//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 300EX quad to trike conversion.

--

2004 300EX quad to trike conversion.

In a attempt to get a much better suspension then the 85 Bigred could ever offer I bought a 300EX that had the traits I want. Electric start + reverse in a not so big of a package being I ain't exactly a large framed fellow.
    Never done anything like this before. Basically going be a all bolt on type of build until I know for sure which way I need to go with front end.
    Choose 83/84 250R front end. I was very happy with the ride on the 84 250R I had years ago so that influenced my choice to start with.
    This build will be one of those "on going" projects, not going be married to this front end (nor the stock 300ex rear shock either ) but like I said, just a starting point.
    Honda took many steps backwards in the reverse design as compared to SX + ES machines from years before. You need to use your right hand reaching down on the left side of motor to engage/disengage reverse/forward lever ~ what was they thinking !
    The choke lever is so buried I need to squat beside the machine on the left side to even see where the heck I am trying to get one finger onto (to crowded for more then one finger), very awkward at best. I will be hooking up a remote cable to solve that sorry design.
    With front end all removed I did find there is 4 hard point threaded holes so I have mounted a 3/4 inch thick alu plate that once goose neck is welded to flat steel plate I will be able to drill and thread 6 to 8 bolt holes to mount steel plate/goose neck (goose neck won't be here till next Friday). I did add 2 nut + bolt to the lower cut off frame area for more added holding power.
    Yeah, so just going for function first ~ looks,,, I don't give a hoot. I need better suspension.
    Great info in this > http://www.chromedoutmag.com/rake-tr...try/tech-tips/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ex 3 -1.jpg   ex 3.jpg   after the cut.jpg   before the cut.jpg   300ex 1.jpg  
    Last edited by jeswinehart; 08-02-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: info added

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Cool project, john
    Chris

--
    Neato! Keep us posted.

--
    Cool idea! You're right about the reverse. The setup was HORRIBLE. I'm not sure what the difference is, but maybe you can use the improved one off of a newer one? These engines were basically bulletproof as long as you're not trying to get big power numbers out of them. They were decent performers stock. Should be an excellent trail trike. Maybe you could find a trike with a Missle kit on it and use the front end for a "reverse trike". Think off road CanAm Spyder.

--
    i just traded my 300ex a little over a month ago, it's kinda hard to watch you cut that one up, it looked to be in darn nice shape, i agree with the choke lever suckage, and the whole idea behind the reverse set up is to make the rider release the throttle so the engine remains at idle when shifting into reverse, i didn't really care for it either, curious to see how this project turns out..............

--
    I guess you did cut it up, I thought you were going to wait until the winter, lol.
    Great start
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Just out of curiosity, why aren't you just installing that motor into the 350X chassis? I mean it's a bolt in deal and there is lots of aftermarket parts out there still for the 350X. The suspension is pretty nice on them too.
    2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--

I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Adams View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why aren't you just installing that motor into the 350X chassis? I mean it's a bolt in deal and there is lots of aftermarket parts out there still for the 350X. The suspension is pretty nice on them too.
    I just found out a couple of days ago that the X + EX motors swap over that easy. If I knew about it beforehand I forgot about it,,,, would not have mattered anyways I suppose.
    I did get a bracket made for remote choke cable plus a clamping bolt for the ill placed choke lever.
    I definitely have a workable idea about making that shifter a left foot operated affair. Might as well tinker with that for awhile.
    Choke cable I will most likely use > http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-CH...item2ed4c83864
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EX choke 3.jpg   EX choke 2.jpg   EX choke 1.jpg  

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I totally forgot about how those frames were shaped - thats actually fairly conducive from a fabrication stand-point to turning into a trike it looks like.

Very interesting project - will keep an eye on this one one John!

--
    Why would you want to put a 300ex motor in a 350x? Besides the obvious electric start and reverse I dont get it. Doesnt the x motor make more power than the 300?

--

Foot shifter

I believe I have seen some sorts of a similar set up on old Harleys
    With this particular EX I don't think you can shift into reverse until the clutch is engaged.
    I don't have but a couple of hours seat time (if that much) on it as a quad but recall trying my hardest to get into reverse and couldn't because I did not have the clutch lever all the way drawn in. Old Bigred habits die hard,,,.
    I can feel/hear it hit the stops so that is a good thing. Any final tweaking that may be needed will wait until I get handle bars + clutch perch + lever back in place.
    It's okay to laugh since I am even chuckling over this set up but at least it will be hands free operation ~ dose have a small roller bearing for smoothness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foot shift 3.jpg   foot shift 2.jpg   foot shift 1.jpg  

--
    I think it would be way easyer to just put it in a 350 frame
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    A 350X don't fit me well enough to have anymore then the 2 I have over the years.

This is the very first sentence I typed when I started this thread > In a attempt to get a much better suspension then the 85 Bigred could ever offer I bought a 300EX that had the traits I want. Electric start + reverse in a not so big of a package being I ain't exactly a large framed fellow

--
    I was going to do this years ago and the idea popped into my mind again this summer since I have an endless supply of 300ex/250x parts.

Id like to see what you come up with. I also like the 300ex size as its is a decent go almost everyware run for ever atv.

--

Progress,,,

received the gooseneck and a assortment of other parts during the week and made good progress with the project.
    Remote choke cable installed, final length to the top triple tree area to be determined. The bracket I took time to cut and install will definitely be well worth the effort.
    Twist grip throttle installed ~ right thumb shot, prefer a twist throttle.
    test fitting of the gooseneck kinda went south with a over cutting of angle, nothing that the welder won't be able to overcome, just will cost me a few more dollars I suppose,,,
    My idea is to have the steel plate welded to the gooseneck and drill and tap threads into the 1 inch thick alu plate that is bolted to hard points on the front of frame.
    I don't want anything permanently welded to frame at this point since all you see is temporary (but a heck of a improvement over how my 85 Bigred rides).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ex 3.jpg   ex 2.jpg   ex 1.jpg   ex 4.jpg   ex 5.jpg   ex 6.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //