 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	192055

I put the stock sock I rebuilt back on with the Banshee spring. Here's why:

Name:	BansheeTecateSPrings.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	192054

It's a little longer and a little heavier. The stock Tecate spring is approx 5 kg/mm and the stock Shee spring is closer to 5.4 kg/mm. With a +2 arm and heavy rider, I probably need a significantly heavier spring but this is what I have.

Here's where I left it Thursday night:

Name:	ThursNightL.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	964.8 KB 
ID:	192057

Name:	ThursNightRear.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	918.9 KB 
ID:	192058

Name:	ThursNightFront.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	192056

Back on 3!

--
    Looking good!
    -Chad

--
    About as done as it's going to get. I still need a couple of parts for the front brake - the little rubber seals/mounts. Should have them today.

Runs good. No leaks yet. I mixed up a batch of 20:1 since I have no clue about the history of the trike. Seems to like it.

Runs the lights with no problem.

Fenders suck but they always did.

Name:	Done1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	192175

Name:	Done2.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	192176

Name:	Headlight1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	192177

Name:	Headlight2.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	192178

Name:	Headlight3.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	192179

Name:	Headlight4.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	192180
    Last edited by jb2wheels; 04-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    It's a little longer and a little heavier. The stock Tecate spring is approx 5 kg/mm and the stock Shee spring is closer to 5.4 kg/mm. With a +2 arm and heavy rider, I probably need a significantly heavier spring but this is what I have.
    Hello;

It's looking good.

Unfortunately, if you plan to jump it that 5.4 will be to light especially if you are using the 84 link and not the 85. If this is the case, it will bottom out like a pig dropped from a roof. That 5.4 approximately compensates for the additional length of the swing arm.

All you can do if it bottoms is run up your preload, max your damping and install a long bumper on the shock shaft.

The spring you need is 5.8 p/n 92081-1857 but they are no where to be had.

If you need a stuffer spring and can't find one, Eibach can make one for you, just call their toll free number.

http://eibach.com/america/en/support/contact-us

--
    Don't let scuba on it. He will break something.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Steve_Man View Post
    Don't let scuba on it. He will break something.
    That green trike was a fickle bi...girl. Really messed him up good.

--
    No doubt this spring is wimpy. I'm all 85 for the rear suspension but I'm closer to 300lbs in full gear than I should be and probably need something closer to 7 kg/mm. I'll sort it out someday.

ON the plus side, both the front and the rear are under sprung for me so it balances out

Not much jumping for me. The air time is fun but the landings...

Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Hello;

It's looking good.

Unfortunately, if you plan to jump it that 5.4 will be to light especially if you are using the 84 link and not the 85. If this is the case, it will bottom out like a pig dropped from a roof. That 5.4 approximately compensates for the additional length of the swing arm.

All you can do if it bottoms is run up your preload, max your damping and install a long bumper on the shock shaft.

The spring you need is 5.8 p/n 92081-1857 but they are no where to be had.

If you need a stuffer spring and can't find one, Eibach can make one for you, just call their toll free number.

http://eibach.com/america/en/support/contact-us

--
    Just got back from Rampage 2014.

This Tecate is a LOT tamer than the foot breaking green one I sold last year. I don't know if it's just a tamer engine or the +2 arm but it's a lot easier to ride.

It ran great all weekend until I moved the shifter to accommodate the new boots I bought. I could not get the shifter to stay in place after moving it. The splines are crap on the shifter but it was fine before I moved it. Nuts.

The light looks great and makes a lot of light, but I'm not sure I like the pattern. I might change it before the next dune ride. I like the pattern on "The_Steve_Man"s 250R better.

The shock is not great. The damping is wimpy. I expected a weak spring (confirmed) but it has almost no rebound damping. I must of screwed something up. I'll try the Banshee shock next.

The damn swing arm pivot bearings are shot already. Something's not right. I had a hard time getting one into the arm. I bet that's the bad one. I'll have to take a look when I get it apart. I have a stock arm but this thing is so much nicer to ride than the other one's I've had I hate to go back. We'll see.

I have lot's of time before by next sand trip. Maybe OK in October? Maybe Glamis in March? We'll see...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //