//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis's trx400ex to atc400ex conversion build

--
    Another benefit of my mid rail change was alignment of the mid rails with the upper head mount. It's almost like it was meant to be. I wish i could say I purposely planned this outcome but it kind of fell into place. :-)

The weld on the front side turned out okay, not super pretty sadly. I'll need to add a backing plate/weld to prevent cracking on the back side. Most of the welds are going to have to be gone over again, most of them were done hovering without much place to prop and got a little wonky.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Here's the work on the rear seat mount. This hoop not only provides a solid mount for the rear of the tank but also supports the front of the seat. The intention is for the upper spars/rails to pass through the outside of this hoop thus the markings and notch cut into the tubing. After finishing this mount I've decided I need to do a minor revision on the front mount but nothing drastic.

You can see how close the tank is to the valve cover yet still has some clearance. This is a real challenge on these builds. Getting the tank and head tube low enough yet providing clearance for the engine is give and take. I may form a heat shield for the bottom of the tank eventually. Care was also taken to try to make sure the petcock was the lowest portion on tank. It's not perfect but I feel like it's positioned well enough there won't be a large cavity of unreachable fuel.

--
    Getting pretty close to running out of update material. As stated before I don't own a tubing bender (yet!) so I'm dependent on others for my bent tubing. I bought some conduit to do some mock up and test fitting of the upper rails/spars. Here you can somewhat see the diagonal line I mentioned before I'm trying to maintain and you can probably imagine the portion I'd like to make a fiber glass nose piece for the tank.

I spent a considerable amount of time making this pattern so bending the tubing should be pretty easy and hopfully done correctly the first time. Here's to hoping!

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Great fab skills! I'm a big fan of the 400 engine.
    1982 110, 1982 Big Red, 1983 70 Christmas Special X2, 1983 185s, 1984 200s, 1984 200m, 1986 250r, 1987 125m, 1987 lt500r x2, 2003 Rincon, 2008 700xx, 2016 pioneer 1000-5

R.J.M. is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Louis this thing is turning out really amazing. You do some really nice work with a ton of attention to detail. Can't wait to see this trike when it's done. Good job man
    1986 250R
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 200X (wife's)
    Honda 70's-x4 (kids)

1982 250R project

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Got these on the way to ya tomorrow!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1420657386517.jpg  

--
    Awesome Billy! Thanks so much! Hopefully get some more progress done on this build! woot!

--
    Man that is a lot of work, good job!

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    All I can say is WOW!!! Your fabrication skills are amazing!! I too really like the 400ex engine and available parts. Looking forward to seeing the final product

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Awesome work Louis!!

Is that welding table/frame jig something you made yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    The welding table and my welder cart I made myself, the jig was a do it yourself from a kit. It's really meant as a chopper building jig but it does what I need it to do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Awesome work Louis!!

Is that welding table/frame jig something you made yourself?

--
    nice work Louis, I didn't realize how much layout and fabrication goes into a quad conversion.
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Well Billy came through with my roll bent tubing! Huge thanks and props to him! It's finally time for an update to this thread.

Billy and I had hashed out what I had going on and my intentions and he bent up 6 different pieces for me, keeping in mind to try to have matched sets. This worked out great as I needed some different options to find what fit the build the best. One set ended up being too shallow a bend, but the other two sets came out just about perfect so I used a set and have a spar if needed for this build or perhaps another build.

Got started by rough notching the one end in

and then I made a couple measurements and made diagonal cut on the other end.

and through the magic of the internet time lapse it fits perfectly in one try! Just kidding, it took about an hour of test fitting, slicing off another slice, test fitting and cutting again to get this to fit how I was happy with it.

More internet time lapse magic later and I had a matched set!

One last mock up pic, looked pretty close on the other side I promise. lol

--
    Next I cut out the side gussets for the headtube area. I've been told several times I overkill the headtube area but honestly I'd rather go too far then not enough in my opinion.
    I made some card board templates, transfered them to some 1/8th" plate and carefully cut it out with some well placed drilled holes and my jig saw.

Later on I cut out some ovals in the top to mate up the edge of these gussets with the tube spars that wrap the sides of the tank.

--
    A little disclaimer for the next couple posts. I'm not professional welder, I'm a hobbyist and not a very experienced one at that. My skill is improving quickly but I'll be 100% honest some of these welds are really ugly. I only own a tig welder, so all of my welds are tig welded. While they might not be pretty and there are definitely mistakes, I can promise you I've made sure I'm getting good penetration and am forming sound welds if not a little ugly. Many of the uglier welds you'll see are actually ugly mostly because of multiple passes that have been made trying to fill in low areas etc.

With that out of the way... lol. It was time to dive in to attaching the upper spars and that meant solid welding the down tube to the head tube.

No turning back now, hopefully all of my measurements and mock ups prove to be well thought out because the head tube angle isn't changing now.

Ran a bead on the other side as well. It's really tough honestly because as you heat up the metal it starts moving and changing shape. My greatest fear was that the heated metal would twist something out of place. I made extra sure to have everything secure in the jig and did the best I could to heat both sides evenly. (So far I seem to have succeeded.)

Here it is after a couple more passes and some fill in.

Other side. I also welded in the curved peice of tubing holding the mid rails to the upper spar mount.

I stoped and cleaned discoloration and general dirt several times and at one point switched to larger filler rod which seemed to really help it along.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //