//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mr_Gixxer's 200es build

--

Mr_Gixxer's 200es build

So going by the forum rules I must post here in this subforum because I'm one of the new guys on the block. Some of you may have seen my intro thread and the picture of my new to me 200es I got in a trade. She is in fairly decent shape for being a 30 year old machine but needs some small things here and there to bring it back to its glory. Well, small things turn into big things real quick when you start looking for parts that haven't been made for decades. I'm too committed to turn back now though!

Here is a list of the bad...

-Top end is leaking oil slightly from the head
    -Exhaust is rusted beyond repair and has a patch welded on that is leaking on the pipe
    -Oil needs changed
    -New spark plug needed
    -Carb needs adjusted, bogs down the harder you accelerate
    -Foam air filter is nonexistent
    -Brake light not working
    -Rear brakes are VERY sticky
    -Front tire won't hold air for more than a day, rim is bent pretty bad
    -Fairings are cracked but repaired in multiple places, no fading though
    -Front and rear racks have slight bends in them and needs a good paint job
    -Fuel tank is clean but slight indentation in the rear
    -Factory stickers are half gone and there are other junk stickers added

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140428_122108.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	192454

First thing I did was change the oil and clean up the screen. This proved to be my first headache as I didn't have any 24mm sockets to drain the pan. Trip to lowes I went! I guess any time you can justify buying more tools is a good day though I figure! Picked 10w-40 4 stroke oil for motorcycles from valvoline and sprayed the oil screen down with brake cleaner and topped her off with fresh lube.

Next, removed the NGK Iridium plug it had in. It was extremely blackened and looked very wet. I picked up two standard NGK plugs so I had an extra on hand and gave the beast a new spark in life.

Carburetor was next. Without taking it apart I first tried adjusting it. Fired it up, couple turns of the knob and purred like a kitten! Done, for now.

Air filter issue comes next. Decided to order a K&N replacement filter due to the bike only running with the screen and no foam filter. OEM filters weren't an option either. I did check out the UNI filters but decided to spend more on something I know will last longer than this old girl. Wasn't sure how the K&N's were going to fit but went at it anyway. First thing, I wasn't very pleased with it and I think the UNI's would have the same issue. The trouble is this. The stock filter was supposed to slip over the screen core and clamp on the intake end. The other end would have a hole in it so the screen core nut would be exposed letting you screw the whole assembly onto the air box bracket. This air box bracket is the only way the whole unit stays in place inside the air box. The K&N had no such hole in the one end to allow this to happen. I wound up sliding the new filter onto the core, clamping it on(which the opening of the filter was oversized by about an eighth inch) and slipping the assembly into the intake hose and wedging the bracket in the back of the air box with the bolt pressing against the plastic end of the filter. After screwing the air box cover back on it seems to be pretty secure but I'm not too sure if the filter unit will wind up slipping out of the intake hose over rough terrain. I may be taking the K&N back and looking at other options.

And now my latest project. Fixing the issue with the front wheel not holding air. Took the rim and tire off the front and took a spare tube I had up to the local honda shop to put a tube in it and fix it. Yea, not as simple as it originally sounded.(sensing a trend here) After installing the tube at the honda shop they noticed it STILL wasn't holding air. WTF! Apparently the tube was the right size for the tire, the valve was not in the right location I guess and was on a bind. Ok, I figured instead of messing around with it I would just put a new rim on the front and be done with it. YEA RIGHT! After looking through all the books and files he could pull out at the parts desk we gave up trying to find a single rim with even the 4x150mm bolt pattern let alone one that was 9x9. Great, ebay time. There are about a half dozen rims on ebay that would fit but all were in terrible shape and for 50-60 bucks I wasn't having it. Now what? Found some sweet new 3-6 offset rims I could put on the rear, use one of the old rear rims for the front and I'll still have a spare if I need it! Rims will be here Wednesday. I plan to paint all three rims gloss black and was toying around with the idea of doing the hubs and rings in red. Don't know yet...

More to come!!!
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; 05-03-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    I'd like to add that there are a lot of good things I've found.

-Front shocks still work
    -Gearbox and rear end seem tight and crisp
    -Front brakes look in great shape and work great
    -The seat appears to be original and in EXCELLENT shape without a single scuff or scratch to be seen
    -All original parts seem to be here even though some parts show their age
    -Fires right up every time even when the motor is cold without even choking it
    -Got the service manual with the deal as well as the original users manual(no tool kit though)
    -All electronics other than the rear taillight work as they should, even still has the cap on the auxiliary outlet(what we're these for again?)
    -New battery
    -New starter motor
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; 05-02-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Welcome. Where in PA are you? And what is that in your avatar? Sounds like you are learning very quickly what fun these are to work on!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Welcome. Where in PA are you? And what is that in your avatar? Sounds like you are learning very quickly what fun these are to work on!
    I'm in Clinton county. My avatar is a guy draggin' knees on a playground panda

Yea, learning pretty quick how difficult this project is becoming! Will be nice when it's done, all the hard work will make it that much sweeter!
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Ok,,,,wouldn't have ever guessed that! I'm in Sullivan county . Did you go to the Kubota/Honda New Holland dealer for parts?

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

--
    Ok,,,,wouldn't have ever guessed that! I'm in Sullivan county . Did you go to the Kubota/Honda New Holland dealer for parts?
    Yea. It was the last place I wanted to go but that's the closest shop within about 30 miles. We used to have a dedicated honda shop but it got bought out by the local kubota dealer. There is a small mom and pop shop in a little town called salladasburg that probably has all kinds of rare old OEM parts laying around that I'd love to go check out one of these days. They also do good work and do things old school. Seen them balance my gixxer tires by hand and eye once, and they did an awesome job too! Those kinds of places are the best and hard to find anymore.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Yeah, Gary's a great guy.. He doesn't have much if any 3 wheel stuff though They are great guys where you went though. Just a little wtet behind the ears. think about how long they spent trying to help you and how much profit they made off you. Not much lol. They are trying

Dave_D is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    My uni filter dissent have the hole you speak of either I just lined the hole up with bracket and screwed it together anyways
    Not saying go for it. Just what I did

Welcome to the boards aswell I have a 84 ES to and love it

Dave

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
    My uni filter dissent have the hole you speak of either I just lined the hole up with bracket and screwed it together anyways
    Not saying go for it. Just what I did

Welcome to the boards aswell I have a 84 ES to and love it

Dave
    Thanks for the welcome.

I actually thought about modifying the K&N to make it work like you describe. This would require drilling a hole in the rubber end cap of the filter to accomplish which isn't a huge deal. Not sure if the filter is too long though for the little bolt to stick through and reach the nut on the end of the insert. I'll take a closer look next chance I get and take some measurements before I decide what to do next.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

Dave_D is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

I actually thought about modifying the K&N to make it work like you describe. This would require drilling a hole in the rubber end cap of the filter to accomplish which isn't a huge deal. Not sure if the filter is too long though for the little bolt to stick through and reach the nut on the end of the insert. I'll take a closer look next chance I get and take some measurements before I decide what to do next.
    Mine was just the foam continued on the end not a rubber end post a pic maybe. Maybe someone else has used the same style filter

Dave

--
    So while I wait for the 9x9 3+6 rims to come for the rear I've started planning for the wheel overhaul. Plan is to get one of the rear rims that I'm putting on the front and the two new rims sandblasted and powdercoated gloss black. Might do all three hubs while I'm at it too. The rim support rings will get this same treatment as well but I'm thinking red would look sweet.

Also been throwing around the idea of adding new rubber too but thinking about going from 25x12x9 to something like 20x11x9 in the rear. The RAZR 4 plys have my eye. I know the ride will be a little rougher but I'm a big boy I can handle it Maybe something skinnier in the front but 25 inches tall. What do yall think?

I guess I'm looking to turn this trike into more of a sport trike than a utility trike I guess.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Small update.

Had a chance to strip her down a bit more tonight and dig a little deeper into the 200es. Took the front and rear utility racks off, sissy bar, both rear fenders and the exhaust. One thing I found interesting was this little galvanized tray screwed onto the bottom of the seat that I hadn't noticed before.

Could it be?!?!?!?!

After taking the screw off in excitement lo and behold there she was! The tool kit! WOOT!!! Dumped out the little pouch and from what my research has told me all seven pieces were there! I am VERY surprised!

Took a closer look at the hubs too because I wanted to see whether or not I could remove them easily or not to send along with to the powdercoater. Seems the best option would be to clean them up by hand and prime and paint them myself.
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Today's update.

Ordered some more parts today. After hours of research and websurfing I settled on the DG exhaust system from Dennis Kirk, got the gasket coming too. I'm still not 100% certain this will be a no nonsense bolt and go though. Not too many people answering the questions I was searching for here. I will document my experience here when they arrive.

Also did some more digging into what I should do for the new rear tires. I decided 20" tires was WAY too much of a jump and way too small. I settled on ordering a set of 22x11x9 Kenda Klaws for the rear and actually found the cheapest price from amazon. They should be here this week as well. Hopefully I get what I'm looking for in the rear when these things finally hit the trail, looking for a little snappier response and a little easier to break the rears loose. Couldn't find anyone else with this type of setup on here, 22x11x9 rears and 25x12x9 front. With the 3+6 rims it should have a pretty mean stance I think.

Next up I got some supplies to start refinishing the hubs and axles to match the soon to be powdercoated rims and support rings. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

Stay tuned!
    '84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

--
    Sorry,just saw this. I would have DEF stuck with 25 's on the rear. You have obviously been bit by the 3 wheel bug hard! So after this,you will find yourself a 200x or 350x undoubtedly. If you beat me to it lol. You will enjoy the heck out of this even though it's a hardtail. Any DR or chiropractor worth anything will tell you. Hardtails and lawnmowers are the worst thing in the world for your back! Including heavy lifting! Anyhow. I personally would paint the rims,PC is fine if you wanna spend the extra $. DG pipe will be LOUD. No having fun putting around the woods keeping the neighbors happy. It will be almost obnoxious now..Toolkit still in a Honda is an almost given. IF they all had a clean oiled air filter and a oil change once a year. They would all outlive a humans lifespan.{ The Honda 200's I mean} But,,they don't lol. Feel free to email me if you wanna stop by here. I have a few bikes I could show you,and maybe some parts too.

--
    Sorry,just saw this. I would have DEF stuck with 25 's on the rear. You have obviously been bit by the 3 wheel bug hard! So after this,you will find yourself a 200x or 350x undoubtedly. If you beat me to it lol. You will enjoy the heck out of this even though it's a hardtail. Any DR or chiropractor worth anything will tell you. Hardtails and lawnmowers are the worst thing in the world for your back! Including heavy lifting! Anyhow. I personally would paint the rims,PC is fine if you wanna spend the extra $. DG pipe will be LOUD. No having fun putting around the woods keeping the neighbors happy. It will be almost obnoxious now..Toolkit still in a Honda is an almost given. IF they all had a clean oiled air filter and a oil change once a year. They would all outlive a humans lifespan.{ The Honda 200's I mean} But,,they don't lol. Feel free to email me if you wanna stop by here. I have a few bikes I could show you,and maybe some parts too.
    I'd love to check them out! I'm already looking for a decent liquid cooled 250x.

'84 200ES
    '85 250SX
    μολὼν λαβέ

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //