//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for a 250SX

Dave Little is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Btdt

The narrow front wheel with bear claw tire has some bad habits those choosing to adopt will find out. Although the tighter tracking at higher speed is nice, like most things... it's a trade-off. It likes to bite in technical terrain and try to turn the bars to full lock if you don't have a serious grip and are expecting it. What you are loosing in the deal is forgiveness on the front end. The OE size tire is just as much a part of the suspension as the forks. I've had the bear claw front and 5" wide wheel and did not like it at all. What it is good for is flat, sandy or rail-trail type riding. Not appropriate for really anything else. Could the handling be different with a different tread pattern? I suppose but since dumping the narrow front I've gone back to the original 8" Ohtsu for the time being which will soon be replaced with a 9x8 alum wheel up front with something wide for rubber.

So for all those that are being told the narrow tire is the way to go and it looks cool, and don't really question it further....just be aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I`ll show you mine if you show me yours......i like the little clicks around here you`re so cute !! You guys need a bag ......for your tools ?

--
    I guess I'll have to agree with Dave on some of his points..if you like your trike with the classic marshmallow ride characteristics don't do it! Don't think I'm disrespecting his opinion, he does have that point correct. A 250R front suspension it is not!!

Personally, I take mine anywhere and love extra response to body input. I throw my weight around a lot on the machine and expect the trike to go where I point it. For that it's greats..

I've found it equally happy on the rocky/muddy terrain as the open trails. It is after all a sport utility machine after all!

The trade off is some moderate ache after a solid days ride!

To me, way worth it!!
    Last edited by dougspcs; 06-24-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    How about my front fender question from earlier? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
    How about my front fender question from earlier? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    Yeah, I missed that..

I just eyeballed my 350x fender..it's a definite no go!! Bolt holes on the SX fender are way farther out than the 350x.

Couldn't say about the others I couldn't say. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspcs View Post
    Yeah, I missed that..

I just eyeballed my 350x fender..it's a definite no go!! Bolt holes on the SX fender are way farther out than the 350x.

Couldn't say about the others I couldn't say. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.

I've been told that the 200X front fender will bolt right up, but I just wanted to confirm before ordering one.

--
    like this for the front

--
    I had a set of the Front Max's on the front of a quad I owned once. They held up good.

Don't know about them on a trike... but would likely do well. Just don't put them on the back!
    Last edited by Marksman; 07-08-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Current Trikes:

'86 350X (x2)
    '86 200X (x2)
    '86 250SX
    '85 250SX
    '85 250SX / 200X Hybrid
    '87 250ES
    '85 250ES
    '83 ATC 70

Current Quads:
    '16 Polaris Outlaw 110
    '14 Polaris Ranger XP 900
    '13 Polaris Sportsman XP 850
    '07 Honda Recon ES
    '05 Yamaha Raptor 80

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Little View Post
    The narrow front wheel with bear claw tire has some bad habits those choosing to adopt will find out. Although the tighter tracking at higher speed is nice, like most things... it's a trade-off. It likes to bite in technical terrain and try to turn the bars to full lock if you don't have a serious grip and are expecting it. What you are loosing in the deal is forgiveness on the front end. The OE size tire is just as much a part of the suspension as the forks. I've had the bear claw front and 5" wide wheel and did not like it at all. What it is good for is flat, sandy or rail-trail type riding. Not appropriate for really anything else. Could the handling be different with a different tread pattern? I suppose but since dumping the narrow front I've gone back to the original 8" Ohtsu for the time being which will soon be replaced with a 9x8 alum wheel up front with something wide for rubber.

So for all those that are being told the narrow tire is the way to go and it looks cool, and don't really question it further....just be aware.
    I also see your point Dave, but I think it does come down to tire choice. Because of the aggressiveness of the Bear claw, I decided when I went with the more narrow tire and rim on my newest SX to go with a more stock looking tread pattern tire on the front. I really notice the difference in the lighter weight of the front end as compared to stock, as well as the quicker steering response.
    To each his own for sure, but like I said I think tire choice is key.

King Trikester is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
    If you get a minute... could you post a pic. of your SX with that set-up?
    She's a bit dirty haven't had a chance to wash her but here ya go. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	196505Click image for larger version. 

Views:	126 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	196508[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Views:	149 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	196506Click image for larger version. 

Views:	117 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	196507

It handles a lot better like this and As you can see I have no issues pumping the tire up, and I love the look of it when it's all cleaned up. This is the 3+2 offset aluminum rim

--
    Quote Originally Posted by King Trikester View Post
    She's a bit dirty haven't had a chance to wash her but here ya go. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	158 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	196505Click image for larger version. 

Views:	126 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	196508[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Views:	149 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	196506Click image for larger version. 

Views:	117 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	196507

It handles a lot better like this and As you can see I have no issues pumping the tire up, and I love the look of it when it's all cleaned up. This is the 3+2 offset aluminum rim

Thanks for the pics.
    Current Trikes:

'86 350X (x2)
    '86 200X (x2)
    '86 250SX
    '85 250SX
    '85 250SX / 200X Hybrid
    '87 250ES
    '85 250ES
    '83 ATC 70

Current Quads:
    '16 Polaris Outlaw 110
    '14 Polaris Ranger XP 900
    '13 Polaris Sportsman XP 850
    '07 Honda Recon ES
    '05 Yamaha Raptor 80

King Trikester is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I like the look of it, and it does handle really good but for my style of ridding it's not for me, I need a wider tire with more flotation. As said previously it's all about experimentation and rider preference, what's good for some isn't good for all, I play in lots of mud and deep water, I found out the hard way that the front end does not float in water without me on it. I'm used to the Oem style tire where if I get in trouble (to deep of water) I could just bail off and the machine would float. The other day I did exactly that but when I bailed off the front end sank and I sucked in water. Luckily I killed the ignition and all I had to to was pull the plug, turn it over to blast all water out of the cylinder, a quick flush and oil change and ten minutes later I was ridding again, true honda reliability.

I'm going to get matching rims and tires for the back. 23/10/10 on the rear, and then try a 23/8/10 on the front, I will report back with handling and flotation changes.

GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I really like the Bearclaw look on the front, but I'm not convinced yet that I would want to switch away from the reliability of stock tires up front yet.

--
    I'm not going to recommend any particular brand of tire, just that i would recomend a more square holeshot style tire like DasUberKraut has in his picture. I had a Yamaha with the origional tires that I would consider round and skinny and switched to a pair of spider tracks that were wide and square.
    Then Bam!!! I had a while new machine! The stability was dramatically increased. I know it sounds like bs but with those new mud terrain style tires I went riding with 4 guys on quads and two of them were big 4x4 utilities and I was the only one who could make it up 2 of the muddy hills. I was glad I ditched the stock pattern knobbies.

--
    i like that different people can all disagree on the tire choices. I have an SX, and i experimented with tires front and rear. I got the bearclaws for the rear and didnt like them at all. in my opinion, theyre WAY to heavy, they dont slide, you lose a great deal of rear suspension, and they rub the muffler. they will get you through mud very well, but are not great in the snow (weight). they leave a little to be desired in the rocks while climbing. I went back to stock in the rear. pretty soon i'll be trying the duro knobbies as they are as close to oem that is availible. thats my two cents on the rear. and as you can see, i disagree with doug. As for the front, i say go narrow!! i got the correct offset rim as doug reccommended and i like it alot. you lose a bit in suspension, but not bad. also, as stunt man dave stated, it can be a bit sharp in the rocks, but its very controlable. he had a BAD experience and i think it left him a bit biased. i went with the bear claw up front, but, if i had to do it again i'd get the holeshot of frontmax pattern. a little more rubber on the deck IMO. plus, the super aggressive pattern up front is really not helping much. whatever you go with, post how you like it. let us know.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    if its a 22x11-8, the gator is best for mud use, suggest the mud light for a good all around use and for a knobby type i recommend the kenda scorpions. has a square profile compared to the oem knobby tires. on my atc110 i have a 22x11-8 bushwhacker front tire and have 2 sets of rear tires, a pair of 20x11-8 hole shots on 8x8 3/100 douglass aluminum wheels as well as 22x12-10 spider trac on custom t-9 10x10 wheels with 4 bolt hubs. all i have ti do is take the whole hub off and put the other hub on to switch tires. no need to unbolt tires

and i know how hated the trail pro is on here, but that bushwhacker (trail pro clone) front is as tough as they come. its rated as a 4-ply tire but is as heavy as heck and built like a 6 ply tire. wears like steel and isn't overly aggressive. its the toughest tire i could find that could be used as a front. all other 4-ply or 6-ply rated tires were for rear use only and wouldn't steer well if used as a front.

i wish the kenda front max was a 4-ply. had one and it performed great but punctured easily. wore pretty fast too. the best performing 22x11-8 tire i ever used up front.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //