//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 r carb help

--

85 r carb help

my r was a screamer. couple weeks ago i went to ride it and it was very boggish. wouldnt hit the power band but would slightly pull the front end when i goosed it after not cracking the throttle for a couple seconds then would bog down again. rode it today and it seemed to do better but still wanted to bog a bit and wheelies were still a bit tough. does this sound like a clogged jet? if so, how do you clean said jet(s) or whole carb? im new to 2 stroke maintenance.

thx, mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    I report posts...
    Apparently it tortures more than my wife...LMFAO
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...r-phantombiker...feedback

85 Tri Z...sold
    85 350x sold
    84 200x sold
    85 250r...sexy as he!!

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Could be a clogged jet. Could be a float valve issue. Could be a leaking crank seal. Many things could be causing this condition. How old was the pre mix? Are you using a non ethanol based fuel? Running a fuel filter? Checked peacock flow? I'm a carb freak...

Dave
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave8338 View Post
    Could be a clogged jet. Could be a float valve issue. Could be a leaking crank seal. Many things could be causing this condition. How old was the pre mix? Are you using a non ethanol based fuel? Running a fuel filter? Checked peacock flow? I'm a carb freak...

Dave
    pre mix a month old...non ethanol....dont know. no filter but now am considering one. petcock flow i believe is good because of performance after i refused to let off the throttle. it improved a touch but not much.

thx, mark
    I report posts...

85 Tri Z...sold
    85 350x sold
    84 200x sold
    85 250r...sexy as he!!

--
    Peacock ?
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Peacock ?
    thats too funny...lmao
    I report posts...

85 Tri Z...sold
    85 350x sold
    84 200x sold
    85 250r...sexy as he!!

--
    Is it a smooth bog or blubbery with alot of smoke? That will tell you if it's a lean condition or rich respectively.

My gut tells me it's probably lean and step 1 is to remove that carb, fully disassemble it for inspection and cleaning. That pilot jet has a teeny tiny fuel passage in it and it can be easily stopped up by the smallest of random debris.

If your carb is cleaned and verified OK and the problem still persists I would be looking for an air leak elsewhere.... Starting with the intake boot, reedcage gaskets, cylinder base gasket and then if those are OK look at crank seals.

Side note: ignition troubles can mimic carb/jetting problems. Sometimes the pulse generator can get corroded as well as the magnet on the flywheel that passes by it causing it to trip. If they are found to be crusty, clean with some mild sandpaper. I have experienced this firsthand with one of my R's.

Good luck!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Is it a smooth bog or blubbery with alot of smoke? That will tell you if it's a lean condition or rich respectively.

My gut tells me it's probably lean and step 1 is to remove that carb, fully disassemble it for inspection and cleaning. That pilot jet has a teeny tiny fuel passage in it and it can be easily stopped up by the smallest of random debris.

If your carb is cleaned and verified OK and the problem still persists I would be looking for an air leak elsewhere.... Starting with the intake boot, reedcage gaskets, cylinder base gasket and then if those are OK look at crank seals.

Side note: ignition troubles can mimic carb/jetting problems. Sometimes the pulse generator can get corroded as well as the magnet on the flywheel that passes by it causing it to trip. If they are found to be crusty, clean with some mild sandpaper. I have experienced this firsthand with one of my R's.

Good luck!
    thx for the info, bro. its more blubbery but performance got a bit better when i rode it the other day. still somewhat boggish though. i'll try cleaning out the carb first, though. btw, my fuel mix is 1 bottle of gold spectrum to 5 galons of go go juice. fellow at the local shop said it ok to run that mix through it. it seems to smoke as average and ran great when i started using the mix. even put a new plug in it.

thx, mark
    I report posts...

85 Tri Z...sold
    85 350x sold
    84 200x sold
    85 250r...sexy as he!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //