//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250sx differential/drive shaft boot replacement!!!

--

250sx differential/drive shaft boot replacement!!!

I have an 85 sx. Everything seems to be working fine and fairly clean but I am wanting to finish my repair but I need help. I have the new boot in place but cannot get enough wiggle room to line up splines/threads of the u-joint and pinion to lock back in to place. From there it is just tightening the bands down on the new boot to avoid water/mud from damaging bearing or the shaft. Any help, links, or videos? Boot is in place and the shaft was simply pressed back and unlocked but I can not push it back far enough to reconnect it to tranny pinion. HELP!!

--
    The propeller shaft will go. I usually put a heavy screwdriver between the propeller shaft and the tranny shaft and pry the end of the propeller shaft on to the end of the tranny shaft. Its tight but it will go.

--
    Oh it helps if you can rotate the rear wheels when you do finally get the propeller shaft sitting on the end of the tranny shaft.

--
    What is the propeller shaft?

--
    Whatever u-joints that connect to the spring loaded portion of the drive shaft are detached from the main gear exposed from tranny. I pushed it back and unhooked it. From that point I wedged the new boot in between the two in to place. I can press it back almost to where only a 16th is preventing the u joint to connect to pinion.

--
    The propeller shaft is the drive shaft. Push a little harder. It will go. I have had the same problem when I set a motor in to the frame. After I get the motor set in and locked down, getting the drive shaft set on the tranny shaft is always a bummer. You might try shooting a bunch of WD-40 all over the drive shaft. Don't worry about the residual, just lube it up real good.

--
    I am SO close. At one point it grabbed and sat behind pinion gear but I had very little wiggle room. After a few adjustment i pushed it almost halfway to locking but it rolled back forward and sprung off >:/! What tools are you using?

--
    That's about normal. Last time I did it, I fought with it for about 20 minutes before I got it to slip on. Keep at it. Sometimes having a helper around is a good thing.

--
    The two issues that could be preventing it from seating: 1. it's cocked or crooked (not perfectly in line with the tranny output) or 2. it needs to rotate to index the splines.

By the way, Honda recommended (in a service bulletin to dealers) that the boot be sealed to the tubes. So, once you get your driveshaft reconnected, I'd use a little RTV (Honda recommends weather strip cement) on the surfaces where the boot seats. This will help to keep water out.

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php...%2FATC250SX%2F
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Good point Frank. The propeller shaft does have to be straight to fully retract.

--
    Thanks for sharing Frank! I will get some of that cement tightening the bands back on it. I am also going to order another boot just to have on hand. I am picking up that those things are harder to find. Purchased mine from Honda shop for 23$. I was stunned! Flyingw, I used a large flat head and pushed the shaft back through the center of the u-joint. Rolling the bike back and forth allowed me to find that spot where it wanted to drop behind the pinion enough to be reset. Yes lining up the splines is another challenge. Once I get it behind the pinion though I can keep it pressed back a bit and roll tires to get splines to line up, right?

I will keep at it. The shaft looks good though, and I have oiled it really heavy. Grease and gear oil

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	191620 If link works

--
    Spent 20 minutes with a helper getting the new boot on. Then another 20 trying to get the drive shaft back together. I am almost there. Figured I needed to step away and try it again tomorrow. I am really glad I check in here, now I know about the RTV. For sure doing that!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210708_101651.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	845.0 KB 
ID:	267878

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //