//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bigred rear shock work today.

--

Bigred rear shock work today.

In all the reading of previous postings from over the years I have noticed one common denominator ~ it appears to me every owner of the ES250 Bigred, no matter what year thinks the rear shock SUCK and I am certainly no exception. Many owners also chimed into various postings as far back as 10 years ago that they felt the same way about their 250SX.

Last Junes TrikeCircus ride Ditchmud always has a "gift" table that folks are encouraged to bring something usable to put on the table + every one gets a ticket and if your ticket # is announce you come up and pick something off the table until all is gone. I choose the red spring/rezzy shock. I will be darned if I can remember what it come off of but I kinda been eyeing it up for the Tecate. Tecate has a nice shock on it so started eyeing the Bigred over and said I think it will fit.

It does. Had to use a longer bolt in to the top mount, grind a little on the top mount frame area as far as the bottom area I needed to narrow up the red spring shock to match smaller sized big red bottom shock mount (only mount that I know of that is that narrow).
    I did need to remove the 4 bolt tow/haul thingy to get bottom shock bolt out and reinstall.

I will get a picture of how it now sits (slightly taller - no sag now). Standing on the rear rack jumping up + down the rebound is noticeably better. About the same near as I can figure on the compression side but instead of spring back in place it kinda like is cushioned back in place,,,sorta hard to describe.

Until I find another inexpensive ressy type shock that is softer, this one will do.

john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shock 1.jpg   shock 2.jpg   shock 3.jpg   shock 4.jpg   shock 5.jpg   shock stance 3.jpg  

shock 6.jpg  
    Last edited by jeswinehart; 07-27-2014 at 08:52 PM.

--
    Funny looking, but I'm sure that it will be a big improvement. Besides, you can only see the bottom when it's on the trike.

--
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/361004685138
    Looks like the 450r piggyback shock
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

--
    Yes, that's it Bren exactly. If I could incorporate a "pro-link" in with that shock I am sure it would be a huge improvement,,, but I don't see how I could revamp the whole configuration of whats there now.
    I have decided to take a whole new approach my suspension problem with out jury rigging original set up.

john

--
    Excellent. I have a 400ex shock looks just like that one and was goi to do the same thing. Nice thought on mounting it upside down. Thank you so much for posting this. And you sad u want softer. Isnt there a adjustment on the gas for that with a flat head.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/effortequalsresults
    83 atc 110
    77 atc 90
    80 atc 110
    85 200x
    85 200x
    87 250es
    79 atc 110
    1978 atc90
    1985 200s
    1985 atc70
    1983 atc 70

--
    Yes, there is the "softer ---harder" screw and it is turned all the way to the soft side. I also backed off the tension on the spring as much as possible but still too firm, near the original Bigred shock firm.

--

300EX front shock

Since I have the front end off of a 04 300EX I thought I would try one of the front shocks on the Bigred.
    Made up a adapter for the bigger end so I would not need to modify the shock or the mount on Bigred. I figured it would flop down and it did. I did not have a piece of nylon big enough to make a area for it to rest on the lower axle housing.
    Shock is set to the softest setting and has a lot more give/flex to it. I don't have much to run over in my yard that would be considered a bumpy ride so I put 2 4x8x12 solid blocks and hit them in 3rd gear,,, along with the neighbors 4 inch edges on his drive and a rotted stump.
    Better then a stock Bigred shock for sure ! Perfect, no. Just better.
    With me sitting on the seat it drops 1 1/4 inch according to the Mrs. measuring.
    I will work on whittling a alu adapter mount with a bottom hook on it to keep the adapter from flopping but need to get new band saw blades for the table top wood saw I use to cut alu.
    18 teeth per inch and a table top wood saw makes a perfect saw for cutting alu.
    I do have parts coming in for another project I have going on so this project will be more like to kill the boredom (low priority).

john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shock 5.jpg   shock 4.jpg   shock 3.jpg   shock 1.jpg   shock 2.jpg  

--
    Just a fyi there swiney. That is a 400ex shock. I wanted it for a back up for my 450 conversion. Then asked Rich and he said 400ex.

I got a good line on sled front shocks. I won't spill the beans yet on what till I know it works.

Looks awesome!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    John did the adaptor go with your big red when you sold It?
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

--
    No, I bolted the stock shock back on and scrapped the adapter peice.

--
    Just looking for a better option as you were. My 87 big red rear shock is shot.
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //