//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carb/Float? Troubles

--

Carb/Float? Troubles

Ok guys, I'll try to make this one short and sweet. Helping a buddy fix up a 125 Tri Moto. I had it running, it would start right up and run poorly, and eventually die (acted like it was flooding itself out). Eventually it would not restart even after resetting the carb mixture to factory. I pulled, disassembled, and cleaned the carb as well as tinkered with the float (was lost on the float adjustment even with the manual). Put it back together and she won't burp, but now blows oil/fuel out the exhaust with each pull, which is awesome. It has excellent spark. Any thoughts? I hate this little POS Why I stick to four stroke Hondas..
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Find the float height (likely 20 to 22mm), but don't take my word for it. Watch a "how to" video on youtube and set it. Set the needle clip in the middle slot and open the air screw 1-1/2 turns. Pull the plug and spin the motor, its full of fuel, be ready for it to spray out of the head. Put a dry plug in and try starting it. Tune from there.

--
    Yep the float height is 21 on this one which I think i managed already with the help of a video and the mixture is tuned to spec as well. Also when I shut the fuel off the mix stops shooting out the pipe. Are there any other explanations as to why it is coming out the pipe? In any case I will pull the plug and drain it to dry it out s bit. Thank you and additional ideas are more then welcome!
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    I'm now getting it to fire over for a few seconds only if I tip it to the right but it dies off and throttle does nothing. Any help 2 stroke guys??
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Are you sure your float isn't leaking? You mentioned turning on the petcock and having fuel flow out the pipe. If you mean the stinger end of the pipe that's a whole lot of fuel. Did any fuel shoot out when the plug was removed and you pulled the cord?

--
    I pulled the carb yet again and the float must not of been closing initially when the fuel was leaking out. That part is fixed. And surprisingly, no, nothing shot out of the cylinder with the plug removed. I've tried putting the float all over the place and richening/leaning the mixture and it is not helping, it will do its thing when its tipped to the right regardless. and throttle seems irrelevant when it is running for those few seconds before tapering off. When I drop the carb bowl it is about 2/3 or so full. Some oil will still drip/spray outof the pipe but not nearly as much.
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Have you made sure the reeds aren't stuck? Is your fuel tank at least 1/4 full and the line flows without tipping the trick? That side tipping thing makes no sense How's the compression?

--
    I'm not sure how to check the reeds on this engine. I do know there is good flow to the carb from the petcock. Still need to check the compression but when I had it running decent the first time and was able to ride it for that brief moment it had a lot of pep, more than I would of guessed from even a healthy 125. So at this point what I know is that fuel is getting to to the carb but what is responsible for taking it the rest of the way on these little 2 strokes?
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Basically the reeds are located in front of the carb. They rest on a triangular block and when the engine is off they sort of sit closed, but not always. When the piston goes up and creates vacuum they open and fuel and air rush in. When the piston comes down the pressure seals them up. If they are stuck, cracked, or won't close properly when under pressure, or open when under negative pressure the engine wont run. It would be the equivalent of a bent valve on a 4 stroke, but much easier to fix.

--
    When you get a moment, reed this(see what I did there?)
    http://s.com/?page_id=222
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

--
    Thanks for the help guys I will look into it and check back.
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    I messed with it a bit and really can't tell for sure if the reeds are closing properly, however there does seem to be vaccum when I cover the hole. On a side the float valve in this carb has no valve spring. I think all carbs I have worked on previously have had a spring opposite the tip and I am 99% sure I lost nothing during disassembly.
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Yes it does have a spring. It is internal and sits under that tiny round pin. It needs to move and it needs to be extended when you measure the float height. If it is stuck in there at the compressed height you may have found your problem.

--
    Awesome I figured it out right before looking at your reply! That spring is compressed and I was able to get it running before finding that, by tipping it on its side with the gas turned off. After pulling it over and over and always dying it finally caught its breathe and blew all sorts of gas and oil out for about 15 minutes, with the gas still off, until it cleaned itself out. Looks like Ill be good to go as soon as I reset the float with the spring out. Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it!
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    I love a good mystery and I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Looks like we had both

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //