//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: question 4 carb gurus

350xorbust is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

question 4 carb gurus

On my 85 350x ,very suddenly, i was unable to start it. I kik and kik and no go. If i have the choke on...hot or cold...i get one fire and thats it. I have completely dissmantled the carb...blew it out and cleaned it well and found nothing amiss. If i bump start it it fires up imediately with no missung or hesitation.
    After i have tried to kik it and then pull the plug...its dry. All filters are clean and the feul bowl is full but i cant get any feul to the cyl.as far as i can tell once it starts it runs fine....i just cant start it by kiking.....anyone?

--
    The startup jet is plugged. That's the one that's pressed in. I'll get back to you in a bit.

--
    Iv never heard of it called that coukf u show it to me with a pic so i know which one to clean? Thanx

--
    This is the startup jet. You will need a #4 sheet metal screw. Turn the screw in about 1 full turn or more. Don't worry about damaging the jet. The metering hole is far below where the screw will reach. Now it has to be pried out. See the link. Page 1, post #3 on how to do it. This link is a tutorial on rebuilding the ES/SX and 350X carbs. They are all of the same series so you may use this to get your carb back in working order.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ebuild-Tutoral
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1791.JPG  

--
    Thanx fly...i will be gettin on that first thing tomorrow.....finally pointed in the right direction.....thank god too ...i aint 18 anymore...lol

--
    Once you get the startup jet out, there is a nozzle down in the hole. Don't try to take it out. You will damage it. Shoot carb cleaner though all holes. Be sure to do the synchronization adjustment as outlined in the tutorial. Its important. Every hole in that carb should blow through to somewhere else except for the one next to the startup jet on the end. That one is not drilled through.

--
    Well i read your tutorial end to end. I did the cold start fix, blew out the carb with both carb cleaner and air as well as chased as many holes as i could with mechanics wire...just to be %100 sure nothing is plugged and i can still kik till i colapse with exhaustion...and nothing. Bump start it hot or cold and away it goes...no problem. Im not wealthy but i am seriously thinking of a new carb. A replacment 400ex carb sells for $400 here in northern ontario....now u know why im so desperate for this to be resolved. Any other thoughts...

--
    Send me your carb. I have a mockup I use to test the carbs I rebuild. I also have a bunch of 350X carb carcasses. I'll get to the bottom of it.

--
    Try turning the fuel mix screw out a half to a full turn and see if that helps. No offense but there are some assumptions going on here. For starters, just because the thread is titled as a carb issue, we have not even asked if or why he is sure of that. Weak spark can make it hard to kick start as well.
    Last edited by DohcBikes; 07-04-2014 at 10:10 PM.

--
    I thoughr about spark...but if i remove the tank and pour feul directly down the cylinder the engine will fire up with the throttle wide open,for a few secobds but will not continue. And yet a bump start in 2nd gear will fire it right up. I am steered more and more to that thought everytime i tear that darn carb apart.also if i try ti kik start it like i said before if there was no or poor spark the plug would be wet especially if i continued to use the choke but every time the plug comes out dry. Thats why i steered away from the weak spark theory. But i was wrong once back in the 80,s...lol
    Last edited by 350xorbust; 07-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.

--
    As far as sending the carb to you fly...im assuming your in the states...there goes another 2 to 3 weeks. No ofence to your abilities for sure but the darn border is hit and miss at best....usually miss..lol. if you have a rebuilt complete carb u want to sell me...please lmk

--
    Uhhh i forgot to ask but is poor spark for start up a coil or stator issue? The reason i ask is because the coil has been in use for 27 years or so , but the engine and stator are new....nos take out crate engine. I know thats no garentee but personally i would point to coil. Yet whwn its hot it runs fine and i was always under the impression that that is when they fail???

--
    NOS 86 engine? In an 85? The regs are different, and I believe the cdi is different, although I could be wrong about that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350xorbust View Post
    I thoughr about spark...but if i remove the tank and pour feul directly down the cylinder the engine will fire up with the throttle wide open,for a few secobds but will not continue. And yet a bump start in 2nd gear will fire it right up. I am steered more and more to that thought everytime i tear that darn carb apart.also if i try ti kik start it like i said before if there was no or poor spark the plug would be wet especially if i continued to use the choke but every time the plug comes out dry. Thats why i steered away from the weak spark theory. But i was wrong once back in the 80,s...lol
    So have you tried adjusting the idle mix screw yet? I mean, it does sound like like the pilot circuit is not getting enough fuel just as the carb master says, but maybe you have the idle mix wrong. It has definitely happened to me before, once started the bike runs good, but is a bltch to kick start. Lean pilot size can also be the cause. How bout we fish around and try some tuning before pointing any certain direction....

--
    Ya...iv tried it in every 1/4 turn incriment from a 1/4 turn out to 2 turns out. Idles best at 1 turn out....still cant start the damn thing....xuse the french

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //