//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So whats the deal with pull starters - why are they so much $$$ on ebay?

--
    shoot MRSOUND I have about three decomp setups sitting in a box in my shed right now I prefer not to put them back in as half the time when a friend of mine does his famous superman pull he breaks the ropes and I am in a hurry to repair the pull start, as he is not mechanically inclined enough to repair anything on his 185s. Mabey I should start putting some of my honda parts up on ebay or make a list with pics in the sales page. I don't have a lot of parts, but enough just sitting here, And I have one of those famous lil 70's with a missing pull start, mine is a 1978, and it makes no sense to me why people take them off and just leave them that way.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Wow,,this thread hooked right up!. As a dealer who did these week in and week out back in the day. This is my perspective. All the good parts are dc. You can buy everything but the case chinese. I could be wrong ,and someone HAS done the case? I know Shortline would know The main pulley being the "heart". These are garbage. { Chinese} Yes,,you can put one in there and make it work just like new,,for a while. 25 years like Hondas?? Nope. Not even close. While the springs and dogs are just a few bucks. Usually a crack around a dog on the main pulley or,,a stripped/broken/slightly bent main pole of the case is the culprit. I have welded and repaired Honda pulleys to "work" for a while...Year maybe? But if it went out of here,my Name was on it. Not "the Boss'". So,that kind of repair was simply not done very often. I am obviously speaking of 185S,200S. I Very rarely got into the 70/s and 110's??. Anyone "thinking" of getting into them will quickly find there were a couple variations that will bite you. 125's do not fit 110. 185S,200S do not fit elec start models. etc. Then Yammie,,,reverse 2 strokes, different 4 strokes,,Suzukis looked similar lol.. It was fun. I can't begin to count how many 125,175 Yammies I re,rewound after the customer did them backwards
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I was looking on the pars fiche this morning for the 185/200's and noticed that pretty much everything except some of the bolts, like 2 springs, and the stopper pawls are the only things not discontinued. So it looks like it might be a supply thing after all.

Bill, do you know who is making those replacement parts? I looked on ebay some more and didn't see any kind of a stand-alone kit, just something someone has gotten the chi-coms to reproduce individually part wise I guess? I keep looking at the pieces, if everything isn't already made, but I bet between me, swiney, and a few other guys here, we could probably crank out the entire assembly. Housing too maybe even, I made a good contact with an aluminum foundry recently...

Rubber and plastic components - not a problem.

Springs might be a little bit tricky, but definitely doable.

Housing would be tricky, but doable for sure.

The actual "reel" I think is possible to make out of a good hard plastic or rubber, aluminum (foundry, again) is definitely a possibility also I think.

I'm serious about this, this seems like something that really needs to be investigated a bit further...
    Last edited by Billy Golightly; 07-29-2014 at 10:42 AM.

--
    WPS and Parts Unlimted have parts. I talked with the rep at the Parts Unlimited show about these parts and asked if there was any interest in 70 pieces. They said they would be interested if there was a demand. I have his contact info at home.
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/produ...oductId=196379

1985 Tiger 250LC
    1985 Tiger 200LC

1985 ATC 350X
    1985 ATC 200x
    1973 ATC 70 (resto project)
    ATC 70 Full A+ Suspension Mini Tiger
    and many more!!!
    1991 District-6 Open 4 Wheel 4-Stroke Expert Hare Scramble Champ

Blue Line Graphics
    Custom and Reproduction Decals
    http://www.bluelinedecals.com/

--
    If you search: "1984 Honda ATC 200S recoil" on Ebay, there should be a bunch of listings, 2 of which are buy it now listings from some shop's ebay store. Sorry, can't remember the shops name and I can't get to ebay on this PC, but the listings are for a recoil rebuild kit. The picture in the listing shows all the internal parts except for the housing. It has a $89 price on them.

From having mine apart, the housing is a stamped steel piece, with the shaft the assembly spins on welded to it, with a cast aluminum piece in the bottom (I think held by snap ring or pressed in) that is the seat for the coil spring. A bushing on the shaft, then the stamped steel "pulley" that consists of 4 pieces welded together as an assembly. The 3 dogs, 3 springs, the short coil sping that goes on the shaft, the stamped steel cover that goes over the dogs, the washer with "D" slot in it and the E-clip. Of course the rope and handle. That's it. I even took the recoil off my 90 just to make sure all the parts were still in the 200's recoil and they are. It was just the piece of steel that the dogs pivot on that was broke loose of it's spot welds was the only thing I could find wrong. Fixed that, but recoil still does not work. Pull the rope and the dogs do not extend out of the cover like they should.

So if someone could possibly explain why mine is not working, that would be great! Otherwise, I'm seriously looking at buying one of those "kits" off ebay.

--
    I honestly haven't ordered these pieces in a cpl years. Last I knew,,And as far as I know,,STILL are available.. J&M supply in Tenessee,and Mcdonald ATV in Arkansas,,both dealer only distributors... Stock these kits,,around $65 dealer for every single piece except the housing. As far as the pulley goes. You are defenitely onto something. 99% of sleds 81 and newer use a plastic pulley. Starting sleds up to 1000cc's.. Def doable,and a great idea. It would have to be strong though! Get Shortlines 185 for testing,,if it will start that 100 times. It'll last forever! I have a couple kits/pulleys left in stock I could lend... But they are chi,not Honda. You would want Honda obviously for a mold.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I have over 100 70/90/110 pull starts. I'm with shortline "better than money in the bank" I buy bikes all the time just for the parts. Scrap the plastics, forks and frames. There worth nothing on 90/110's. 70's frame and forks sell. I buy bikes all the time with the pull starts in a box. People just can't get them back together, or the tabs broke. I simply heat up the spring end and bend a new tab and drill a hole back in them. I paint some up real nice when I go to a local swap meet in WI. If I took ten a day For the 3 day swap I would sell each one for 80.00. I put them out there just to pay for my swap spaces.
    People just can't fix them cause they are to lazy! It's Easyer to spend the money on one that works and get back to playing x-box till it shows up. People are just lazy!!!

--
    I did blue27's recommendation and looked at the Parts Unlimited site and it looks like you can get individual pieces or an entire kit to repair a recoil. Further, I looked into the company that makes the part that P-U sells: company called Cycle Pro LLC. They look pretty legit and the pictures on their site looks like the pieces are pretty close reproductions. Maybe 3-Wheeler World could negotiate some deal with this company to get the price down?

--
    "So whats the deal with pull starters - why are they so much $$$ on ebay?"

because you need one, that`s why........."murphy`s law"

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    This pull start is reasonably priced. listed for a second time even.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390897615390...84.m1558.l2649

--
    I've rebuilt and sold quite a few of these over the last 7 months or so. It's weird the recoils with plastic internal parts hold up better than the ones with all metal internals. I can sell the rebuilt 185/200/200s recoils as fast as I can get them and rebuild. The 70's sell pretty quick also but they are the hardest to rebuild because they use an extra spring inside to retract the dogs. 200es/200m recoils sell pretty quick too (I'm assuming to people that don't want to bother fixing their e-start). The 110/125m recoils meh they take longer to sell and don't bring as much.

Here is the web page I made as I rebuilt them so I could keep all the info straight: http://atcvin.webs.com/recoilinfo

Rob
    Last edited by rdlsz24; 07-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.

--
    I had no idea pull starters were worth much much anything. I have a 125m with a bent frame and its just been sitting for so long. It sounds like i need to start putting up parts, starting with the pull starter.
    250sx, atc70, atc125m

--
    Good thread. I totally agree that many a starter has hit the scrap bin because the owners didn’t know how or want to fix them. Reading this reminded me of always having a spare rope in the snowmobile to wind on and do it the old fashioned way when the recoils failed or the ropes broke. Fast forward to today when most e-start bikes don’t even have kick starters and I can’t help but wonder what it’s going to be like trying to start my buddy’s 450 XC when the starter fails in creek one day.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //