//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen is Expensive?

--

Nitrogen is Expensive?

I rebuilt my first rear shock this weekend. Pretty straightforward parts R&R - new seal & oil & replace the piston in the reservoir.

Except for the nitrogen charge. I figured I could get it done at one of the local shops.

Maybe not...

First place I went was one of the big dealers in town. They said, "$50".
    I said, "$50?!?"
    He said, "Nitrogen is expensive."

Huh?

Now, I'm no expert, $50 for a shot of nitrogen and 5 minutes work?
    The way they acted, I felt like they would just take my $50 and fill it with air from the compressor.

Anybody have suggestions for getting this shock charged? I'll try a couple of other shops since they'll be open tomorrow (Tuesday).

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I HAVE THE WHOLE SETUP TO RECHARGE SHOCKS,, the gas alone is about $20 for enough to charge 50 shocks,, maybe more,, the regulator was$120 and the hookup was $65 ,, so for them to charge $50 is hiway robbery,,,, if you prorate your equipment over 100 shocks it costs about $5 with labor to charge a shock,,,,

--
    ya, my local dealer charges 35 and fills a shock with the same apparatus that you'd fill a tire. never again.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    hello;

call around to some off road truck supply shops and off road truck building shops. they use it in their huge off road shocks and might be a bit less money.

--
    Geez the shop I go to charges me 5 bucks. 50 is just crazy

--
    6 bucks to re-charge my shocks at the local guy here in STL.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Truth is 70% of every breath you take is nitrogen..it's the most common gas on planet earth.

It's inert/non-reactive properties make it perfect for many applications from welding to gas shocks..

It's the equipment needed to separate and compress that costs the money.

As you've found out there are those out there that charge a lot to recharge!!
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by KASEY View Post
    I HAVE THE WHOLE SETUP TO RECHARGE SHOCKS,, the gas alone is about $20 for enough to charge 50 shocks,, maybe more,, the regulator was$120 and the hookup was $65 ,, so for them to charge $50 is hiway robbery,,,, if you prorate your equipment over 100 shocks it costs about $5 with labor to charge a shock,,,,
    does this mean you will recharge shocks for ppl Kasey?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    6 bucks to re-charge my shocks at the local guy here in STL.
    WHERE?!?! I have been giving it some thought to rebuilding my own shocks. I got screwed about 8 years ago when i had my 84 250r shock recharged by Donnelson Cycles here in south county, the nailed me for 80$. That place is AWFUL, prices through the roof for everything.
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    WHERE?!?! I have been giving it some thought to rebuilding my own shocks. I got screwed about 8 years ago when i had my 84 250r shock recharged by Donnelson Cycles here in south county, the nailed me for 80$. That place is AWFUL, prices through the roof for everything.
    Wow. I picked up a main jet there last week and it was cheaper than anywhere on the net. But I have noticed Mugenast Honda charges over MSRP for everything. Belleville Honda charges list price, and under list a lot of times as well.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Big St. Charles Motorsports recharged my 200x shock for 6 bucks two years ago.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I know a guy that builds sand rails and uses big coilovers so he always has his nitrogen tank ready to go. I bring him a twelve pack of domestic swill, so around $15.

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Big St. Charles Motorsports recharged my 200x shock for 6 bucks two years ago.
    Im in the same boat, I'd like to try rebuilding my own just to see if I could.
    I'll look into big st Charles, though I called the other day and asked about boring my 84 250r cylinder and they told me they don't do that type of work anymore, so I took it to donellsons cycles instead.
    Where's everyone find the output seal at? I think I may have seen on on eBay ?

--
    SUCCESS!

This shop is close to my house. Charged me $10 for the charge and spent 20 minutes with me talking about the right way to put the shock together and bleed it.
    http://www.812suspensiondesign.com/home.html

Owner is a retired military veteran. Shop is spotless and has a couple of 2-stroke KTMs in it.

Best $10 I've spent in a while!

I spent a long lunch dropping by various shops and one said, "I got this card from a guy..."

Dropping by the shop on the way home from work was the high point of my day!

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I WOULD DO SHOCKS,but the shipping to and from isn't worth it.... but if your in the dunes with me,,, I will for DR. PEPPERS!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //