//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Best Tires for a 250SX

  1. #1
    GSUwhiskers's Avatar
    GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    --
    168

    Best Tires for a 250SX

    My rear tires are dry rotted, and the tread on all three tires looks rough. I was wondering what you guys recommend as far as tire brand. Also do ya'll just run stock tire sizes, or go wider/slimmer etc..
    Also where do ya'll usually buy your tires from? Online?

  2. #2
    GSUwhiskers's Avatar
    GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    --
    168
    I forgot to mention I'm trying to make this ride a little mudding machine, not just the average cruiser.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    --
    1,189
    Kenda Bear Claws.

    86 Honda ATC 200X Frankentrike (Project)
    80 Honda CB650C Conversion (Project)

    3WW Feeback Thread For DasUberKraut

    Retired Machines - 02 Honda TRX 300EX, 85 Honda ATC 250SX, 84 Honda ATC 200X Astro Kit, 85 Honda ATC 70, 85 Honda ATC 200 Auto-X, 83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red, 84 Honda ATC 125M (X2), 82 Honda ATC200, 81 Honda ATC 185S, 81 Honda XR250R

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    --
    2,750
    For a muddin machine, I agree with DasUberKraut. Bear Claws rock!!!! Option B would be Mud Lites.

  5. #5
    GSUwhiskers's Avatar
    GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    --
    168
    Okay great, my second question is I don't see bear claws made in the stock 22x11x8, so will 22x12x8 fit the stock rims on this wheeler?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    --
    2,750
    yes but not for the front. Stick to a knobby style tire for the front if you're buying a front.

  7. #7
    Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    St. Louis
    --
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    yes but not for the front. Stick to a knobby style tire for the front if you're buying a front.
    I just want to add that all the knobbies are not the same . The size listing will be the same , but some are to wide and they rub when they flex while riding .
    I bought a knobby from Flyingw thats perfect . I can get the make if needed .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    --
    3,415
    I'm agreeing with every word so far..but as a guy who makes it his hobby to experiment with new tire/rim setups hear this!!

    New front plan for you..

    Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0
    Tire: Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10

    It's inexpensive, a direct bolt on without the need to shim, and will improve the handling incredibly!!

    Oh yeah, it looks pretty bad aZZ also without the need to do a frontend swap like some of the guys have done!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full trike.jpg 
Views:	3542 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	195143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontr.jpg 
Views:	1366 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	195144

    Rocky Mountain ATV is my favourite tire supplier online(or others) and should be able to fix you up..the front tire and rim will run around $100 from most vendors.

    One more thing..mount the front tire as a 'right side' to get the directional tread pointed in the right direction. But truth is it doesn't matter..I've got it backward on my 250ES and it's all the same!!

    Good luck..
    Last edited by dougspcs; 06-08-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    --
    1,189
    Hey Doug... Doug here. Ha ha!

    That Claw on the front is sexy! I was almost thinking Kenda Front Max. I have that style on my Auto-X. I may end up with a 3rd Claw now. Have you experimented with a Front Max style at all? Just curious if it makes a difference from a smaller 200 cc to the 250's with almost 100 lbs more dry weight.
    86 Honda ATC 200X Frankentrike (Project)
    80 Honda CB650C Conversion (Project)

    3WW Feeback Thread For DasUberKraut

    Retired Machines - 02 Honda TRX 300EX, 85 Honda ATC 250SX, 84 Honda ATC 200X Astro Kit, 85 Honda ATC 70, 85 Honda ATC 200 Auto-X, 83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red, 84 Honda ATC 125M (X2), 82 Honda ATC200, 81 Honda ATC 185S, 81 Honda XR250R

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    --
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by DasUberKraut View Post
    Hey Doug... Doug here. Ha ha!

    That Claw on the front is sexy! I was almost thinking Kenda Front Max. I have that style on my Auto-X. I may end up with a 3rd Claw now. Have you experimented with a Front Max style at all? Just curious if it makes a difference from a smaller 200 cc to the 250's with almost 100 lbs more dry weight.
    Yeah Doug, I have a Kenda Front Max on my 350X and it's great on the trails/sand/fields..but no never on a smaller machine. Don't know what to tell you about that!!

    But then I like the mud like our friend Mr Whiskers here.

    The Bear Claw (or Mud Lite) rules that turf!!

    Doug
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

  11. #11
    GSUwhiskers's Avatar
    GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    --
    168
    Awesome guys I appreciate all of the advice. Its nice being able to ask folks who have a ton of experience in the field already. When I have the money I'll replace all three tires but I'm gonna replace the back two for sure soon. Change of subject but do y'all have headlights and taillights on your rides? Mine is missing both and the mount for both is gone. I considered putting one of those led bars on the front because they are ridiculously bright. But Im not sure how I could mount it or the taillight?

  12. #12
    GSUwhiskers's Avatar
    GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    --
    168
    IAlso, is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 250SX? And are there parts that fit the 250 and other three wheelers? Or do I have to get 250 specific parts?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    --
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspcs View Post
    I'm agreeing with every word so far..but as a guy who makes it his hobby to experiment with new tire/rim setups hear this!!

    New front plan for you..

    Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0
    Tire: Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10

    It's inexpensive, a direct bolt on without the need to shim, and will improve the handling incredibly!!

    Oh yeah, it looks pretty bad aZZ also without the need to do a frontend swap like some of the guys have done!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full trike.jpg 
Views:	3542 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	195143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontr.jpg 
Views:	1366 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	195144

    Rocky Mountain ATV is my favourite tire supplier online(or others) and should be able to fix you up..the front tire and rim will run around $100 from most vendors.

    One more thing..mount the front tire as a 'right side' to get the directional tread pointed in the right direction. But truth is it doesn't matter..I've got it backward on my 250ES and it's all the same!!

    Good luck..

    Do you know if that specific rim (or one with similar specs) is available in aluminum at Rocky Mountain ATV? I looked for one for the front of my SX in the past and couldn't find one that seemed to have the right spacing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    --
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
    Do you know if that specific rim (or one with similar specs) is available in aluminum at Rocky Mountain ATV? I looked for one for the front of my SX in the past and couldn't find one that seemed to have the right spacing.
    Don't know..never looked. You'll have to do a search..
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    --
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by GSUwhiskers View Post
    IAlso, is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 250SX? And are there parts that fit the 250 and other three wheelers? Or do I have to get 250 specific parts?
    Not sure what to tell you about the custom light thing..maybe someone else can.

    But the aftermarket exhaust can be a hassle..here is what I did.

    Buy this..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimpex-Exhau...a021ba&vxp=mtr

    Yes I know it says it's for the 250ES, but the length and curve of the pipe is the same..only difference is the location of the support bracket in the middle of the pipe.

    You'll just have to take a grinder and cut the bracket off the frame of your SX and it will bolt straight up.

    I put one on my 85 SX three years ago and it's still good!!
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //