//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for a 250SX

--
    I just put a set of 22x11x10 Swamp Foxes on our 85 250sx. I wanted a little more selection for tires so we upgraded the wheels to a 10". I really like the way they perform. Good tire for just about any terrain. A little washy on hard pack terrain, but not terrible. Definitely better than the stock tires we had before. Wheels are AMS .190 aluminum 10x8 3+5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0531.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	195179

Name:	250sx complete 2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	195180

Name:	IMAG0534.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	195181
    Last edited by Motorgidd; 06-09-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added content

--
    Anyone have pictures of there sx with mud light tires?
    Current Trikes
    2 1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Big Red
    2 1983 YTM 200k's. 1 for parts.
    KLT 250 Prairie
    1982 Honda 185 - Waiting to be saved
    1985 125m Parts Machine

Still on the hunt for a 1986 350x and 250r.

--
    Ya baby!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0474 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	195317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0472 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	195316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0470 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	195315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0469 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	195314  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    Ya baby!!!!

Nice Trike!!!

GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Okay, I've looked at mudlites which I have on my fourwheeler, and bear claws. I'm pretty much sold on the bear claws, they just look nasty and I don't think it is a coincidence that you all seem to own a set. Thanks for all the help guys, once I get my mechanical issues worked out the next purchase will be tires.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorgidd View Post
    I just put a set of 22x11x10 Swamp Foxes on our 85 250sx. I wanted a little more selection for tires so we upgraded the wheels to a 10". I really like the way they perform. Good tire for just about any terrain. A little washy on hard pack terrain, but not terrible. Definitely better than the stock tires we had before. Wheels are AMS .190 aluminum 10x8 3+5.

Name:	IMAG0531.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	195179

Name:	250sx complete 2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	195180

Name:	IMAG0534.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	195181

Good lookin' set-up!!!

If you don't mind me asking... what is your front tire/wheel combo? Is that an aluminum wheel? What is the diameter and offset? I like more of the 200X front end look like your rig has.

--
    I have always liked the look of mudlites on three wheelers.
    1985 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
    Good lookin' set-up!!!

If you don't mind me asking... what is your front tire/wheel combo? Is that an aluminum wheel? What is the diameter and offset? I like more of the 200X front end look like your rig has.

Thanks Marksman.

I am using an 85 200x complete front end (hub, aluminum wheel, forks and triples). Tire is a 23.5x8x11 Pro Vector. Stock 83-85 200x front wheel if I remember right is 6" wide by 11" dia. with a 3+3 offset and a 4/190 bolt pattern. (Correct me if I’m wrong guys)

--
    Thanks Marksman.

I am using an 85 200x complete front end (hub, aluminum wheel, forks and triples). Tire is a 23.5x8x11 Pro Vector. Stock 83-85 200x front wheel if I remember right is 6" wide by 11" dia. with a 3+3 offset and a 4/190 bolt pattern. (Correct me if I’m wrong guys)

Okay, I could not tell for certain if that was a stock 250SX front-end or a 200X. Thanks for the info!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspcs View Post
    I'm agreeing with every word so far..but as a guy who makes it his hobby to experiment with new tire/rim setups hear this!!

New front plan for you..

Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0
    Tire: Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10

It's inexpensive, a direct bolt on without the need to shim, and will improve the handling incredibly!!

Oh yeah, it looks pretty bad aZZ also without the need to do a frontend swap like some of the guys have done!!

Attachment 195143Attachment 195144

Rocky Mountain ATV is my favourite tire supplier online(or others) and should be able to fix you up..the front tire and rim will run around $100 from most vendors.

One more thing..mount the front tire as a 'right side' to get the directional tread pointed in the right direction. But truth is it doesn't matter..I've got it backward on my 250ES and it's all the same!!

Good luck..

Hey Doug, I love your combo, and I'm going with Bear Claws on all 3 corners. However, I am thinking about going with aluminum wheels.... what do you think about the following wheel for the front (you'll have to click the option of "front" to get the correct size to come up):

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...0-Wheel?v=1919

The spacing is correct. Is this rim strong enough to use on the front of a trike? I have the same brand and thickness of rim on the rear of my '85 SX, and am looking to go with this on the front of my '86 SX. I plan to go with the OE rim and tire combo for the rear.

The silver steel rims would give much more of a 250SX OE look, while the aluminum option would make it look a little more like a 200X. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Marksman; 06-18-2014 at 12:28 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
    Hey Doug, I love your combo, and I'm going with Bear Claws on all 3 corners. However, I am thinking about going with aluminum wheels.... what do you think about the following wheel for the front (you'll have to click the option of "front" to get the correct size to come up):

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...0-Wheel?v=1919

The spacing is correct. Is this rim strong enough to use on the front of a trike? I have the same brand and thickness of rim on the rear of my '85 SX, and am looking to go with this on the front of my '86 SX. I plan to go with the OE rim and tire combo for the rear.

The silver steel rims would give much more of a 250SX OE look, while the aluminum option would make it look a little more like a 200X. What are your thoughts?
    Marksman,

I can’t speak for Doug but that wheel is plenty strong for the 250sx. I noticed the offset on Rocky Mountain is reversed from what Doug posted though.

Doug’s post: "Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2+3"

Rocky Mountain: 4/110 Douglas Wheel 10x5 3+2

The first number "2" in the offset "2+3" is the inside of the wheel (if there is such a thing with a front). The second number "3" is the outside of the wheel also called the valve stem side. You could just flip the wheel around… But If I remember right the valve stem is on the right hand side of the trike when mounted. If you flip the wheel to get the correct offset the valve stem will be on the left side… My concern would be the valve stem might hit the brake drum and it might be hard to put air in with it mounted. I would look for a wheel with a 2+3 offset like Dougspcs said.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/do...d%20Offset.pdf
    Last edited by Motorgidd; 06-20-2014 at 02:03 PM.

King Trikester is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Marksman,

I can’t speak for Doug but that wheel is plenty strong for the 250sx. I noticed the offset on Rocky Mountain is reversed from what Doug posted though.

The first number "2" in the offset "2+3" is the inside of the wheel (if there is such a thing with a front). The second number "3" is the outside of the wheel also called the valve stem side. You could just flip the wheel around… But If I remember right the valve stem is on the right hand side of the trike when mounted. If you flip the wheel to get the correct offset the valve stem will be on the left side… My concern would be the valve stem might hit the brake drum and it might be hard to put air in with it mounted. I would look for a wheel with a 2+3 offset like Dougspcs said.

I have that exact setup on my sx, 3+2 offset, (this exact rim http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...0-Wheel?v=1919) it works fine just a bit of a tight fit for the air chuck. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own

--
    Marksman,

Great advice... and Doug gave me the same advice in a PM. I decided to go with the exact set-up that Doug had used with Bear Claws all around, with ITP steelies. Just got the front mounted up today and was pleased to find that the front axle came out without too much trouble. I would like to have the look of Aluminum rims, but didn't want the hassle of the valve stem being behind the brake drum. I never could find an aluminum rim with the 2+3 offset, only the 3+2.

Now on to my next question... with the now more narrow front wheel/tire combo, I'm looking to narrow up that front fender a little. Will a 200X front fender bolt right up? What about a 250R or 350X? Are they all universal as far as mounting holes? Which would look best on that 5" rim with the 23x7-10 Bear Claw on an SX? I do want to stick with the red-colored fender.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by King Trikester View Post
    I have that exact setup on my sx, 3+2 offset, (this exact rim http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...0-Wheel?v=1919) it works fine just a bit of a tight fit for the air chuck. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own

If you get a minute... could you post a pic. of your SX with that set-up?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by King Trikester View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the setup is the 7" tire is a bit to narrow and doesn't float as much as I would like it to in the mud and snow, personally I will buy and 8" wide tire next time but each to his own
    I have played around with this format on both my ES and my SX and while it may not suit some rider's preference, I love it. I'll sacrifice a bit of 'float' for the extra bite the slimmer tire offers.

I'm a pretty aggressive rider in mixed rough terrain and like the confidence of the tighter tracking at higher speeds.

The formula I presented was just that..a formula to ensure a good mechanical fit. Anyone using it please understand that this is experimental with tires/rims that didn't exist 30 years ago and not specifically for this application.

I've stated that using this formula there will be no tires to fit the rim that will be 'wrong' to choose. But what is right for you may be a matter of preference..

I pass on my findings in hopes that others will enjoy the changes as I have. However, I can't accept any responsibility if the outcome is not to your liking!! I just need to go on the record as saying that.
    Last edited by dougspcs; 06-23-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //