//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else notice the leniency with trikes lately? Booming popularity

--

Anyone else notice the leniency with trikes lately? Booming popularity

Has anyone else noticed the leniency with three wheelers later? It seems like everyone is becoming more accepting of them. I mean the biasedness towards the old "death trap" stereotype has seemed to dramatically decrease over the last 2 years, but recently, as in, last year or even 6 months, it seems like everyone is starting to open up again to them.

Why? Is it the vintage appeal? The fact that people are finally realizing that it's not the machine that's the problem, but the rider?

Look at everything lately. You've got high dollar trikes going on Ebay, quite frequently. Dirt Wheels features three wheelers at least 3-4 times a week on their Facebook page (just today they posted a picture of a slick 250R) and quite often features them in their magazine. Just the other day, they asked what more vintage three wheeling stuff you wanted in the magazine and people delivered. ATV Rider Magazine has started featuring them again, at least online. ATV on Demand is doing all sorts of cool reviews and build videos on them. The amount of likes and comments they get on Facebook/YouTube and everywhere else is through the roof; they blow almost everything else away when posted. There's tons of videos on YouTube of them, parts are getting reproduced more and some prices are going up due to the demand. Hardly anyone says anything bad about them these days, and the comments are almost always good. I've seen more three wheelers around lately as well. I have gotten friends of mine into the scene that previously wanted nothing to do with them. Vintage trike racing has seriously taken off across the country, from coast to coast. Aftermarket companies are having a field day with these machines, the amount of support for them these days is ridiculous. More race parks and trail parks are opening up for them. Insurance companies aren't giving hardly any hassle when it comes to insuring them. Registering them and titling them is as easy as it is for any other vehicle. Even some quad riders have switched to three wheelers. I'm also a member of several trike groups on Facebook. In one in particular, Honda ATC, in the 2 months or so I have been there, the group has doubled in people joining it and is exploding with more people. We are talking thousands of people here.

I can't be the only one who is seeing this. Popularity is EXPLODING these days.

--
    I would have to say that; though more coverage and movement is happening in the general three wheeler world of things, the reaction from people is still the same.

"Aren't those things Dangerous?"
    "Aren't three wheeler banned?"
    "I hear that if the cops catch you on one they crush it..."
    "Those things are illegal!"
    etc...

As for insurance coverage, I don't know what it's like in the states, but most except a select few here in Canada will either cover you for a high price or tell you no.
    When it comes to general use, most places in Canada have ORV type laws, and with the exception of a few provinces and territories, most others state that y ou can only ride the trikes on YOUR property or crown land if you have the proper documents, licenses and insurance. Many places require trail passes.
    When it comes to Law enforcement, most cops still think they are banned/illegal and will seize the machine. Been there...

As for pricing... as more people get involved, more the price will be driven up... people talk and think their vintage ride will bring in a high dollar... even thought most times it's a scrap metal on wheels. But now and then, a deal comes along or a rare find of a well kept machine will pop up.

Anyways, I didn't want to be a buzz kill, but that is the way things are in my end.

[B]
    1973-74 Honda ATC 70 Chrome Custom

Argo (ODG) Taurus 650, Pacesetter WR-PIII, Commuter 380, TE390, Granger, Sasquatch, John Deere AMT 600, Honda 250es & sx

Trikefest Survivor: 2014, 2015, 2016
    Trikefest Alberta: 2017, 2020

Trikefest 2015 A.K.A MUDFEST
    Coolpool: TURN!
    hoosierlogger: I'M TRY'N TO TURN! (Riding his ALT50)

--
    Good post slash. I agree 100%.

Mattdragontamer, ive never heard of a trike being seized by the police for the reason that they were "illegal" or "banned" in my life, and I think its a quite a sweeping statement to say "most cops think" this or that. How do you know?

Insurance is easy to get. It is here anyway. Mine is $22 a month.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDragontamer View Post
    I would have to say that; though more coverage and movement is happening in the general three wheeler world of things, the reaction from people is still the same.

"Aren't those things Dangerous?"
    "Aren't three wheeler banned?"
    "I hear that if the cops catch you on one they crush it..."
    "Those things are illegal!"
    etc...
    While I agree a lot of the arrogance is still there, I have noticed a large decrease in it overall. Not that it's ever gone away (and at this point, likely never will), but it's much less than it was 5 years ago. I tend to notice more of those comments come from those who want nothing to do with bikes or ATV's to begin with as well, or do and just don't own any.

As for insurance coverage, I don't know what it's like in the states, but most except a select few here in Canada will either cover you for a high price or tell you no.
    I'm finding many insurance agencies here in the states will cover them. Anyone I know who has owned one with insurance tells me it's not a big deal, simply take out a policy on it like any other ATV.

When it comes to general use, most places in Canada have ORV type laws, and with the exception of a few provinces and territories, most others state that y ou can only ride the trikes on YOUR property or crown land if you have the proper documents, licenses and insurance. Many places require trail passes.
    Yes it is much different here in the states, depending on the state you live in. NY requires that you have it registered, but that's about it. Some trail parks you need to have a membership to ride but otherwise you are fine.

When it comes to Law enforcement, most cops still think they are banned/illegal and will seize the machine. Been there...
    Then the cops were in the wrong because that is straight up BS.

As for pricing... as more people get involved, more the price will be driven up... people talk and think their vintage ride will bring in a high dollar... even thought most times it's a scrap metal on wheels. But now and then, a deal comes along or a rare find of a well kept machine will pop up.

Anyways, I didn't want to be a buzz kill, but that is the way things are in my end.
    That's a given. But yes I do notice that with rising popularity more people seen to think their junkers are worth plenty of money.

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post

Mattdragontamer, ive never heard of a trike being seized by the police for the reason that they were "illegal" or "banned" in my life, and I think its a quite a sweeping statement to say "most cops think" this or that. How do you know?
    I know a few cops around here that own them, so....

Yup, as I said, take out an normal ATV policy. They don't care about how many wheels it has.

--

My dads a cop and owns a three wheeler. Pretty sure he never seized any, if he did he didn't bring them home for me.

All messing around aside, I have not been into the scene long enough to really see it happening. I ride trikes since I was a little tike but mainly out of necessity. I didn't get into them really and passionate about them until like 5 years ago. And wasn't really aware of the whole "scene" until I joined here. But since then I have spread the joy of trikes like a Jehovah witness and convinced a few friends to buy them. So I agree, it is getting more popular. Let's hope it doesn't go mainstream, I like being the weirdo on a trike doing things quad guys would never with 3 wheels.

--
    I think it is going a bit mainstream again now that the media is starting to acknowledge it again. But not like it was back then. That will never happen again.

I have been around them all my life, but I never started really getting into them until I was about 14-15, maybe 12-13. Somewhere in there.

Even a year ago, they were booming as much as they are now. Just take a quick look around the net and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

--
    It does seem that some trikes fanatics would rather not see it gain popularity, as if we were the first people to realize that trikes were cool......

Look at the price of a 4 wheeler, absolutely outrageous, especially considering that a trike will normally beat much bigger quads off road. The higher prices go on quads, the more people will rediscover trikes, and will remember that they should never let The Man keep 'em down...

--
    $6,500 for a brand new 2014 Honda 400X. Not even a 450R.

How much do you want to bet a freshened but otherwise stock 350X will keep up with it in a straight line and beat it on the trails? You can get a nice X for $1,500. A few hop up parts and it will crush it.

People are realizing this. Plus, they just look badass.

--
    I do agree that they do seem to be gaining some ground with the average person but many people are still just as clueless as ever. Last fall I went to buy an 85 250r from some guy out in the boonies. It was already a good deal (ran but was rough) and he wanted $500, got him down to $300 but after I had it loaded he said "if anyone sees you with that don't tell them you got it from me". I realized he was not joking so being quoi I asked him why and he told me that they were illegal to own. I of course acted shocked and told him I wasn't sure I still wanted it and he dropped the price to $150
    1986 KLT 185
    1984 200S

Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-Ebaccm26

--
    Sometimes that works to our advantage

But yeah I have to say there is definitely a resurgence going on.

--
    This resurgence didnt start 2 years ago, you just weren't around to see it. Dont confuse social media growth with actual growth, there are fewer trikes and riders out every year.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    This resurgence didnt start 2 years ago, you just weren't around to see it. Dont confuse social media growth with actual growth, there are fewer trikes and riders out every year.
    With the way our country works now social media growth translates into actual growth in relation to the perception that people hold about thee wheelers or anything else for that matter. There are certainly not fewer trikes every year. Maybe there is in a literal sense since some bikes will be scrapped, parted, etc. but those are usually bikes that were already "gone" anyways. People here and elsewhere on a regular basis bring bikes back from the dead and I would wager that at this point that the amount of bikes being saved is greater than the amount of bikes being physically lost.
    1986 KLT 185
    1984 200S

Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-Ebaccm26

--
    ^^^^^^what he said.

And don't forget that some people aren't afraid to take risks, build stuff, try to sell it.

Trikes are simple, we don't need Honda frames to build them. Custom motorcycles brought me here. The more modern takes we see on trikes, I think the more people will be interested. And I think that is happening right now.

--
    Where I ride in norther NY on Tug Hill, my trikes get quite a bit of exposure. They have been the catalyst of random conversation with total strangers more times than I can count.

I have been though police checkpoints where they make sure you are riding right... (registered, insured, helmet, and sober). Most asked how old my machine is and complimented it for being nice for it's age. But I did have one ask me how I managed to register it since they are "Illegal"... I took a few minutes to educate him (politely) on the fact that 3 wheeled ATV's are far from illegal and they are registered like any other ATV. He did check my papers, I'm guessing to verify the info on my reg matched the machine I was riding, complimented me on the work I had into it and told to have a nice day and a good ride.

I don't see how any policeman could have any authority to impound a trike unless you were riding dirty... (no reg, no ins, no helmet, riding in an area not open to ATV use, etc) That is your property, and they cannot just take it from you without just cause and a warrant..At least here in the states anyway....

I am seldom met with people who try to tell me how dangerous my trikes are..Once in awhile, yes. But by and large most start telling me about what they had "back in the day" and ask how I managed to get it licensed...

But yes, as someone born in the late 70's who grew up an 80's kid that remembers the witch hunt on those "deadly" 3 wheelers..even had family preaching about them swearing off trikes and forever loyal to quads, it does seem to me that most people that are into ATVing are much more receptive to the trikes. Those who don't even ride quads?? Well, there's no hope for them to begin with. They are too busy whining and complaining about any and all off road powersports in general to have anything but contempt for trikes, let alone accept them.....
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Except I was around to see it. I've been in the trike scene since I was born. And I sourced here and lurked long before I ever signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ebaccm26 View Post
    With the way our country works now social media growth translates into actual growth in relation to the perception that people hold about thee wheelers or anything else for that matter. There are certainly not fewer trikes every year. Maybe there is in a literal sense since some bikes will be scrapped, parted, etc. but those are usually bikes that were already "gone" anyways. People here and elsewhere on a regular basis bring bikes back from the dead and I would wager that at this point that the amount of bikes being saved is greater than the amount of bikes being physically lost.

I am in 100% agreement with this.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Where I ride in norther NY on Tug Hill, my trikes get quite a bit of exposure. They have been the catalyst of random conversation with total strangers more times than I can count.

I have been though police checkpoints where they make sure you are riding right... (registered, insured, helmet, and sober). Most asked how old my machine is and complimented it for being nice for it's age. But I did have one ask me how I managed to register it since they are "Illegal"... I took a few minutes to educate him (politely) on the fact that 3 wheeled ATV's are far from illegal and they are registered like any other ATV. He did check my papers, I'm guessing to verify the info on my reg matched the machine I was riding, complimented me on the work I had into it and told to have a nice day and a good ride.

I don't see how any policeman could have any authority to impound a trike unless you were riding dirty... (no reg, no ins, no helmet, riding in an area not open to ATV use, etc) That is your property, and they cannot just take it from you without just cause and a warrant..At least here in the states anyway....

I am seldom met with people who try to tell me how dangerous my trikes are..Once in awhile, yes. But by and large most start telling me about what they had "back in the day" and ask how I managed to get it licensed...

But yes, as someone born in the late 70's who grew up an 80's kid that remembers the witch hunt on those "deadly" 3 wheelers..even had family preaching about them swearing off trikes and forever loyal to quads, it does seem to me that most people that are into ATVing are much more receptive to the trikes. Those who don't even ride quads?? Well, there's no hope for them to begin with. They are too busy whining and complaining about any and all off road powersports in general to have anything but contempt for trikes, let alone accept them.....
    That's exactly what I am saying. People that ride seem to be much more interested in them versus ones that don't and the ones that don't are usually the ones that believe the BS stories that the media portrayed years ago. You could not have described what I was getting at better as far as the reception of these machines with the people. Most people compliment them now.

Just today I had 4 of my friends tell me they wanted one, 2 of them I didn't even know they were interested in them.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //