//ArrowChat Code

Thread: For your safety.

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

For your safety.

Hey y'all, this is more than likely in the wrong spot but this area gets the most traffic.

For your safety, safety of your shop and toys, family, pets, anything else residing in your shop/garage/car port/home:

Unplug any kind of battery charger when you leave home.

One of our shops burnt today and destroyed an estimated (from the insurance person) 48,000 worth of parts, tools, our kart cylindered 02 CR85, 05 450R engine, NOS parts (including Terry Cable fork kits, heads/cylinders, clutch kits, cranks, forks, shocks, a-arms, axles, pipes, silencers, cases, swingarms, etc).

My uncle left for work this morning and forgot a Ryobi battery on the charger. The charger shorted out and the battery exploded. At least that's what we think happened going by the side of the building being blown out a good 7" right where the outlet was.

We are trying to save what we can but it's tough. This is one of those things that you would never expect could happen to you and it's all of ours worst fears.

The shop was my home away from home, and a better home than my actual home, for the past 6 years. My uncle and I have been spending every weekend together that we possibly could building bikes and engines there for the past 6 years.

Y'all, don't ever think that this CANT happen. It can.
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Wow, mad. Terribly sorry to hear about this. We leave our flashlights, and 7.2 volt cordless Snapon drill's batteries plugged in 24/7. I hope you guys managed to save a lot, and get her back together.

--
    So sorry to hear this. Glad no one was hurt.

--
    I will never trust a battery on charge of any kind with out being there, after I seen a rc "radio control" battery almost burn down my brothers house within a few minutes of plugging it in on a wooden kitchen table and walking out to the back yard to drink a few beers an groom the track, not sure what shorted but within 5 minutes I turned around to see the kitchen full of smoke from the battery and charger on fire along with table, thank god we were there to pull the plug out an throw the table out of the house! Glad you all are ok.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    So sorry for your misfortune, but thankful that you took the time to give others a heads-up. It was something I never gave a second thought, but I certainly will now. I hope all works out for you.

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The emotional toll is the biggest part. My uncle is like my dad. I've spent many a hour in there just goofing around with him while we wrenched on things. The 05 450 was our current project

This was our last build

too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    So sorry to hear but we thank you for the warning.
    I too, have seen too many thing go wrong.
    Cell phone batteries smokin' car seats,
    laptop batteries recalled for fires and on and on.

Some guy borrowed my battery charger, took it off the tractor and
    then hooked it back up BACKWARDS overnight for me.
    Why it didn't blow is a mystery to me.
    Maybe ryobi had a recall?
    Maybe they'll pay for it?

Some girl came across the field with a ford f250, shut it off,
    and handed the key to dad.
    Within minutes it was smokin like crazy.
    Solenoid stuck and shorted out.
    Not sure how we can be careful enough.
    Last edited by tri again; 07-23-2014 at 01:53 AM.

--
    Holy SHYTE bro, that really sucks to lose stuff in a fire. The 450 looks like it might be ok with a good pressure washing, or am I wrong?
    Baltimore---Charm City, or Harm City? Ask Pat.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //