//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A New Danger on the Trails

--

A New Danger on the Trails

They started showing up on the double track trails here about a year ago. “They” are Polaris Racers and CanAm Commanders and I’m sure some Chinese wannabees. You’d see one or two over the weekend back then. Today I saw no less than 20.

I know we all have to share the road, but these things take up more than what is available here most of the time. I’m used to coming around a corner on a narrow trail and seeing 3 ton trucks, quads, bikes, VW buggies and even converted school buses, but of all the aforementioned the only ones that travel over 20mph into corners are the bikes and quads and they don’t take up the whole road. 60 feet of distance between me and a 3 ton truck gives both of us enough time to stop, but a Racer doing 40mph sideways is another story.

Many of the Commanders I saw today were literally flying over terrain that I don’t think I could keep up to them on with my bike and there was a trail of beer cans behind many of them.

Last time out one almost forced my buddy off the side of a mountain and after the near miss almost tipped in front of me. The guy was literally on his right front wheel with the rear left 3 feet in the air 30’ feet in front of me. It was a bowel cleansing moment for all involved.

I reiterate, we all have to share the road, but if any of you drive these monstrosities I hope you’re allowing for oncoming traffic when you slide them around blind corners. For those of you who have to share the trails with them, watch out, they will win every time if you kiss bumpers on anything smaller than a Jeep.

--
    That stinks!! One of those machines with Mr. Awesome Driver might end up taking some guys out!

Those things need one very large area JUST for them. But, if thats what they love, we gotta respect their vehicle choice as well. Unfortunately, we share terrain.

They go very fast, and like to everywhere; And, it's fun! but you can't have people or ATV's around them or it's suicide.

That's why if I ever get to the dunes, all I could safely do is follow Kasey

Dunes don't seem to be too safe for inexperienced riders of the area...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    We are seeing a huge surge in side-x-side popularity up here in Tug Hill as well. Most of what we ride offers plenty of room but there are a few who just aren't riding right that push it too fast on some of the more narrow roads. Meeting folks like that has the same effect on me...

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great fro some people..I see alot more older folks out enjoying off-roading since the UTV has come out. But some of the younger crowd just push things beyond being reasonable. I love to go fast, but some roads just aren't suitable to high speed due to being narrow with blind hills and curves that don't allow room for 2 riders to pass when 1 is sideways and not keeping right.

In all fairness though, I see just as many riding 4x4 ATV's that push it a bit much and have narrowly missed me or others in my group as well...

All we can do is set an example and try to make up for others who haven't a clue... Kind of like riding a street bike and sharing the road with people driving autos that probably shouldn't be.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    I called on a Polaris 5 seater { aftermarket rear seat} up in NY a few weeks ago. I was speechless talking with him.. A few of his buddies have the Polaris.. SIX of his buddies have new Mavericks, 2 and 4 seaters, a few have commanders. And ALL of them trailer up and travel to ride!! I though the sled industry was nuts back in the 90's! $20000 for TWO sleds, all the gear and a nice trailer. And usually a new Suburban to yank it all North 6 hours.. These guys are dropping $20000 on a ONE stock buggy, Then slapping another $6000 into it to get it where they or their egos WANT it. THEN the trailers and tow rigs.. I personally have a 06 Rhino for the farm LOVE it. Have had the RZR , could not stand it. Just me. The 4 seater mavericks are literally bigger than a Colorado. I know, I saw one sitting side x side at the Can am dealer awhile back. ANYHOW. I was thinking ,while listening to this guy go on and ON about their rides. .. It's gotta be a real hoot to meet this freakin convoy of behemoths charging down the trail at you ... Be careful out there. That's all I've got for ya. Thanx for the headsup for trail riders.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Yea the price of those things is nuts. Unfortunately Monterrey has no shortage of people that can afford them and many of those same people have grown up with a sense of entitlement that makes them think that not only do they own the road, but that everyone else should GTF out of their way.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my riding patterns. I hope to trailer further out and do more single track riding when possible. The darn thing is that after hurricane Alex most of the trails were inaccessible if you didn't have a bike, so we were alone in a lot of areas. That was in 2010, but over the past couple years the governments has replaced and extended paved roads so that areas that once took 30 minutes of fairly skilled bike riding to get to is now a 10 minute truck ride with side X side in tow. There are now bikes, quads, side x sides, mountain bikes and hikers all spread out on what once were formerly desolate trails. The government has also sent bulldozers to open up some of the washed out secondary roads that lead to small mountain villages, so that's making the towns accessible to Pemex officials who can get from town to town with out backtracking and they're shutting down the places where we were buying our fuel. We road 180 miles after trailering 30 miles. We were only able to buy store bought gas once, so if that source dries up I won't have to worry about sharing trails with side x sides...

One good thing is that we usually hit the trails well before 8:00am when the drinkers are still sleeping, but when we're coming back they are headed our way.

--
    I ride out at Hatfield 2-3 times a year, and there are side x sides everywhere. To date, I have not had one issue with anyone out there. Many of the folks I see have their youngsters with them, and keep to a fairly reasonable pace. Only twice have I had any problems with other riders out there. The first time was almost two years ago. It was a group of big as$ heavy 4x4 quads, and they were drinking. The second time was just back in May, and that had to do with 2 dirt bikers that flew past our group (7 of us), narrowly missing my dad and a couple others behind me. When I say narrowly missed, I mean if my dad had farted it would have blown this dickhead off the mountain. We were all pretty pis$ed at that.

So far the blind curve issues I've had is with the younger crowd on sport quads that think everything is their own private track. Now, I do ride like a bat out of hell a good portion of the time, but, I ALWAYS wait to blast through a blind curve until I'm nearly through it, and can confirm there is no oncoming traffic. I always stay to the right, as well. There has not been a time when I have not led our group (no one else can follow a damn map) so there comes a lot of responsibilities with being the point man.

--
    It's idiots like these that are causing our riding areas to be closed down. My "local" riding area is about an hour from where I grew up. When I first started going there in 1997, it was almost all bikes there. Sure there was a Blaster, Banshee, or Warrior on the trails, but the few quads mostly stayed in the parking lots. I was the oddball out riding my 4x4 quad on the trails anywhere it would fit. Within 5 years, it was the opposite. Very few bikes. Back then, it was very relaxed with no real rules. The parking lots are gravel and you could just park anywhere and camp. It was great! Then people started using it as a party place. A lot of cars came out for a few hours and then left. Most people were gone by midnight. Some would ride quads around the campers like it was their personal race track all night long. Now there's a gate that is closed from 10pm to 8am. No camping. Park Rangers and the local sheriff's department both have regular patrols. Pretty strict rules. Most of the quads are big bore 4x4's now. They stick mostly to the bottom areas to play mud bog. You used to be able to ride a dirt bike through most of the mud holes, but not now. These days, I just stick to my bike and avoid all mud holes. It wouldn't surprise me if they start charging a fee to ride there. There aren't too many public riding areas in Kansas and these inconsiderate aholes just make it worse for the rest of us. It happens everywhere.

--
    Forgot to mention that the best thing is that there is a rule of 50" wide so most utv's won't fit between the steel posts that you have to go through to get to the trails.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedthumper View Post
    I ride out at Hatfield 2-3 times a year, and there are side x sides everywhere. To date, I have not had one issue with anyone out there. Many of the folks I see have their youngsters with them, and keep to a fairly reasonable pace. Only twice have I had any problems with other riders out there. The first time was almost two years ago. It was a group of big as$ heavy 4x4 quads, and they were drinking. The second time was just back in May, and that had to do with 2 dirt bikers that flew past our group (7 of us), narrowly missing my dad and a couple others behind me. When I say narrowly missed, I mean if my dad had farted it would have blown this dickhead off the mountain. We were all pretty pis$ed at that.

So far the blind curve issues I've had is with the younger crowd on sport quads that think everything is their own private track. Now, I do ride like a bat out of hell a good portion of the time, but, I ALWAYS wait to blast through a blind curve until I'm nearly through it, and can confirm there is no oncoming traffic. I always stay to the right, as well. There has not been a time when I have not led our group (no one else can follow a damn map) so there comes a lot of responsibilities with being the point man.

My friend you aren't lying about that! First couple of years on The Tug, I led my group most of the time...but now most of the family know their way around and I seldom lead now. I just play around at the back of the pack mostly
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Sound just like Wisconsin. Drinking and ATVing in Wisconsin+ DNR= to much paper work
    ]1986 ATC 330R
    1985 ATC 250R vintage PSI racing ported motor
    Get your replacement ATC 250R decals and custom Big Bore #'s here http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/catego...=2&pagegroup=1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    My friend you aren't lying about that! First couple of years on The Tug, I led my group most of the time...but now most of the family know their way around and I seldom lead now. I just play around at the back of the pack mostly
    You lucky duck!!! Someday I hope to be right where you are. At the back of the pack playing around! Must be nice. Ever since our first trip there in May 2012, I've led every trip. That's six trips thus far. Seven come October. On the bright side, I don't get cover in dust, dirt, grit, and sand!

--
    its not the machine, its the rider. i think they're cool, and i'd like to have one. i get it. they're wide, and fast, and people suck,, generally. but couldn't the entitled mountain bike hippies say all the same things about trikes? dangerous,, too fast,, bad for the trails,, gonna take one of us out,,,etc,, etc,, problem is the rich horseback people can say the same for the mountain bikers. pretty soon, everything is banned. people like different things. its always gonna be that way. my guess is the a-hole in the rzr would be just as much an a-hole on a quad, trike, dirtbike, mountain bike, or in the saddle. bottom line is you gotta be safe and treat others with respect. no matter what you drive. my 2 cents El. also, the rzr's look cool and go fast
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    Yup I saw a pair of side by sides a few weeks ago when I was out on the trails with a buddy, we had to take it kinda slow at 40mph down the old railroad bed because of the bumps and all that and they blew us away. I was out on the trails this past Saturday evening and didn't see anything though.

I just hate how big they are.

--
    In 09 I went on the Snirt run (Tughill) and there were a few sidexsides. 010 I went and they were everywhere.At first the only trail legal side x side was the polaris Razr they met the legal size. Last year they changed the law and now those huge 4-5 seaters are leagal. A local politician went in his huge suv I mean side x side and he help get the law passed.
    250r rules

--
    These things alongs with the Eviro Nazis have ruined the state park I used to love to ride at. I have lost all enthusiasm to trail/play ride anymore. I've set my bike up to be a dedicated racer and when they get around to screwing up racing for the second time I guess it will be time to either sell it or stick it in the corner again.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //