//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2004 300EX quad to trike conversion.

--
    DOHC is right. These modern trikes are paving the way for the future of 3 wheelers. I said it once in this thread, and I'm saying it again, this makes me want to use the 300ex frame I have for a trike project. I have a complete 350x front end to put on that bad boy...

Jeswinehart, other then some better, taller bars, I'd install some extended rear wheel hubs and possibly an extended swinger if it's really wheelie happy. For some reason I remember the 300ex being very wheelie happy with that extra front wheel, how is it with the proper front wheel count? lol. Oh yeah, and an exhaust, air filter, high comp big bore, cam, porting... ALL the good stuff! Hahaha!

--
    Hey john, long time no talk! Question, what did you do with the front half of that? I'm building a 250x/350x quad for my wife and could use some of the parts you don't need anymore. I might have a few boxes of spare 300ex/250x parts laying around and maybe a supertrapp full exhaust. Give me a call if you still got my number laying around
    Leave feedback for me here : [Please Don't start another thread again!]
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...for-MagicJames

Current :
    86 250SX
    86 350X
    86 250R Project

Owned and Sold

85 250R
    2 ATC70's 84 and 79

--
    Sorry James, that front end didn't hang around long,,,, kept getting in my way.
    Patrick, you are right about the rear wheels need spaced out a wee bit. I suppose I will put wheel spacers on my shopping list. The handle bars seemed fine to me. Kevin seemed to think they was okay too. In doing some ruff measurements these have 3 inch height and the 350X stock bars have 4 inch rise.
    Since you guys have pretty much been correct on your observations I will be on the look out for BigX bars or at least some that are 4 inch rise.
    Now as far as a wheelie machine, no not really. I didn't seriously try to bring the front end up but 2nd. to 3rd. gear pretty much pinned it never raised up which is just fine with me. But then again, I don't often hit the gas that hard (anymore).
    Kevin thought steering should be a little looser. Got it home and discovered I had really cranked the retaining nut down much more then needed (and never greased the roller bearings either).
    Perhaps just a little more rake but I am going to called it good enough for this season. I will need to do some trimming on the stock 83/84 front fender coming in this week, no way it will clear exhaust.
    Just for comparison Kevins stock 83/84 250R measures 1 1/2 inches longer center to center front to rear axle. I ain't striving for it to be like a stock R but rather just an interesting comparison.
    Mike Pargellio, if it survives next week ends ride near Rose City (camping at Ambrose Lake), it will be up to Baldwin in October.

Thanks guys, john

--
    That's cool, dude. The TUSK extended rear wheel hubs are very nice. I have a set on my sister's 250ex. Will widen it by 3.5" total.

I forget what the rise and pull back is on my ProTapers I put on my 350x. They feel great for me.

--
    Now I remember. They are the ProTaper ATV High bend.

--
    should put some smaller rear tires on and pull the forks down to the triples. If you do not have coin for higher bars, just double up a top bar clamp under it and use longer bolts. I used CR hi bars on all my 3wheelers, but cut the bars down inch off per side. Its looking better.

--
    Well for sure the trike fund level has went down some, time for me is the more critical factor. I don't know if these EMGO HANDLEBARS

•Carbon Steel 7/8" replica handlebars

•No pad on crossbar

•OEM Brand: Honda ATC

•Width: 28.5"

•Rise: 4"

•Pullback: 2.75"

•Center Width: 7"

•All bars are knurled

•No paint on throttle side

•Plastic end caps

bars will be here in time for this week end, I am more so getty ancy about the head light and other parts coming in from California.
    I have a fog light I can slap on there to meet Michigan rules for the few county roads will most likely be on this upcoming weekend.

--
    I have bought and sold dozens of sets of the EMGO ATC bend in several colors. In my opinion they will be just right on your project, looks wise.

--
    After having the pleasure of riding this little gem, I would say that it is a great build! Has lots of power, great handling, not a wheelie machine at all, everything feels right with it. Great job John!
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Looking good. 300ex was my first quad. They are a great size, similar to a 200x but with more power.

Rob

--

200x ?

I don't think they are anything close to a first gen 200X IMO,,, this machine actually has power after 3rd. gear + quite a few much better traits.
    BUT, like I have said in ealier postings about this 300EX + Honda not using what they learned in past (reverse shift/back up start/choke systems) I believe I have found yet another area they managed to engineer stupid into this machine.
    With Honda keeping with the practice of NO grease zirks on any dam thing they recommend to service on a regular basis I needed rear axle bearings on this 10 year old "trike".
    What I ran into in taking the axle out I really was in no way prepared for. Everything that was inside the swing arm housing was rusted SO bad I had to use hand held band saw, sawZall, hand grinder to get the axle out and bearings removed. I had to first cut off the disc brake mounting hub to get assembly out of the swing arm housing.
    Once I had that in vice proceed to cut/grind/beat the bearing carrier to get to the bearings where I repeated the cut/grind/beat method for bearing removal.
    I have had my fair share of 25+ year old bearing replacements with machines I have had since 1985. NONE ever have I had to do this too.
    I have never seen inside the carrier (or noticed before) it having holes, 8 of them to be exact. I am positive the swing arm is not water tight so where to drain any moisture ~ into the rear bearing housing. WAY to go Honda. 's

I will post up what I will do, as I have done in the past on machines, to correct the "stupid hurts" logo Honda is SO proud of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axle rust 1.jpg   axle rust 2.jpg  

--

assembly

it took just over 2 and a quarter tubes of grease and a zirk adapter to stuff the swing arm full from inside the carrier.
    Double width bearing carrier came with a grease zirk and I used the grease gun zirk adapter to first fill the inside of the new carrier thru where the stopper bolt was originally (bolt no longer needed) and then I filled the cavity around the outside of the carrier that is inside the swing arm housing.
    3 tubes of grease total used.
    Replacement brake disc hub will be in middle of next week,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zirk 1.jpg   zirk 2.jpg  

--
    Are you concerned that you filled the outer cavity with grease that it will cause your carrier (chain) to come loose?
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Well, never even thought about it in the aspect Derrick ! We shall see how well the pinch bolts do their job.

--
    Don't know if you are still looking into bars, but the Easton EXP's I use are all a CR bend. Don't know what the measurements are exactly, I think you have ridden or sat on it at least. They are really comfortable to me, feels just a tad wide even though it barely fits all my controls/hand guards. Might get the fasst flexx next time, but thats $$$$

1984 ATC 200XR
    1984 ATC 300R
    1983 ATC 88

Feedback for Mike Pargiello

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //