//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 85 tecate questions and build

emmie357 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I got it running, and man does it rip. First time I ever rode a tecate.

I took it for a quick trip through the woods to get a feel for it, I feel like I'm leaning over the tank with the lowered front forks and an 86 KX250 dogbone adjusted up in the rear. jb2weels has some fork parts in the mail coming my way (big thanks to him) so that should be straightened out soon enough.

Rear master is failing, there is a rip in the bottom "boot" thing. I'm not sure what this master was off of, so I ordered a 90's kx125-kx250 rear master that I'll be able to fit. I have this sweet street sign rear master bracket that came with the trike:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	193117

other then that it's pissing out a little rad fluid from (or from near) the rad cap. I replaced the rad cap... new one fits nice and tight, so I need to see if maybe there's a crack or pin hole somewhere around the rad cap. It kinda just leaves a few drops on top of the triple and on the right side of the gas tank, so the problem is in the rad cap area...

Here is a pic of the plug, it was a little black and oily, now looks like it got a little white-ish.

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	193118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	193119
    I was running a BR8ES, now picked up a few B8ES plugs, so I can post up some pics again after running a fresh one.

Here is how it sits right now:

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	193120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	193123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	193124

Still needs some decals before I'm happy... I'm even considering a black DC tank shroud. I thought the red seat, tank, and number plate would look good together, but now I'm thinking it may be too much. I also have to fine tune the jetting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0153.JPG   IMG_0151.JPG  
    Last edited by emmie357; 05-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--

Question

Glad to hear you got it running! I'm about to install my new Sprock Racing BB engine in the frame but I'm hesitant because of the clutch. I met a guy on CL who works on a lot of quads.... He replaced my crank bearings and seals, installed the BB Kit and new gaskets,,,, and he said he checked the clutch and everything looked good.

So here's what is going on, the clutch actuator arm can be pulled foward,,, actually I can put it in any position and it will not spring back into its normal/original place.

I picked it up non running, and before I tore it down the clutch felt the same. It could be pulled but it never sprang back or returned into its original position.

Will sanding the plates and adding an washers to the springs solve this problem? Or is there something else that needs to be addressed?

If it was not such a hassle to remove the clutch cover while installed in the frame I'd already have it in there. Sorry for hijacking your thread but there has been a lot of good info here regarding the 85 T3 Clutch.

Heres a few pics of the clutch arm in different positions.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2178

--
    came out sweet. I think the red tank would look good with some blk decals on the tank to tie it in like the original tank decal

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Drive View Post
    Glad to hear you got it running! I'm about to install my new Sprock Racing BB engine in the frame but I'm hesitant because of the clutch. I met a guy on CL who works on a lot of quads.... He replaced my crank bearings and seals, installed the BB Kit and new gaskets,,,, and he said he checked the clutch and everything looked good.

So here's what is going on, the clutch actuator arm can be pulled foward,,, actually I can put it in any position and it will not spring back into its normal/original place.

I picked it up non running, and before I tore it down the clutch felt the same. It could be pulled but it never sprang back or returned into its original position.

Will sanding the plates and adding an washers to the springs solve this problem? Or is there something else that needs to be addressed?

If it was not such a hassle to remove the clutch cover while installed in the frame I'd already have it in there. Sorry for hijacking your thread but there has been a lot of good info here regarding the 85 T3 Clutch.

Heres a few pics of the clutch arm in different positions.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2178
    I imagine you may be missing the ball that goes in with the push rod , or maybe the flat piece that sits at the end of the push rod... Something is preventing the rod from contacting the plate.

It was a pain to get the cover off with the engine installed at first, but once I got the method down it wasn't too bad. Just remove the kicker, foot peg, and rad hoses from the clutch cover. Then I had to pull the left side of the cover off to clear kicker gear, and rotate the cover clockwise until I can get the thin part of the clutch cover to pass between the peg's mounts and the clutch basket.

I scratched the paint on my clutch cover, so if it had to do it again I would try putting some painters tape on the peg mount. Good luck.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--
    Quote Originally Posted by aldochina View Post
    came out sweet. I think the red tank would look good with some blk decals on the tank to tie it in like the original tank decal
    Thanks, I was going to put a black Kawi logo on the tank like the 85's had, but haven't ordered one yet... I keep going back and forth on picking up an 84 tank decal... I know it's not the right one, but I like the looks of it and I think the black and white would look sweet. They run about $50 on ebay, that's really a drop in the bucket compared to what I've spent so far but seems pricy for a sticker.

Hey, you're not to far from me, I'm over in Altamont.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--
    I bought these tank decals for my red one. I actually asked the seller to make them based on some other decals he has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171309217263...84.m1497.l2649

The originals are actually 3 colors: a very dark blue (might have been black 30 years ago) letters with white outline on red background.

These decals are black letters, white outline. I have not put them on the tank yet.

The seller made them exactly as I asked and they're inexpensive and good enough for my driver.

--
    When you check your spark plug you are not actually supposed to look at the tip but down inside it on the porcelain for a ring of a certain color black to tan but not pure white(no color). Anyway it can be hard to see and looking at the tip gives one a good idea of how hot it and what it is burning anyway.

I would say your plug looks fine, you could just ride it until it fouls to see if the oil is not burning off, but if your arent revving it high and running like a racer it may not burn off real well like it is supposed to. Remaining idle is not good for motors.

Nice job! Did you put FMF universal turbine core on there?

It would be more fun with some lighter knobby tires. You wouldnt believe how much gain there is when you lessen the rotating mass on the rear. Unless those tires are light? Never had those kind before. They look good for snow or mud or something.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    The radiator is probably leaking because it is often a complaint by other owners.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Actually jb, I was looking for a set with a white outline. That's what I've seen on the green 85's. Not sure I've ever actually seen a red 85 with all the stock decals.
    I'll probably order those exact ones.

Quote Originally Posted by nd4speed View Post
    Nice job! Did you put FMF universal turbine core on there?

It would be more fun with some lighter knobby tires. You wouldnt believe how much gain there is when you lessen the rotating mass on the rear. Unless those tires are light? Never had those kind before. They look good for snow or mud or something.
    I put the FMF on myself. I cut a straight section from the curved connector pipe it came with and used that to go between the silencer and the stock pipe.

I'll eventually replace the tires, these are the ones that came on it, They still have some of the injection nubs and are in great shape. They are heavy and inflexible, must be 6 ply. Kenda Dirt Dogs, seems like a great mud tire. I wish they were 22 inches, I would throw them on my wife's Bayou in a heartbeat.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    hello;

what was wrong with your clutch?

how does it work now?

your plug looks a bit rich to me

was it a recent one or old?

does it ever burble like its rich?

what oil and ratio do you use?

--
    Clutch problem was definitely the plates, all replaced with NOS. Also went with new springs and a cable, hooks up great now.

It was a new plug after I rebuilt the engine, so it went through my prior oily gas and clogged carb issues. I put a fresh one in today. I'll probably take a peek at it tomorrow.
    No burbling that I've noticed. It runs great at WOT, but the trails around here are too muddy, rocky, and windy for me to rip on. I keep having to run at low RPMs, which I know isn't helping. I need to find a more open riding area.

I'm still using the yamalube 2 I bought for break-in. It was 20:1 so I watered it down by mixing 2 gallons of pre-mixed, and a little less then 1 gallon of fresh gas. So not an exact measure, but it should around 32:1 (definitely above 30:1).

I took another look at those tires, they are 22x11-10. The wife's bayou is in need of new tires all around so I'll probably throw these on it's rear and order up some 20 inchers.
    I also got the rear brakes working with a 90-something kx-250 rear master installed.
    New fork parts should be here Monday. Then I'm almost all set.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--
    I have had this thing running great, forks rebuilt with jb2wheel's parts (thanks again), got it jetted well, been having a blast on it.

Now I'm looking for a skid plate. Anyone have any idea who makes one for the stock swinger? Or will a Mojave one (or something else) bolt up? The Mojave one looks promising by looking at pics, but if it was that easy I'm sure it would have been posted already...
    I have a rear brake disc guard, but am in need or a chain guard. I ride real rocky trails, so it's only a matter of time before I smash something good.

Some updated pics too while I'm at it:

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	195188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	195189
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--
    Looks great!

I have not put my stickers on yet.

As far as skid plates - I have no idea about an aftermarket set. The stock plate was actually 2 plates - 1 for the disk side and 1 for the sprocket side.

--
    Thanks jb, I actually got the stickers you linked to above. I like the look.
    And I had to order a team green sticker from blue27's ebay store.

I would really like an aluminum aftermarket one piece skid plate, but have never seen one for the tecate.
    I eyed up the DG plate on my blaster, but I don't think it will work. It bolts outside the carrier between the carrier and the rotor on one side and the sprocket on the other.
    84 YTM200E "yamahauler"
    85 YTM200
    85 KXT250 Tecate

--

Skid plate

I wanted the same thing for my Tecate Emmie. I ended up making mine about 4 years ago for the 4 inch exstended 86/87 Tecate swing arm I have on my 84/85 halfbreed.
    So perhaps this may give you some ideas to fab your own. I never been on a rocky trail with mine, just sand and it works as I expected, slides over sand very well.
    I meant to look for the oem guards but forgot when I got to snapping some pictures but I believe I have both sides and no use for them.
    john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tecate 1.jpg   skid plate 3.jpg   skid plate 2.jpg   skid plate 1.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //