//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My 450R build thread..

--

My 450R build thread..

I have wanted to build one of these for a while now and I found a good deal on a frame so I decided now is as good of time as any..

On this build I will be using a 05 CRF 450R Frame, 450X motor with 450R head, VTX 1800 Triple clamps with 450R forks.. 06-07 TRX 450R swingarm and subframe.. This build may be a little slow but I want to make sure it looks good and handle's correctly.. Ive got to admit I am a little intimidated by welding aluminum because I have never done it before, but I have access to a tig welder and youtube so I should be able to figure it out lol..

Here are a few pictures of the parts i have collected so far.. Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	194972

Views:	82 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	194973

Views:	74 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	194974

Had to put the parts together to get an idea of what it will look like!
    ATC 350X-The Oem Piece
    ATC 500R-The Dune Hog
    ATC 70-The Cruzer

--
    What's involved in making the VTX 1800 triples work. Is it bolt on? Nice,smart start you have there!!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    OOOO OOOOhhh! in for updates!!! I like where this is already at lol, looks promising man and if it turns out anything like the well thought out 500 bike you built it will be amazing. keep us posted!
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Thanks Atc007! The VTX clamps will require a little bit of machine work so that the 450R forks will fit, the 450R stem will have to be pressed in and i will have to do a little modification on the front axle and brake.. Nothing to crazy though. The cool thing about these triple clamps is that they are made by Honda and second they have no rake built in so I wont have to worry about having too much rake up front..

Thanks Jason! I am working out a deal on a motor so hopefully the actual work will begin soon!! I will keep this thread as full of details and pictures as possible..
    ATC 350X-The Oem Piece
    ATC 500R-The Dune Hog
    ATC 70-The Cruzer

--
    I share with you this, right now; I have NEVER paid anyone to fix anything except a broken clutch case at 16yo and a couple front alignments. I learn, ask or research how to do it.

I have a brand new Miller TIG and have probably 10 hours or so on the machine. The 1st material I attempted was aluminum (the hardest to weld). I STILL cannot get it perfect and everyone says, keep at it, keep practicing. But, I'd NEVER relocate a shock mount or anything critical just yet and YOUTUBE has gave me plenty of information.

Go ahead and try but you may want to pay for an experienced welder to do the aluminum welding for you. Al is "butter in a microwave"; I find it a very tough metal to master but I will get there.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I have always wanted to learn to weld aluminum so i figure this is a perfect oppertunity.. I am confident with a tig welder, just not with aluminum of coarse.. My plan is to get some scrap aluminum and go to town on that and than if i feel like the welds are good enough than i will go forward with the plan, if not i have a good close friend who is a really good tig welder.. As far as the suspension in the rear i plan on using a YFZ shock which is close to the length of a stock crf shock so i don't plan on moving the rear shock mount at all.. The only aluminum work i plan on doing is some peg mounts, upper subframe mounts and reinforcing the basket..
    ATC 350X-The Oem Piece
    ATC 500R-The Dune Hog
    ATC 70-The Cruzer

--
    Good luck on your build, and the aluminum welding. I have done a few things with aluminum on my Millermatic (with a spool gun) and it is a mofo when you get started. You have to pay REALLY close attention to your puddle, and make damn sure the aluminum is C-L-E-A-N- CLEAN!!! Any oil/residue/grease/coating/anodize/etc will screw up that weld quick. Also, I have found that aluminum doesn't like it when you linger on a weld. You'll be using TIG so I'm curious to see your results.

--
    Thanks 6speedthumper!! I really appreciate the advise, anything will help! And I will definitely clean the metal and pay close attention to whats going on..
    ATC 350X-The Oem Piece
    ATC 500R-The Dune Hog
    ATC 70-The Cruzer

--
    Yes, you need 1 green wheel to sharpen the Tungsten and I have 2 wire brushes that ONLY touch aluminum. Apparently, contamination is the biggest enemy. I can almost make a flat weld like a roll of coins rolled out and that took 2 months,

Added - From what I have read, AL likes a ball on the end of the Tungsten and youtube shows you how to do that.......

Then I tried to make an intake I am TERRIBLE at that type of pairing. I'll get there!!
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 06-06-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added more text
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Any progress on this? Looking forward to see how it turns out.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    Perfection takes time........lol..
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //