//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 350x stator improvments

350xorbust is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

86 350x stator improvments

What were the advantages of Honda changing the stators and flywheels for the 86 model year, on the 350x? I have both year setups, and was wondering which one would be better to run, and why.

--
    I've read that the 85 had issues with the coating that was put on the stator would melt, and the stator would be ruined. Also, the 86 stator and flywheel will allow you to use a 400ex cdi box. I have a Dynatech cdi on my 86.

--
    I can understand the coating issue, I have two 85 stators and one of them has a discolored coating , which im sure got hard and is now cracked.
    So if the 86 allows me to run a 400ex cdi, what would be the advantage with that? Price...power output...availability...or what?

--
    Altered ignition curve(s), timing advance, stronger spark... I can tell you this, there is a difference between my stock cdi and the Dynatech 400ex unit.

--
    Is Dynatech the oem manufacturer for the 400ex, or is the one u have aftermarket?

--
    Scratch that...did a little research. My new question is does the oem cdi have the same benifits? $ is always a problem , and i saw on ebay i can pick up a 400ex cdi pretty cheap. Or is it the dynatech cdi that gives the upgrade?

--
    And guess what else??

The 86 (just the the evolution of frame improvements) ALSO had 2 model stators on the 86 350X. No I did not check serial numbers but these were NOS crate motors, both 86 but they needed to use the complimentary flywheel.

Who says the 400EX CDI is even an improvement?? I'd go with it if there were 50 people saying how " awesome an upgrade this is!! " . I haven't seen that yet.

Just be aware that unless you can see the physical differences, don't assume the 86 has the 86 flywheel and stator your looking for. I've run both and haven't had an improvements or issues. I'll try the CDI when the feedback says " AWESOME!! "

DC
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    All i can say for sure is the two 1985 stators i have are identical, and the 1986 stator looks completely different. I dont which model of 86 engine i have.what i also know is the flywheels between those two years are 2 or 3mm...(cant remember exactly) diference in thete perspective diameters. If memory serves the 86 has the bigger INNER diameter...outside diam stayed the same. I wont bother buying a 400ex cdi either....spent enough on it already...unless it is a well proven upgrade like the ex carb is.....come on guys...anyone else heard of this??

--
    I can feel a difference with the Dyna over the stocker. I didn't spend much time with the stocker, only used it briefly when I had spark issues and thought the Dyna could be the problem. Obviously it wasn't. Turned out to be a poor connection at the stator. Anyway, the powerband just felt "flatter" with the stock unit. It feels more robust, or "sharper", to me with the Dyna.

--
    Did you try just a stock 400ex cdi box? If so did you notice any advantage with it? Can pick up a stock ex cdi, for a whole lot less that a stock 350x one....in fact about half the price. I would be willing to spend $30 on a stock ex cdi, before I drop $100 on the dynatech one, just to find no, or minimal difference. Not calling u a liar, just not willing to spend another $100.00 to find out.

--
    Hey, I understand. Money is hard to come by now-a-days. I have not tried the stock Ex cdi. I know it works, but, to what performance extent, I don't know. The main reason why I went with the Dyna unit was because my stocker had sat outside for god knows how long, and the last thing I wanted to do was get the bike together, kick it over and find that the cdi was bad. Also, the 85 stator (my engine is an 85) had water in it, as did the engine, and the harness was melted away in a fire long ago. So, I didn't see any sense in getting the 85 cdi, when it was known for the coating melting, and failing. I searched and searched and found an 86 stator and flywheel. Figured if I was going to use the 86 stator/flywheel setup, and was wanting to use the EX cdi, I may as well get a brand new cdi.

--
    Makes total sence. My situation was different in that I had 2 85 and a new 86 stators, and was trying to track down a non starting with the kikstart issue, and like I said the only way ...no offence here...that I would spend more $ to change out what I have that works now, is if there was a proven and well documented upgrade using either the stock or aftermarket ex cdi,s.
    Anyone....anyone at all out there experienceing a noticable increase in performance using one of these cdi,s on there x, please chime in. If what your saying is true, 6, then this is a fairly cheap performance mod, and I want in.
    Thanx 6, and Dirt, for your input and help....muchly appreatiated

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //