//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carb/Float? Troubles

--
    Yeah its running and idling and accelerating like a top but on a quick sidenote, any ideas on why it likes to jump and stall when put into first. Clutch adjustment didn't seem to do a lot.
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    I believe it has two clutches. The adjustment is on the secondary clutch and all that does is determine how much the clutch pack opens when you move the shift lever up. It's basically a clutch cable adjustment without the cable.

The primary clutch is where your problem likely is. Assuming everything else is copasetic in the assembly your problem is that it is already engaged before you are engaging the transmission. That clutch activates with RPM, so all bla, bla, bla aside your idle speed is too high.

Get the RPM as low as possible and then you should be able to shift it at idle without any big clicks, bangs or stalling and it should not move until you give it gas.

--
    Alright there is something loose inside the clutch cover that rattles with the idle of the machine. It is acting like the clutch never disengages (slowing down the machine slows down the idle and makes it want to die). It is like popping the clutch on a manual transmission. Whatcha got for me El?
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    You ain't gonna like it...

If the primary clutch is not disengaging it means that (if you're lucky) the springs that provide resistance to the shoes opening up are broken or sacked out and it is taking next to no RPM to engage them. If you are unlucky someone went into there and figured out how to make it a solid lump with a welder.

Now keep in mind I have never been inside a 175, but I do know that those clutches wear out and they are expensive to fix, so it would not surprise me if some butcher has been in there and did whatever it took to get it rolling. Then again I could be dead wrong and hope I am.

You're going to need to open it up to see what's going on in there, there is no other way. Based on what you might find and what that trike is worth I wouldn't even buy a gasket set until you know what's in there. Please post pics and make sure there aren't any left-hand threads in there before you get out the impact driver.

--
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply sir. I assume the 125 and 175 clutches are similar if not the same. How daunting of a task is it to open it up and check the springs?
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Hang on a second. I took a look at the parts fiche http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...0a098d4/clutch and I was wrong, it looks like you have only the one clutch and it works like a slipper clutch. I can't seem to find the adjustment on it. I see an adjustment on the shifter here http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...0a098d4/clutch but I can't see how it would affect the clutch like it does on a 200/225. Weird that they went to 2 clutches after this style, slippers are really popular nowadays.

So back to your issue. I still think you need to open it up, but I don't know what you might find. Before you open it tell me this; If the trike is in gear and you pull the starter rope does the trike move forward?

Add: My guess would be that the trike moves when you pull the cord in gear that part #17 and all part #6's are where the problem is.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-25-2014 at 12:50 AM.

--
    When you pull it in gear the trike does not actually move but you can tell that there is added stress on the engine (lower idle, trying to move) but it will start without walking. When you give it slight throttle in gear, this is where that rattling takes place that I mentioned earlier. I would describe it almost like it is functioning properly in there and everything is just loose or coming apart. Also the adjustment is located inside a small round cover on the right side of the engine. Sorry if I'm giving you a headache with all this I know it gave me one. Thanks again for sticking with me!
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Not sure what to tell you at this point. If it was mine I'd pull the clutch apart, change the balls and the disc that holds them. It looks like Yamaha still sells both, that tells you something right there.

At a pre determined RPM that clutch should be free wheeling. If its dragging at low RPM something is wrong. As we discussed before I am 99% sure that adjuster only relates to how much the shift lever separates the clutch pack when you move it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //