//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honda 200s Clutch Noise??

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Honda 200s Clutch Noise??

There is a knocking sound, kind of like something's loose on the clutch side of my motor. Sounds like its coming from the centrifugal clutch and only does it at idle. Clutch seems to be working fine though. I did have it apart a couple months ago to replace the clutch plates, but only started doing it recently. Any ideas what it could be??
    84'200s (Dad bought new in 84, long gone)
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84' Big Red (Cobra exhaust,good shape) sold in 08
    84' Big Red (Parts Bike, runs good though)sold in 08
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mike84bigred View Post
    There is a knocking sound, kind of like something's loose on the clutch side of my motor. Sounds like its coming from the centrifugal clutch and only does it at idle. Clutch seems to be working fine though. I did have it apart a couple months ago to replace the clutch plates, but only started doing it recently. Any ideas what it could be??
    I'm no Honda guy, but I believe the centrifugal clutch is the one directly connected to the crankshaft and usually has pads that look like brake shoes held in place with springs. The secondary clutch has flat steel and fiber plates and is driven by the centrifugal clutch. Is that the one you worked on? Let me know and if it is I may be able to explain the noise.

mike84bigred is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yes, that is the primary/ centrifugal clutch. I replaced the disc on the secondary, but I had to remove the primary clutch to get to the secondary, so it was indeed off the machine.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    85' 250SX (New plastic, Clark Plastic Gas Tank, Web Cam Camshaft, Cobra Exhaust, Moose Jet Kit, etc..) sold in 2010 and highly regret!!!
    04 Polaris Sportsman (Swapped 400 motor with a 500, Polaris wheels w/Kendra Bearclaws, Moose Fender Flares, Brushguard, Warn Winch)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Could it possibly be the clutch sprag? Its not so much a knocking noise, more of a grinding noise
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0JqCpmKZxg

Shared a video. Now its not the regular engine noise you can mostly hear, it's in the background and kind of intermittent. A deeper, grinding noise.
    Last edited by mike84bigred; 07-24-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    I would open it back up and make sure that no nuts have backed off. I don't know your engine, but usually clutches have lock washers, or use Loctite, or have very high torque values. If a nut has backed off and you keep using it you'll screw something up pretty quick.

--
    Ill get on it
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Well, I removed the right crankcase cover, ripping my new gasket of course, and didn't find the source of the noise. Bolts were tight. I removed the primary clutch just to see if anything got put in wrong and check the sprag. All looked good. The only thing I noticed is that both clutches, just the drum on the primary, had a little play in and out. I'm guessing that's normal. I will put it back together I guess, and see what happens.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Did you take any photos? Did you make sure all gears are lined up correctly from clutch to oil pump, crankshaft etc? http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fich...86&fveh=132728 There are 2 washer #12's in that image of the clutch. If either was missing that would make a lot of noise.

Your primary clutch gear should be riveted between the hub and a steel plate that holds a few springs in plate that are mean to absorb shock and keep things from wearing out or cracking. Over time the springs lose free length and the gear starts to beat on the rivets. I've seen a few get real loud, but the grinding noise you described makes sense only if your worn gear sets are no longer lined up the way they were all these years after you put it back together. A loose clutch basket makes more of a rattling, or whirling sound.

--
    The link is to the secondary clutch, not the primary. I think the noise is coming from the primary but I could be wrong. Might as well take a look anyway.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    Yes, I meant to say secondary, that's the one with the springs that makes noise when it's worn. Sorry.

--
    Well, I figured out what the noise was. I put the clutches all back in and started it up and the noise was 10× worse than before. I thought the crank was bout to throw a bearing when all of a sudden there was a ticking noise coming form my pull cord. I took the cover off and realized the flywheel came loose and was flopping around. Tightened it up, noise gone. Ugh, wish I knew that before.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

--
    We've all been there. Next time you want to find a noise grab a wood broom handle, or hockey stick and place one end against the running engine and the other against your ear, or the side of your head. It is a great way to find the source of a noise. Works great on cars too, just watch out for fans and pulleys.

--
    Ya I know the old broom stick trick and did it, but apparently not very good at it.
    84'YTM200 (sold 02)
    85'KLT160 (sold 05)
    84 200s (Needs work!)

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Mike,
    I heard this here I think, I have done it myself but haven't had to disassemble the parts yet:
    Grease both sides of your gasket before you put stuff together, supposedly the gasket won't stick to the metal parts you are disassembling.

ETA: I take that back. I have a recoil off of a Polaris expedition up on my bench that I told the guy to grease the gasket. It appears to have separated nicely with the loss of only one ear on the gasket that goes around a bolt hole. I wasn't there for the assembly or disassembly so I'm not sure how much grease or what kind of grease he used, nor how he manhandled taking the recoil off, but it appears to work not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //