//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 85 Yamaha 225dx bolt on mods?

--

Question 85 Yamaha 225dx bolt on mods?

Just bought an 85 and I want something to give better abilities in rough terrain but also some speed. Any ideas?

--
    Not to much..like many of the other utility or sport/utility trikes the after market never really got on board with performance mods.

The trikes that made the race track scene got most of that attention..

Most of what little there was dried up a long time ago.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    My 85 225dr was plenty capable in rough terrain. Just have some good tires on the back. I wouldn't go overboard with super nasty mud tires, but something like the ITP 489 would do good all around. Just my .02.

--
    The only performance bolt on would be the DG RCM exhaust, https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/rcm-st....prd/44582.sku and that will require a larger main jet and carb tuning. Handling you can always get some Durablue wheel spacers combined with the ITP steel wheels. Tires wise my research led me to Super Grip Super Light's and they kick butt, if you want to do some good mud action you can get the GBC Gators. But other than that you will be changing wheel size and bolt patterns. Not very many tire options in 22x11x8, get 6ply for sure!

--
    Take weight off.

Timber wolf 250 engine is a pretty good bolt in mod if you ask me......

Swingarm will work too. Its longer. You'll need a different shock.

Or you could just take weight off......

--
    triz front end will pick the height up a bit, blaster rear hubs will fit your axle nicely and give you a 4x100 bolt pattern so rims will be easier to find. I believe the Yamaha tri z hubs are the same as the blaster rear hubs too. the trike has plenty of power and is great for trail riding and the triz front and blaster wheels will make it look sexier...
    here's mine before I painted the wheels gold to match the front!

--
    I 2nd the 250 timberwolf engine. It works amazing and gives you reverse with the swap. The swingarm gives you 4x110 hubs. If you do a bit of searching through the parts fiche on a parts site like partzilla.com you'll find that the tt225 used the same cylinder and head as the dx which means the intake and carb should bolt to the head but you'll probably have to use a pod filter and make sure it still clears the frame. The tt225 carb is 32mm I believe compared to the dx which is 26 mm?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140524_105924.jpg 
Views:	1255 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	196280
    Here's my dx with the timberwolf engine and swingarm swap before it was completely finished.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC110
    1984 ATC110
    1984 ATC125M
    1985 ATC110 2 of them
    1985 ATC110 The wife's
    1987 ATC125M
    1985 ATC250ES
    1984 DX225 with 250 timberwolf engine and swingarm. Wolf in DX clothing

--
    Some good info here. I have a 225 that I am riding til it blows. Was gonna part it out after but now I am going to looking into the swaps and using my extra z tree's, forks, hubs and rims. Probably make for a somewhat better ride having the thicker forks. These 225's aren't to bad as is. I have some good mud tires and just having a shock at all is soooo much better than my 200 hardtail!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by adamszwheeler View Post
    Some good info here. I have a 225 that I am riding til it blows. Was gonna part it out after but now I am going to looking into the swaps and using my extra z tree's, forks, hubs and rims. Probably make for a somewhat better ride having the thicker forks. These 225's aren't to bad as is. I have some good mud tires and just having a shock at all is soooo much better than my 200 hardtail!!
    swapping the front end was pretty easy and really makes a difference in the ride...and ride height. If you like doing wheelies you can leave the forks in the triples at the stock TRI-Z level if not, leave about 2 inches of fork sticking up through the top triple... lol also, either use a pair of handle bar riser adapters to raise your bars or you have to cut about 1/4" off the top of the steering stem if you want to use your stock gas cap vent tube... the stem sticks up too far through the top triple and is a hair away from hitting the handle bars so theres no way to stick your vent hose into the stem...lol somewhere on this site is a small write up I did explaining the switch out of the front ends and a diagram of a spacer youll need. im thinking if I put another spacer on top I could lower the stem a bit. but... I took the lazy way out and bought one of those cool aluminum breather vent caps you stick in a short hose and put on the gas cap... problem solved.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Trike_crazy View Post
    I 2nd the 250 timberwolf engine. It works amazing and gives you reverse with the swap. The swingarm gives you 4x110 hubs. If you do a bit of searching through the parts fiche on a parts site like partzilla.com you'll find that the tt225 used the same cylinder and head as the dx which means the intake and carb should bolt to the head but you'll probably have to use a pod filter and make sure it still clears the frame. The tt225 carb is 32mm I believe compared to the dx which is 26 mm?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140524_105924.jpg 
Views:	1255 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	196280
    Here's my dx with the timberwolf engine and swingarm swap before it was completely finished.
    I am loving that timber wolf swing arm hack... what did you say it gave you? 11/2 - 2 inches more length?

--
    It ended up being right at 2 1/2 inches I believe. Next thing on my list is rebuilding the front forks or doing the tri-z front end swap like you did czac. I think it would compliment the longer swingarm. When im done about the only part of this thing that still will be dx is the frame and the plastic lol.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC110
    1984 ATC110
    1984 ATC125M
    1985 ATC110 2 of them
    1985 ATC110 The wife's
    1987 ATC125M
    1985 ATC250ES
    1984 DX225 with 250 timberwolf engine and swingarm. Wolf in DX clothing

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Trike_crazy View Post
    It ended up being right at 2 1/2 inches I believe. Next thing on my list is rebuilding the front forks or doing the tri-z front end swap like you did czac. I think it would compliment the longer swingarm. When im done about the only part of this thing that still will be dx is the frame and the plastic lol.
    nice... lol
    Id love to kick the rear out a bit more, make it longer and a little wider. do you feel much of a difference while riding? does it handle any better or worse?

what id really love to do is rake the front end out a little more...lol not so much like a chopper but just to pull the tire away from the trike a little more. but that would probably be a nightmare with getting everything perfectly in line when welding it up! between raking the front end and extending the swing arm it would be like a foot or so longer than stock... lol

King Trikester is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Great info, I can't wait till my 225 blows up

--
    I would love to get any and all info on the Tri Z forks to the 225.

--
    Hi would this Tri Z forks mod work on the YTM 200?? As mine are bent a and its almost impossible to find the 200 forks in the UK.

Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //