//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to ATV's, big and heavy these days!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankencelery View Post
    I'd never own a quad at all until last week. I bought my wife, who really wanted something more stable, a 2008 Honda Rancher. This dealer didn't carry anything with a foot shifter, I kid you not. What's up with that? Anyway, I went with the electric shift, because it was a Honda and what could go wrong? Well, try not shifting at random times. See my rant about this in Quad Central? So it's back at the dealer and they're working on it. They've got to put a code reader on it and see what the computer says. Wait, what? The good news is that this particular dealer said in no uncertain terms that they would take care of it, which is a breath of fresh air.

I ran into a couple of these huge UTVs or whatever they call them while on vacation in MN last week. They take up the whole trail. I keep looking at them, and a part of me thinks they're really cool, but another part says "Hey, if I wanted a fricking Jeep, I'd buy a Jeep!"
    Got to love foot shift!

--
    im in agreeance with ghost, if you want a atv thats the size of a jeep and cost as much might as well just buy a truck, can do alot more with a truck, carry far more cargo and most of all drive it on the street, i just have no idea why a offroad only atv could cost 10k, ridiculous..

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    im in agreeance with ghost, if you want a atv thats the size of a jeep and cost as much might as well just buy a truck, can do alot more with a truck, carry far more cargo and most of all drive it on the street, i just have no idea why a offroad only atv could cost 10k, ridiculous..
    Well you have a good point but what I meant was I would buy a truck with that money because I need a truck. I drive a minivan and it sucks. So I've been looking for a cheap small truck like a ford ranger or Nissan or something. 4cyl 5spd. Just something good on gas and enough to haul the bikes around. Plus I'd have money left over to buy the big boy trikes.

BUT, you got a good point. That's what it ment.

dman10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Like my uncle said, It's stages. The trikes were the first stage, small quads came next, then larger quads, and next will/is the UTV
    Quote Originally Posted by tri again View Post
    Cool stuff seems to happen when I'm sleeping.
    Nice to know things happen without me.

--
    depends how much you want to pay to brash trees at 15mph.

I would rather see a larger motor in a smaller sized quad as most of these things do not need to be race ready 50" wide for the trails.

--
    I agree with you guys - Polaris RZR 1000 XP - 4: $16,000 out the door price! I could build a heck of a jeep for that money! The other one I do not get is people pay that for these, then here in Michigan, go buy and install all the stuff to make it road legal! Windsheild, windsheild wiper, horn, turn signals and D.O.T. approved tires. So $16K for the machine, then $2K in accessories to make it legal plus now insurance and state license fees???? Don't get it. Go pick up a Suzuki Samari for $4K and have a better set-up.

But, on the other hand, I have been looking at the RZR 540 and now the Honda Pioneer 500 for my wife. She has a shoulder injury, so anything with handle bars won't work for her. So a steering wheel is her only option and these machines will fit down the 50-inch wide trails.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    To each their own.

BUT, one must remember the community being addressed here. There is a reason why we're all still on trikes and others are not. I might venture to guess that a good portion of UTV owners are the very same people that sold their ATC250R's to us and bought a TRX or a Banshee. Of course those massive quads and UTV's aren't for us, which is why we're gathered here to have this discussion.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, this country is driven by excess. The bigger and better your stuff is, the higher your status is, the more popular you are, the prettier girls you get, and so on. I could have a giant quad or UTV if I wanted one but I don't. I like trikes. If a UTV guy doesn't like that he can go somewhere else, I don't care. However the giant quads and UTV's can have an effect on us and the environment because of their huge footprint and weight. Trikes don't have nearly the impact.

Another thing, most of America is big, fat, and lazy. Not long ago our trike group came upon a group of 4x4 guys in the woods. I'm fairly certain most of them wouldn't have even fit on my machine and God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 08-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.
    Ok, THAT's hilarious. People type "LOL" all the time for no reason at all, but I actually laughed out loud at that one. At work! People looked in at me and asked if I was all right. I told them I was watching cat videos.

Best quote of the year, Fabiodriven. Can I put it as my tagline?
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Haha, go for it buddy!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Ok, done! Should I leave the part giving you credit (or blame, depending on your point of view)?

--
    A big side by side are bigger than a suzuki sidekick and stay stuck in vtt trail it's rally car.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankencelery View Post
    "Hey, if I wanted a fricking Jeep, I'd buy a Jeep!"
    Which is what I did! I got into Trikes through my Jeep JK. I mean spending 10k on a quad when you can get a YJ or CJ for that is nonsense.

--
    I do think that side by sides are cool, and would love to have one for the farm. But, they are too darn expensive! Even the Yamaha Rhino knock off from Massimo is 8k. I can't get over how much these suckers cost and how much more money people dump into them, right off the show room floor.

Like I said earlier though; I have not had any issue with these monstrosities on the trails... Yet. When we last went to Hatfield, back in May, one of the guys in our group had a John Deere utv. Not one of the sport models though. More like the sport/utility cross. Anyway, it was really neat to see how that thing reacted so differently then how our quads did. Wish I dad my X finished then :/

You have to admit though, watching these morons is freak!n hilarious!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFTOnKFvIs

--
    They really are getting too big and heavy....I can understand the power demand but the size and weight of these machines really takes away from the riders ability to control the machine....I have friends with Polaris Xp 850s. They have good power but man if that baby landed on you your screwed...like others have posted I like machines I can toss around....here in New England there's not a lot of places to utilize 850cc's

--
    I want a clutch
    I want a manual shifter
    I want to be able to lock my brakes up without a computer second guessing my decisions
    I want a peaky engine with a narrow power band
    I want a vehicle that I can lift out of a mud hole without calling AAA for a tow. I want to smell and hear my exhaust
    I want to be able to fix what I brake and not just replace it
    I want to HAVE to stand up and speed pray when I realize I'm about to hit a big rock, or log

Not because any of this is "better", than what some of these new behemoths offer, but because I want to DRIVE my vehicles, not ride them as some mysterious black box makes all the decisions for me. All that's missing on some of these beasts is a "BigBrotherMobile"decal.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //